Last night Danny went out for a meal with his brother Mike.
“You can have your cheese on toast thing.”
Danny thinks of this as a snack but it was a staple supper with me for years. Last night I supplemented the cucumber with thinly sliced raw courgette and used a mild goat’s cheddar. The result was a superb combination of flavours. The trick to this delicious light dish is to grill the layered toast very gently for about 20 minutes until the cheese layer is just melting. Its perfect partner is an ice cold beer.
Deluxe cheese on toast recipe (for one)
- 1 slice of bread (can be a bit stale)
- A length of courgette sliced thinly
- 4 baby plum tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 slices of streaky bacon
- Mild goat’s cheddar cheese sliced thinly
- Make a foil plate with small upturned sides to hold the bread.
- Lay the sliced courgette evenly over the surface of the bread keeping them away from the edges.
- Cover the courgette with the two layers of the thinly sliced cheese, making sure that the courgette and crusts of the bread are covered (otherwise these will burn before the rest is ready).
- Place the sliced tomato on the cheese and pop the streaky bacon on the top.
- Put the foil tray under a very low grill and leave for about twenty minutes until the cheese has melted and spread.
- Season with plenty of ground black pepper and a dash of Lea and Perrins.
Leave a reply