stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2015 Weather Today
Sun 8-Nov-15
10:16 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6690
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1261sp_Permalink sp_Print

Still bleak, but not raining, better than yesterday.

Sun 8-Nov-15
1:39 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
1262sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Just an awful day here, with gales and rain.  The sea is wild and the ferry is having some trouble.  Really miserable.  Don't think the dogs will get very far this afternoon!

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 8-Nov-15
3:39 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
1263sp_Permalink sp_Print

We were very lucky yesterday.  As forecast the rain stopped at lunchtime and we had a lovely afternoon around Lanhydrock estate.  Today however, it's been dreary and now it's started raining again.  It's quite windy too.  The washing will have to be dried indoors as the forecast for the next five days is not much better.  Musn't grumble too much as it's still mild, not at all like November weather.

Sun 8-Nov-15
4:42 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
1264sp_Permalink sp_Print

So sorry to hear about your gales Danuta, I hope it won't stop you sleeping. 

I'll try that again!

Mon 9-Nov-15
3:02 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
1265sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Just going out with the dogs and hoping I do not drown!!!!!  big_laugh   big_laugh

Mon 9-Nov-15
3:37 pm
george74

2nd Grader
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 12
1266sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rain is ending. I would have gone fishing last night but a very strong WSW wind was blowing with some drizzle. I fish out on a 400 foot wall, way out at the end under the light which lights the harbour entrance and it is all wild and grand in foul weather; but I find WSW winds have bad success, strong S and SE are fishable and typically means I get the spot to myself. I hope to go tonight, I have someone who wants 15 pounds of fish. I expect it to be high breeze with clouds but no rain, the weather forecasts are pretty good. I will wear long underwear though.

What dogs do you have? I have way too many but am a complete dog person - I speak dog and have them by me 24 hours a day. I am not allowed to get into my truck without Flora, my brain damaged white Lab. I have a long and short haired Chihuahua, a wire haired terrier, and the Lab. I am laying on my bed with Flora against my side, Jack under the covers by my feet, and lexie laying on the bed corner. Weasel is aloof and on the sofa.

Dogs, you can even see the Lab in the mirror. Weasel, the short haired brown and white one hates rain and swimming - the others are sort of OK with it but come back inside after a short time.

Image Enlarger

Mon 9-Nov-15
4:02 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
1267sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Hi George and welcome.  I have two black labs, one 10 and the other one 6.  Shuna, the younger one loves swimming and is in the sea most days as I live right on the coast.  Ben likes to paddle, but not much more.  They do not mind the weather and the rain at all,  as long as I have a ball with me!!.   They truly are my best friends!   smile

Mon 9-Nov-15
5:42 pm
george74

2nd Grader
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 12
1268sp_Permalink sp_Print

My current lab, Flora, (named after Dame Flora McLeod) is 10 but has bad health, mentally and physically. Her litter got Parvo, a deadly viral disease that brings on high fevers and is inevitably fatal. Of the 8 she was the only survivor - but was kept alone in a cage during her formative weeks instead of being in a group and with the mother. Then the fevers can damage the brain - she is a very scared dog, very clinging. My house is 13 foot off the ground and she is terribly afraid of stairs, and then her hind muscles are weak....... But she is my shadow. A very loving dog, and my disabled friend - she is at my feet now.

My previous dog was a white Lab who went to work with me and was basically with me 24/7 fifteen years. We spent her first 4 years living in the Northern wilderness when we spent our time walking in forests and living in camps and she became almost psychic at knowing what she should do. At 10 she went 100% deaf overnight and we never noticed hardly as she watched me so much she knew what she should be doing at any time. I had taught her hand signals when young and with that she kept going to work with me (carpentry) till she died at 15. I was so linked with that dog she was an extension of me - I could never have that tie with another thing again. Here she is in the bus we lived in for 6 years - that was her spot. She could walk a spruce pole 4 inches in diameter 20 foot off the ground - could walk 2" X 4" porch railing like a cat, growing up in the Taiga forests which had burnt and much blown down it was always climbing 'blow downs' of spruce trees burnt free of limbs - and she could climb and walk them like a cat. She could climb a tree! She was a fantastic mouse hunter in the rotten snow, working up there dogs are always famished and loved eating a nice mouse - and fish, we would live on fish sometimes and she loved it! The times we had - she was a good dog - she and I once spent 5 months alone in the bush (I started to go a bit nuts - solitary is a weird thing, it messes with your head) and listened to me talk to everything, solitude does that to you - we had a family of ravens living near and they talk all day - and I could get them to answer me.

My current dogs are just doggy dogs. She was like totally aware, she knew what was going on all the time, knew what she should be doing and did that. She could ride in the bow of my Zodiac going through waves that put you airborne - people had to hold the ropes and would be beaten up by the roughness - she could ride it through the worst and think nothing of it. She was like a gymnast, but just looked like a stoutish white Lab. Sorry to go on and on - I am waiting for my wife, I have to get some electrical supplies and she has the truck.

As a side a falcon is stalking my chickens right now and the dogs are keeping it at bay - he just sits in the tree above watching. Fortunately the falcon (or hawk) is smallish and the roosters are big. Jack the terrier is very good at protecting the chickens, when they begin shrieking he is off like a streak to run anything off (the chickens are 300 foot off from the house in the woods.)

Image Enlarger

Thu 12-Nov-15
11:42 am
Xahha
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231
1269sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lovely sunny day, cooler than of late but pleasant to dog walk.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Thu 12-Nov-15
11:57 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8082
1270sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sun's now coming and going (mostly going) and it's getting really blustery.....some spots of rain too.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Thu 12-Nov-15
2:49 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
1271sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Absolutely horrendous here!!!!  Gale force winds and rain.  The ferry has been struggling for a while and is now tied up with queues of traffic, including tour buses going to Mount Stuart,  waiting hopefully.  I know it has to get worse than this too!!  eeek

Thu 12-Nov-15
5:12 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
1272sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was glorious here this morning, so we went on a little jaunt to Edge Hill and surrounds, where we had lunch at the Castle overlooking the Edge...

The weather deteriorated whilst we ate but we got back into the car and turned the heating up and were fine. A little blowy on the way home but nothing as bad as Argyll.  I hope you and everyone else stays safe Danuta.

I'll try that again!

Thu 12-Nov-15
5:38 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
1273sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stay safe Danuta and Tina.  It's been dreary all day here and now the wind is getting up but nothing like the forecast for Scotland.

Fri 13-Nov-15
9:15 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6690
1274sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very Windy here, and cold, but the Sun is shining, been a horrendous Night, this is the worst thing when you live alone, and as I have said before I am not only on top of as Hill, but sort of the last Outpost before the Country. But, heigh ho, it's another Day, and the Sun is shining.laugh

Fri 13-Nov-15
12:20 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
1275sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave No storm came anywhere near here last night after all, thank goodness.  The sun is shining just now, but we are having intermittent spells of very heavy icy rain and strong wind.s  Having been soaked this morning I shall try and pick my time for going to the beach a bit carefully this afternoon!!!  big_laugh

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
28 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8082

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6690

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16078

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

runzerjosi, linsellore, Michaelnut, anithadixon, hotdogmen, kittycatkitty

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder