Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Achievements for the day 2011
Mon 10-Jan-11
10:01 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Forum Posts: 8421

wave  Och, you'll manage that nae bother hen.  Is your second name not Wonderwoman??????

Well my meeting ( after me moaning about it ) was excellent.  We made important decisions and made really good progress.  The weather up the glen is still very snowy and the roads quite slippery, although here it raining and windy still.  

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class
Mon 10-Jan-11
10:14 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Forum Posts: 13615

Well Lyn, if they are all together there we should be able to round them up.  I reckon Janet has them all – see what she does! Ffpt.

I'll try that again!
Mon 10-Jan-11
11:11 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Forum Posts: 8035

Terrier said:

Finished the wallpapering in the kitchen today – Hurrah! – just got the beams to re-stain, ceiling/floorboards to paint, new plaster work to paint, new carpet to buy and put in, curtains to make and then we'll be done.

Is that all, Janet?
I'm now quite dizzy at the thought !!! laugh
welldone

Life doesn't require that we be the best

Only that we try our best

- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Mon 10-Jan-11
11:31 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Janet, are you any good at plastering?  My bedroom walls look as though they were built on different days by different labourers.

I'll try that again!
Tue 11-Jan-11
8:59 pm
shelley
Toulouse, France

Councillor
Forum Posts: 1165

Toffeeapple said:

. So, today, as I walked into Tesco, past the cigarette counter I did a quick calculation of how much money I had saved by stopping smoking (£337.15 in eleven weeks!Posted Image

wow I didnt realise you had recently stopped smoking !  Good for you TA

Tue 11-Jan-11
11:12 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Forum Posts: 4165

I think I'm misleading you all, finished the wallpapering yesterday…the rest'll probably take us the rest of the year. Today we dithered around all morning trying to decide if we wanted to use any of the part tins of paint we had lying around, or if we should go and buy some more…decided that OH should get 'em tomorrow with his pensioners discount on a wednesday at DIY shops. So…been starting planting (maybe a bit ambitious) stuff in the greenhouse – some sweet peas and broad beans.

And TA, no I'm rubbish at plastering, we live in an old house with no straight walls, and we're thankful that our crap plastering just adds to the 'quaintness'.

Wed 12-Jan-11
2:29 am
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Forum Posts: 1342

Terrier said:

And TA, no I'm rubbish at plastering, we live in an old house with no straight walls, and we're thankful that our crap plastering just adds to the 'quaintness'.

big_laugh big_laugh big_laugh

That reminds me of something my dear Uncle Kay used to say.

If you did something and it didn't turn out quite square/straight/tidy/just a little off, he would say, "Oh that looks RUSTIC!".

Bless the man, I miss him.

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!
Wed 12-Jan-11
2:33 am
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor

Toffeeapple said:

So, today, as I walked into Tesco, past the cigarette counter I did a quick calculation of how much money I had saved by stopping smoking (£337.15 in eleven weeks!Posted Image) and bought a new phone. I wanted a basic one that doesn't do much more than allow me to make and receive calls and messages. I ended up withthis one for just under £50.00 and I'm so thrilled with it. I can even access the Interwebs if I want to. I'm amazed at all the technology in such a tiny device for so little money. It has a camera too¦Posted Image

NICE PHONE TA!!!!!!cheers

It looks like a Blackberry.

I was going to snicker¦..Blackberry¦..Orange¦.why is the techie stuff named after food? what_the_heck

Posted Image Oh, I like him! He's great!

Oh yeah, A BIG ATTA GIRL!!!!!! For stopping smoking! Nicely done!!!!!!

Wed 12-Jan-11
6:15 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Thanks Michelle, I'm still playing with the phone, it does so much more than I need it to!

Today, I signed up for this, I'm passionate about my local library and I am so pleased that there are many more like me.  I couldn't carry the 15 books that I was planning to take out but I can go back tomorrow and take out the remaining 7.  It looked so strange  to see practically empty shelves.  I do hope that the council will come to its senses.  The library is in a purpose built structure, it's not as though it just grew from a travelling van or something like that.  There is even a Facebook page.

I'll try that again!
Wed 12-Jan-11
6:28 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being

wave Lots of luck  Toni.  I hope your campaign succeeds.  I think this is happening in a lot of places these days and I think it is disgraceful.   Libraries are so important to us and future generations.

Having said all that, I have just realised that I now don't use a library, since I retired.    We have a mobile one here, but not to my house of course.  Also I have just bought a Kindle, from Amazon.  Not a very good advert for libraries am I?  monster

Wed 12-Jan-11
6:39 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Thanks for your support, O Kindle reader!  big_hug  I always used to make a point of using the library regularly, just to keep it open but now I use it to feed my book habit.  Well the library, charity shops and Amazon. Oh and Waterstones and that odd little shop in a Wolverton back street.

I'll try that again!
Wed 12-Jan-11
8:51 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being

Oh I love my local library, I can spend hours in there, however I only disovered it when they shut the central library in York for 'refurbishment' – that place was an aladdins cave, I used to waste whole days in there, or at least whole lunchtimes when I was working.

So excited when I heard it was re-opening, but what a disappointment, they've tried to 'trendy' it up, and have created a cafe area and stuff, which means less space for books, their selection is surprisingly small for such a main library. Good luck with your campaign TA

Wed 12-Jan-11
9:05 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being

No real achievements for the day for me – or not personally, been gardening all day today for my mature ladies and gents – got back ache now.

Wed 12-Jan-11
9:45 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor

danast said:

Also I have just bought a Kindle, from Amazon.  Not a very good advert for libraries am I?  monster

Danuta, do you like your Kindle? I always figured I'd miss (I know it sounds very odd!) holding a book and turning a page…..

Anybody else have a Kindle?

Do you like it?

Wed 12-Jan-11
10:02 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being

wave  Michelle, it is great for reading in bed, very light to hold and no need to worry about the light.  There is no glare etc.  I'm sure I shall be fine when I stop trying to turn over the pages!!  big_laugh  

Unfortunately I have become a fanatic Mercedes Lackey fan  ( thanks to you I believe ) and there are not many of her books on Kindle.  I'm sure that will improve in time though,  as is the case with many authors.

Prices of books are varied, some are free.  But you never pay as much as a hard copy.

I think the Kindle would be very good for you when you are travelling.  

Oh and you never lose your place when you become too sleepy.  It switches itself off and when you switch it back on it is right on the page you left.

I guess the jury is still out as far as I am concerned.  It will depend on availability of authors I like to read. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 1

Most Users Ever Online: 113

Currently Online:
28 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

danast: 8421

brightspark: 8035

Hattie: 6872

Aly: 6826

JoannaS: 4800

Sooliz: 4422

Terrier: 4165

ep: 3880

The Liquineer: 2515

KateUK: 1829

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 3

Members: 16992

Moderators: 1

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 24

Topics: 2063

Newest Members: LadyKatrina, unclecharlie, lynfra26, jorgea, fairbie, elinaalbert

Moderators: Toffeeapple (13615)

Administrators: fn (321), Danny (5213)

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder

G3-EN