stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2013
Tue 1-Jan-13
2:15 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So a new year has sprung upon us. We actually went out last night and celebrated with some friends. We have worked out there is absolutely no point in going to bed early as the fireworks always wake us up anyway, so we took advantage of an invitation from some folks on a hill with a good view of the fireworks. We also sung good old Christmas Carols, coupled with an interesting time trying to translate some of the weirder phrases for a Latvian present.cheers

Tue 1-Jan-13
2:53 pm
Xahha
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Only gained 2.5 lbs over Christmas, medicine and New Year medicine so last weeks weight loss has been wiped out, but should go quickly as we are back to normal eating now.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Tue 1-Jan-13
3:46 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10485

Ditto, Joanna. We also went out last night to help others celebrate the New Year!  whistle

We were eating cheese and biscuits at 23.45 hrs - and jolly nice it was too !

Arrived home at 2 a.m. ..... I'm still sleepy!

"Work for a cause, not for applause
Live life to express, not to impress
Don't strive to make your presence noticed
Just make your absence felt"
Tue 1-Jan-13
4:18 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave  My achievement for today is that I have been for a walk!!!!!.   champagne   champagne   champagne    My foot has felt better over the last week with very few stabbing pains, so this morning I had a short walk with the dogs.  Then this afternoon my friend and I went out with the dogs.  I was out for an hour and although it was slow going and I had to be aware of how far I went, because of walking back it was so fantastic to be out again. ( Hopefully there will be no ill effects later on. )   We had some heavy showers, but I didn''t care.  Now I am sitting here with a bottle of Cava and just relaxing.

Not been drinking much either recently and had next to nothing over Christmas, so this is my Christmas and New Year bottle. ( realise my reputation has just gone downhill!!!!  big_laugh  ) Went to bed last night before the bells with no glass to raise.  Also should have been out to friends this afternoon, but been out a few times this last week and having folks for supper tomorrow, so thought I would give that a miss too. 

Just feel great that I have managed a walk today!!    smile     magic   

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 1-Jan-13
4:32 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Well done, Danuta ok - good to hear your foot is not so bad - what's happening about it? Has anyone discovered why you have the problem? What's the prognosis?

Tue 1-Jan-13
4:55 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave  X ray showed nothing Val and nobody could agree on what was wrong with it - very frustrating.  I got a built up insole about a fortnight ago, so perhaps that is having a positive effect.  I really don't know, but am glad it is not as painful and am hoping it continues to improve.  Each day without the horrendous stabbing pains is a bonus.

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 1-Jan-13
5:25 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Like Danuta, hubby and I managed a walk (abt 3 miles)this afternoon.  It was good to be out - no rain, sunny although very windy.  A good walk along the seafront watching some mad people surfing, just clearing the cobwebs after being confined indoors by the weather for the past weeks. 

Tue 1-Jan-13
6:34 pm
elrohana
North West Leeds, UK

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 275

Walked the dog with OH, did 2 loads of washing/drying, tidied away another 4 loads of clean washing, cleaned the kitchen, sewed on a missing button on OH's winter coat, sorted out my suit and shirt for starting new job tomorrow, emptied bins into dustbins, made up a package for a friend of a friend who is getting my no-longer-needed contact lenses posted to her (seems a shame to throw them away, there's about 50 quids' worth of them), hung up the new shower curtains I bought yesterday, cleaned the bathroom sink, posted on Freecycle for a home for the rest of the contact lenses (different prescription), rang my Mum for the New Year chat,  and now I'm making dinner.   Not bad given that we didn't get out of bed till 10.30 laugh

ETA - did a load of washing up from last night's dinner and cleaned both mine and the OH's walking boots of the mud they acquired in North Yorkshire over Xmas.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Tue 1-Jan-13
7:35 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

Glad your feeling better Danuta big_hug

New job Elrohana? I have probably missed something. I remember something about you getting a job, but didn't know it only started tomorrow or is this a different job? I'm easily confused. You put me to shame, I cleaned the shower room and loo, did some knitting and went out with hubby to feed the animals this afternoon, but I didn't attempt the kitchen. I have also done the accounts for last year - well downloaded statements and sent them to the accountants with the necessary explanations. cheers

Wed 2-Jan-13
5:44 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9421

The little Gite has a proper wooden staircase built by my clever OH. The frame for the bathroom walls is in as is the door and all the insulation is in place upstairs. Next stage really is first fix electrics before the plaster boarding starts in earnest!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Wed 2-Jan-13
6:03 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

Think I may have to come and look at these when its all done Aly, it sounds like so much work has been put in to them.
I've not done a great deal today, took a friends daughter to the airport first thing, then been dog walking with Judith, and discussing our possible trip to Dubai.
Came home mid afternoon and just finishing off simmering the beetroot and horseradish chutney that I ended up making with the cooked beetroot I bought cheap the other day, its a nice recipe used up a few bits in it, a couple of soft eating apples, an onion, a small jar of the too sloppy onion marmalade that I made a few months ago and as it needed sweetening, I've chucked in the last jar of quince jelly, looks and smells delicious.

Wed 2-Jan-13
6:03 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Also bought some red grapefruit a and a few cheap mangoes and tomorrow I plan to make some red grapefruit marmalade and some mango and pineapple chutney...need to get my stock levels back up.

Wed 2-Jan-13
6:19 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Jan, do you ever just put your feet up - and do nothing ??

Wed 2-Jan-13
6:21 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Actually, I think your name should be 'busybee' not Terrier! big_laugh   big_laugh

Wed 2-Jan-13
7:00 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

No I don't, I was just thinking that this afternoon as I was dashing between the stables ( where the chutney was bubbling away on the gas burner on the barbie, and the kitchen where the jam jars were warming in the oven) I thought, god I could just be sat playing on my ipad with my new snowboarding game if I wasn't doing this. However, if wasn't as busy as I am, I'd be the size of a house with all the food I eat. smile

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 262

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10485

danast: 10232

Aly: 9421

Sooliz: 7980

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6665

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4396

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15363

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2244

Newest Members:

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16217, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 321, Danny: 5514

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder