stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2014
Sun 20-Apr-14
9:53 am
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

wave I have a Citroen Berlingo which has fantastic space.  This is the fourth one I have had and I have never had a problem with any of them. smile

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 20-Apr-14
2:18 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

Our current car is a C4 and we've been happy with it. We're probably going to go for the C4 Grand Picasso - the extra boot space will come in handy!

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Sun 20-Apr-14
2:57 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Helped other half dismantle a neighbour's rotting garden shed this morning before the weather changed.  More wood for the winter - although we have the woodburner lit this afternoon.  It's chilly here and we're having intermittent heavy showers.  Have now got a huge piece of pork in the oven.  Roasters, stuffing and parsnips prepared.  Leeks in cheese sauce and Yorkshires ready to pop back in the oven.  Pastry case ready to receive lemon and meringue topping.  Broccoli, carrots and cauli prepared ready to steam.  I'm just having a tea break before laying the table ready for the family to arrive for 5.30 pm meal.  Think I'll sleep well tonight!

Sun 20-Apr-14
3:58 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6670

Sounds yummy Iris, though I don't now eat Pork, was veggie for 30 years, have lapsed a bit, but still don't eat Meat, well, do eat a bit of Chicken. Enjoy! you deserve it!chef

Mon 21-Apr-14
10:29 pm
brambleberry
Toronto, Canada

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1080

My achievement for yesterday was managing to stuff and cook a boned leg of lamb. But, honestly, it was more trouble than it was worth. Everyone said they enjoyed it, especially the stuffing ( walnuts, basil, parsley, garlic, breadcrumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and parmesan). First the meat had to be marinated overnight. Then tying up the leg (after removing it from the marinade and patting it dry) while making sure the stuffing stayed in place was well nigh impossible and very messy! Also it didn't seem to supply as much meat as a bone-in leg. No leftovers!

Home is where the heart is.

Sat 7-Jun-14
11:54 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

I'm a tad late with these achievements but we did buy the grand picasso in the end (I don't think I mentioned that - I've not been online much recently and can't remember if I might have mentioned it elsewhere).

It's the first diesel car I've ever driven and despite being much bigger and heavier than our old car we're getting much better mileage out of it. The massive boot space was handy when I had to take a mattress to the tip. There's a barrier on the way in with a 1.7 meter height limit to separate cars from vans and lorries. I looked up the height of our car and it's 1.69m so it inly just fitsurprised. I decided to unscrew the radio aerial just in case though...

Last week I started a new job in Leicester. It's only for a couple of months but it's better than nothing. The only downside is that it takes an hour and a half to get there so I'm out of the house for about 12 hours each day (I've driven into Leicester a few times in the past and it's always been a hectic stressful experience so I've decided to commute by bus. At least the bus stops are only a few minutes walk away at either end).

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Sun 8-Jun-14
10:27 pm
Vagabondic
Bucks

Improver
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 79

My achievement is putting a new front door on the house - it's not actually new but about 80 years old with a circular stained glass window. I bought the door on ebay 18 months ago and have finally got around to stripping /repainting  and now fitting the thing.  The only problem is how to get rid of the old door,  it's too heavy to carry. But feeling rather pleased with myself.

Mon 9-Jun-14
12:23 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16263

Won't your local council come and collect the old door Vic?

I'll try that again!

Mon 9-Jun-14
2:46 pm
Xahha
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Achievements of the day for the DVLA- they have renewed my driving licence and got it totally right! The only difference is that it lasts for four years, when I reach the next "zero" milestone!

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Sun 15-Jun-14
9:22 pm
Vagabondic
Bucks

Improver
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 79

The door has disappeared thanks to Freecycle - had a reply after 2 minutes and picked up within the hour.

Sun 15-Jun-14
9:49 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Well done Vic!  I haven't used that site for anything, I don't like dealing with people in my own environment unless I know them.

I'll try that again!

Mon 16-Jun-14
9:26 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6670

That was handy, with you having the added Bonus of knowing it was going to be used not wasted.

Mon 16-Jun-14
1:50 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4397

I always get quick responses from people on freecycle. TA if you have small items to give away you can always arrange to have people pick up away from your home say in the supermarket car park this way you do not give out your address.

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Sun 6-Jul-14
4:52 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

My achievement for today is finishing the gloss paintwork. laugh Two rooms emulsioned and all the glosswork done (joint effort with OH).  Bitumen floor paint (2 coats  OH only) now dry so we can at least walk through the house.  Telephone wire from the main socket rerouted

are all ready now for the carpet to be laid next week. I can live with the muddle as the end is in sight.  Just need OH to make a good recovery from his op tomorrow then we can get back to normal.  Next task is to sort out the garden which has been neglected for a couple of weeks, although the heavy showers have watered the garden beds, saving us a job. 

Sun 6-Jul-14
6:45 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Good wishes to your OH Iris!

I'll try that again!

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10522

danast: 10232

Aly: 9426

Sooliz: 7991

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6670

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4397

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15936

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2255

Newest Members:

EvaRaisk, KaeselowZex, Indiane, Nataliedreri, YuliaUnlok, JamesLab

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16263, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder