stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements for the day
Wed 22-Dec-10
10:38 am
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10530
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2611sp_Permalink sp_Print

KateUK said:

Also delivered a quilt ( see the blog,link below)

Beautiful, Kate, welldone

brightsparklystuff

"How do you spell 'Love'?" (Piglet). 

"You don't spell it, you feel it" (Pooh).

'A hug,' said Pooh 'is always the right size!' 

Wed 22-Dec-10
10:46 am
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 642
2612sp_Permalink sp_Print

standing in the snow while OH tries to get his broken exhaust off hes a real swear and throw stuff about man, daughters bought him an exhaust for xmas....lol ..she realises were in dire straights at the moment , but it just means were vehicle less and i cant work

Wed 22-Dec-10
1:37 pm
seth
lincolnshire fens

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1381
2613sp_Permalink sp_Print

MOS said:

Hi terrier i use a milk carton full of hot water and stand the water bowl on top ,it keeps it liquid for a bit MOS

My drinker cum spa is 18" x 3'6" x 2" think I need the whole cow but they're rare beasts in sproutland.      big_laugh

Seed catalogues are responsible for more unfulfilled fantasies than the web and playboy combined . (after Michael Perry)

Wed 22-Dec-10
6:11 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2614sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave  Today has been a very busy day for me.  First thing this morning I was picked up  ( still no car out for me ) and taken to the house, owned by an Italian family, that I look after.  I had a lot of work to do to get it ready for them coming next week.  Unfortunately there is no heating on as the oil lorry cannot get up the hill because of the snow.  It was so so cold and I was glad I was moving about most of the time.  Still, it is done now.  It took about four and a half hours to do it - it is a big house.  Thankfully I got a lift home again which was unexpected, but very welcome. I was supposed to walk back as my friend should have been driving down to England for Christmas, but the weather in the Midlands stopped him.  He shall go tomorrow hopefully.

Then when I got home I had to process 8 brace of pheasant ready for the freezer.  I made soup with some of the  pheasant legs.

Next I  made burgers from some venison mince ( rest of the beast is in the freezer ).  I mixed the mince with some minced pork as there was little or no fat in the venison.  Then I added chopped onion, chopped leek and apple along with some mixed herbs.  

Great to have all this free food !! 

I'm quite tired tonight and looking forward to a nice quiet evening.  I am warm at last today.

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Wed 22-Dec-10
6:23 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
2615sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm glad that you got a lift back as well Danuta,  I was a bit worried about you getting back safely.  What a lot of free food you have.

I'll try that again!

Wed 22-Dec-10
6:37 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
2616sp_Permalink sp_Print

mmmm venison burgers i_am_hungry

Hope that there weather in the midlands sorts itsel out be friday.

Or it might be christmas at home with beans on toast for dinner.

actually, I think I could live with that. Having a weekend with my sam and my kitten and nowhere else to be and nothing else to do would be lovely. But it wouldn't happen, would it? We'd probably sit around for a bit then think that since we're at home we might as well get some laundry or get something else useful doned.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Wed 22-Dec-10
6:50 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
2617sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Just found the pictures of your quilt Kate.   It is so beautiful.  I love the colours.

Wed 22-Dec-10
7:16 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
2618sp_Permalink sp_Print

waveDanuta waveBS

Thanks for the comments on the quilt- I was pleased with it, I know the front room it is destined as a surprise for and had fun sorting out the colours and patterns I thought the new owners would like.

waveRae- if you get no further than near Maidenhead due to weather you can come and stay with us instead. Message me for the phone number if we are on your route, I would hate to think of you stuck en route with nowhere to go for food,drink and a bed! You can share our beans....

Danuta- very envious of free venison.....

Our achievement today was to persuade my Mother that it was a good idea to phone the hospital to see if there was an earlier appointment for her at the skin cancer clinic today- there was- which meant we were all done and back home before it got cold and dark and slippy instead of just leaving to go there when it was cold and dark and slippy.Result!

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Wed 22-Dec-10
9:02 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
2619sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's very kind Kate!

I'm pretty sure it won't come to that (fingers crossed. Not that I don't like the idea of visiting with you. You know what I mean!).

Sam has all of friday off work, so I suspect he will have a constant traffic/weather feed running while he bustles around doing whatever it is blokes do last minute on Christmas eve.

Wed 22-Dec-10
9:11 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518
2620sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know how you feel, was eating the crumbs from choc brownies last night as I was packaging them and went to bed (and woke up this morning) feeling sick.

what have I done today - dentists - I've got a cracked tooth, she put some covering stuff on it, to reduce the sensitivity till after christmas, but also gave me a prescription for anitbiotics which she suggested I got before the weekend, otherwise it was likely to flare up (sod's law).

Delivered all the rest of the hamper orders, did the big shop for one of my old dears, now it's all 'me time' - well apart from my own big shop tomorrow or maybe Fri.

Wed 22-Dec-10
10:24 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516
2621sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kate - r u in Maidenhead?

Next time I have to stay overnight in Reading, in that sleek and slinky hotel they out me up in, I will demand to stay in Hotel KateUK *****

(but can you do me 3 slices of bacon, 3 sausages, 2 fried eggs on 2 pieces of toast with muchroom, hash browns and tomatoes for breakfast? With a gallon of fresh coffee?

I will forego the Bran Flakes if so! big_laugh )

Never knowingly underfed

Wed 22-Dec-10
10:40 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
2622sp_Permalink sp_Print

Danny said:

toast with muchroom,

How much room do you need???

I'll try that again!

Fri 24-Dec-10
4:10 am
Suz
Los Angeles, California

Enthusiast
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 185
2623sp_Permalink sp_Print

My office was closed today, so that meant a day off for me. Hurrah! My pleasant achievements of the day were making lemon cake for the first time and a second attempt at a parkin cake (this time I halved the cooking time but it still looks abit burnt around the edges, next time will be 25F lower I think). I need BrightSpark in my kitchen chef

Life is uncertain ………… eat dessert first!

Fri 24-Dec-10
10:01 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

I was up til 2 this morning baking. So sleepy now!

I made a spiced chocolate cake for Sam's dad and step mum, and got a very cool looking pointy tin from ikea to bake it in. it was going to be ace. But then it stuck and when i tried to turn it out (despite brushing the insdie of the tine with melted butter to grease it), so I had to make a second one.

You can't give broken cake to anyone for Christmas, it would be rude.

But now everything is done and labeled and wrapped and packaged, and Sam is probably loading it into the car as i type, and getting blankets and spades and flasks of coffee ready, so that he can pick me up at 12:30 and we can head off.

Maidenhead isn't really on our route Kate, having discussed it with Sam in more detail, but thank you ever so much, again, for the most generous offer!

So all I have left to say is

Image Enlarger

and I'll catch up with ye all in a few days!

big_hugs to one and all.

Fri 24-Dec-10
10:13 am
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
2625sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave  Hugs to you too Rae.  big_hug   Have a wonderful Christmas and be happy.   smile

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
38 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8081

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6687

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16068

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

ForkinAllotment, kindle girl, lovecooking, ukautos, tiamikotaophel, grace_acebedo

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder