stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements for the day
Fri 24-Dec-10
11:56 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2626sp_Permalink sp_Print

I cannae see the spangly christmas tree "merry christmas" thing I put in my last post, ca anyone else? without it it makes nae sense.

so in the gap after "all I have left to say is" please imagine a sparkly picture of a christmas tree with presents and the legend "merry Christmas".

thankee.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Fri 24-Dec-10
12:20 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2627sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave I can see it Rae.  Thank you.  It is so pretty.  

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Fri 24-Dec-10
12:25 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1636

Nope cant see a thing ,i just put it down to the christmas spirit (the one Rae is sipping )wink

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Fri 24-Dec-10
2:09 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
2629sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can see it Rae!

Lovely.

Hope the trip goes well- we're in Marlow Danny, but the nearest motorway interchange is Maidenhead/High Wycombe- the roads here ( except ours) are all nice and clear, though it is very icy at night.

My achievement today was to get my greenery cut and door wreath and table centres made- been way too cold and frozen to pick anything until mid-day today - we had sunshine all morning so things had a chance to thaw out.

Happy Christmas one and all- have fun!magicwinewinewinebig_hugto you all.

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Fri 24-Dec-10
4:19 pm
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 642
2630sp_Permalink sp_Print

im having what else can possibly go wrong day , it started well when i forgot to make my fingerless gloves off when washing up...lol...now weve one child with flu hes stuck at his real mums , one in hospital with kidney stones and 2 gone to their dads cos its to cold to live here , plus one weve no idea where he is but thats normal for him ...so its just me and OH here on our own , with a very large turkey winking at us ...xmas is looking up except for the poorly members of the family

Fri 24-Dec-10
4:34 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
2631sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good grief Kaye, what have you done to deserve all that?  I hope that all the youngsters get themselves fixed before too long and that the turkey and other comestibles are cooked to perfection tomorrow and you have a wonderfully warm day too. big_hug

I'll try that again!

Fri 24-Dec-10
4:43 pm
Heather E
Rubery, Worcestershire

Knowledegable
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 344
2632sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kaye, just me and OH on our own for Christmas, too - so nice and quiet and peaceful.  Hope you enjoy yours very muchly.

Haven't washed the kitchen and laundry room floors - but they've been swept and that will do.

No mincepies, turkey, ham, Christmas pud, Christmas cake, crackers, chocs, trifle .... but I

have clementines, loads of veggies, a nice piece of salmon, a cracking bit of steak, and a great chef working away in the kitchen right now.

None of yesterday's or today's Things To Do have been done, but the beds are made, the main rooms are clean n' tidy enough, my OH is home for the hols safe and sound, the cat has decided going AWOL in this weather is no fun so he's home, too, and my sister has just phoned to say that her burst water main has just been fixed and she thinks her insurance company will cough up the £800 she's just had to pay up front.

What more could I ask for?

Just that all my friends here and elsewhere have a very happy, homely Christmas with LOADS of love and one or two nice little prezzies.

Happy Christmas everyone.wave

PS - All you Guests are included too.  I may not know who you are, but I know you are there keeping an eye on us.  Merry Christmas.

Gone crazy. Back soon.

Fri 24-Dec-10
11:54 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294
2633sp_Permalink sp_Print

Big achievement, getting the house nearly ready for the visitors tomorrow. Part way through the afternoon it was very sunny, so we had to move the turkey, etc from the porch we were using as a cold store out into the snow. doh We did put things in large plastic boxes first...

Then tonight when offspring and I were eating my brother phoned to say no more news--I hadn't checked my email so I had missed his telling me my father had fallen over yesterday and cut his head. He seems to be fine, had a CAT scan and they are trying to work out why he fell. No nonsense about blaming it on his age (92). The only previous time it happened (ten years ago? more than that?) they worked out he was dehydrated. I hope that is all it is this time.  It was quite a shock to hear about it, which is why I am still awake and not, as intended, fast asleep.

So, wave and Happy Christmas!

Sat 25-Dec-10
7:21 am
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
2634sp_Permalink sp_Print

up and doing the veg , making some garlic butter to ram in the turkey, best bit of the day before everybody gets here , down to 5 for dinner so theres going to be an awful lot of turkey!!!

Sun 26-Dec-10
5:47 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2635sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave For a few days now, I have trying to entice a very friendly robin to feed on some hen mash from the end of a wooden spoon I am holding.  Today he was very brave.  I leaned the spoon on a little branch of a bush and after a wee while , watching me all the time and me talking quietly to him, he hopped onto a little branch above and started feeding from the spoon.  He was as close to me as I am to this computer.   I was so delighted.  The next stage is to get him to land on the actual spoon.  He is so tame, he follows me about the place whilst I am feeding hens and wild birds.  There are many robins about but none who act like this wee one. He is a delight.   smile

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 26-Dec-10
6:05 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
2636sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh Danuta, I'm sure you'll entice him onto your hand in a little while.  Do tell us when you do.

I'll try that again!

Sun 26-Dec-10
6:11 pm
maggenpie
Cornwall, UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 902
2637sp_Permalink sp_Print

How lovely Danuta! smile

When I put the ducks to bed yesterday there was a robin in with my rooks. So I put food and water on the floor for it thinking it may as well stay there over night. I went out very early this morning and it was still in there, but when I went out later it had found its way out again. I hope the good feed will help its chances of survival through this cold spell.

Never assume anything - except an occasional air of intelligence.

Tue 28-Dec-10
12:41 am
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343
2638sp_Permalink sp_Print

My achievement, I have the house all cleaned up after everyone left yesterday. Dishes clean and put away, extra laundry done, wrapping paper put on the compost (going to try that this year), in my momentum I almost took the Christmas tree, and thought better of it.

All cleaned up, yes ma'am......

Yep.....

Cleaned up.....

Well, crap, now what?

Its so quiet I can hear the house creak!

cry

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Tue 28-Dec-10
7:31 am
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
2639sp_Permalink sp_Print

lol ..food snob day for me , i have to do a buffet tomorrow for OHs tribe. I will grit my teeth and cook mangy sausage rolls out of a freezer bag , buy plastic cheese and put it on cocktail sticks , bought quiche and scotch eggs and pork pies Tesco value where possible , must remember only to buy white bread rolls . The one bit of rebellion is a honey roast ham which im hoping they dont fancy as its not square and out of a packet ....This is my nightmare , i love to cook but i realise its pointless as waste bothers me even more and they will only eat what they enjoy, after a few years you realise this , there will be enough moaning when they realise theres no beer in the house , last year my BIL called me a nasty stuck up bitch because i didnt have any , no i have teenagers lots of them and i dont encourage them to drink ...

Will now feel guilt riddled all week for my unchristian thoughts

Tue 28-Dec-10
11:45 am
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294
2640sp_Permalink sp_Print

kayerunrig said:

there will be enough moaning when they realise theres no beer in the house , last year my BIL called me a nasty stuck up bitch because i didnt have any , no i have teenagers lots of them and i dont encourage them to drink ...

Will now feel guilt riddled all week for my unchristian thoughts

Kaye, you deserve a halo for inviting BIL back after that comment!

I'd be tempted to put cascara in a jug of beer for them!  devil

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
33 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8081

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6687

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16069

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

detroitcashforhomes, ForkinAllotment, kindle girl, lovecooking, ukautos, tiamikotaophel

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder