stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements for the day
Tue 28-Dec-10
12:39 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2641sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did nothing much all day yesterday...today doesn't much more promising - acheived nothing...oh actually I did finish knitting Eddie Lizzard, will post a pic when I get round to it under the knitted slug topic...won't be doing him again though...his eyes and arms were a pain.

Tue 28-Dec-10
4:41 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343
2642sp_Permalink sp_Print

kayerunrig said:

lol ..food snob day for me , i have to do a buffet tomorrow for OHs tribe. I will grit my teeth and cook mangy sausage rolls out of a freezer bag , buy plastic cheese and put it on cocktail sticks , bought quiche and scotch eggs and pork pies Tesco value where possible , must remember only to buy white bread rolls .

Kaye, if you were feeding someone this kind of food in America, I would refer to it as "White Trash Food",  (as in you are what you eat)! big_laugh big_laugh big_laugh

kayerunrig said:

The one bit of rebellion is a honey roast ham which I'm hoping they don't fancy as its not square and out of a packet

Hide it in the kitchen and feed it to your kids.....big_laugh

kayerunrig said:

there will be enough moaning when they realise there's no beer in the house , last year my BIL called me a nasty stuck up bitch because i didn't have any

Tell the lazy son-of-a seabiscuit that if he wants beer to go get a job!

kayerunrig said:

Will now feel guilt riddled all week for my unchristian thoughts

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it didn't look like their actions were very Christian to begin with!

Good luck! big_hug

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Tue 28-Dec-10
5:40 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
2643sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kaye, I am in total agreement with what Barbara said.  I'm shocked that he would be so rude to you in your own home.

I'll try that again!

Tue 28-Dec-10
5:57 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
2644sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to agree with the others Kaye. Anyone who spoke tome like that would not be invited back. They'd be lucky to leave in the first place without a tea tray round the face.

You obviously have the restraint and patience of a saint.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Tue 28-Dec-10
6:16 pm
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 642
2645sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thats me doormat to the universe ..not... but i do take turning the other cheek to great lengths in the view i will be rewarded in heaven ...

Its a very odd situation , i get on great with OHs mother , shes a truly batty old lady but pleasant with it . I have 2 BIL who however, are an absolute disgrace , one has 6 kids and has never had a job in his life , hes a professional sick person , thats the one who winges about the beer . The other is stoned 24 7 hasnt managed to hold down a job for 20 years and his kids dont know what parents are , but now MIL is unable to cope with a family gathering at her house i do it on her behalf at ours , my OH just says its her one perfect day in the year ,when she kids herself that the whole family get on . She really enjoys it and i spend the day fuming .

OH says his sister gave him the best advice , she walked out the door at 18 and never came back and told him to do the same , funnily enough he found her last year on facebook ..lol

But this is my annual purgatory , i will grit my teeth and bear it , our kids love it , for the entertainment value

Tue 28-Dec-10
6:23 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
2646sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is taking stoicism to an entirely new level, but if you can endure it for one day, then so be it.

Here, you might need one of these - big_hug

I'll try that again!

Tue 28-Dec-10
6:34 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2647sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave  Kaye, I really admire you.  How good that you make OH's Mum feel so good.  Perhaps that does make up for the horrors of the day.    They do sound a gruesome bunch and how great that you can rise above it all.  Many could not.  big_hug   big_hug

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 28-Dec-10
6:38 pm
maggenpie
Cornwall, UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 902
2648sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh Kaye, mega big_hug big_hug for you. Report back when its all over and we'll see how shiny your halo is!

Never assume anything - except an occasional air of intelligence.

Tue 28-Dec-10
11:36 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343
2649sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, I read what I posted earlier this morning, and yes, I was a little harsh.

A little.

Just kind of.

Anyway, its a pet peeve of mine what you are going through Kaye, you go to all that work to do a nice meal, and all you hear is how it comes up lacking.

You didn't do one thing or another. 

What ever happened to being gracious?

Being nice?

Saying thank you for what is there instead of whining about what's not? aargh

This is a great place for one of these shoo_fly

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Wed 29-Dec-10
11:26 am
typhoo
France - ex Ecosse

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 537
2650sp_Permalink sp_Print

Survived another physio session (I think anyway haha)

Wed 29-Dec-10
11:55 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
2651sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are those nerves becoming un-trapped Fiona?

I'll try that again!

Wed 29-Dec-10
12:18 pm
typhoo
France - ex Ecosse

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 537
2652sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi TA, think safe to say "jury's out".  Jim slamming on the break the other day certainly did no good whatsoeversteam

Wed 29-Dec-10
7:26 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

Kaye " you are a saint and will get you're reward at some point¦families " bloody families.

on today's achievements..hmm, tidied up a cupbaord, made a lovely moroccan lamb stew, made stollen in a borrowed breadmaker, drank too much wine before tea -(hic) -

Wed 29-Dec-10
9:01 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
2654sp_Permalink sp_Print

You tidied a whole cupboard! Woo,goyou (this is typed with serious my Raemond face on, though I know it's hard to distinguish). I can only dream of getting a whole cupboard tidy.

Usually I start on a cupabord, say thebaking tins/tupperware/mixing bowls/pasta mangle cupboard. i start with good intentions. I think i have to get everything out to see what's there.To do this I must first clear some space somewhere. the worktop would be best, but I'm no perfectionist, the floor may have to do. Either way I'll have to move many things, discarded dishes/implements/wrappers/mugs or bits of car/tools/bottles/shoes. This may take some time.

Ohce I have the spaceto get evetything out of the cupboardI realise the lids of the tupperware aren't all there. So I must match up every single piece,as one without the other is rarely any use. Thismay also take some time.

Then I spend a long time working out how to organise the stuff to go back into the cupboard, and you can bet that before I'm done someone willcome along and need to move around without standing on a pile of tinware. So everything is chucked back in the cupboard however it will fit.

This is wyy I have iven up tidying cupboards.

But for now I'm orf to collect me mother from the airport after her schneeky trip to Egypt and spend a few days with them and the rest of my fambly. See y'all in 2012 🙂

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Wed 29-Dec-10
9:09 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265
2655sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tidying... Hmmm, we should do some of that soon. We bought some storage boxes earlier today, we now need to fill them and find somewhere to keep them.

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
30 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8081

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6687

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16069

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

detroitcashforhomes, ForkinAllotment, kindle girl, lovecooking, ukautos, tiamikotaophel

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder