stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CSH meet-up Sat July 23 2011
Sat 12-Mar-11
3:58 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I closed the previous thread that ran for a few months to get ideas for this meet-up.

This thread is for planning the event, now that the date is set.

””””””””””””””””"

The format will be along the lines of a simple garden party with lunch and some bite of supper early evening. We welcome ideas for skills demos or mini-exhibitions of your stuff. Space is a bit limited since we turned much of our back garden into veg and flower growing.

Kick-off at 1 pm-ish but people can arrive and leave at any time that suits them. It is likely to extend late into the evening if past experience is anything to go by.

Between us all we can add more details and an estimate of numbers over the coming weeks. We do not need to confirm until July 1st. Easy peasy.

Everybody is welcome: you, friends, family. We may be able to engage a friend to act as on-demand driver for anybody travelling by train or bus, to make getting here and back as easy as possible. I will add a list of local B&Bs and hotels for any non-campers who want to stay overnight.

PS: We are in Cheveley. Postcode CB8 9DG

””””””””””””””””"

List of people who hope to attend (I will edit this and add to it over time).

Definites (booked accommodation or it would take a tsunami to stop them) are in Bold

Fiona & Danny (we have the front door key after all !!)

MOS and Mrs MOS (Geoff and Heather)

KateUK,  ep (Elsa from Bulgaria)

Terrier (Janet) + buddy, Paperman (Chris) + Anne, Ruthdigs + The Chap

Rae Mond (Holland) + The Sam, Danast (Danuta),  Magic Cochin (Celia)

Cookie Girl (Carolyn), SumpRat (Simon), Veronica (from France)

””””””””””””””””"

Michelle from Oregon + Dan are confirmed for a UK tour mid Sep 2011 (yaaay!) and there may be a regional meet-up in the Milton Milton Keynes area of Bucks. Subscribe to this thread to receive updates by email.

””””””””””””””””"

Last updated: 21/05/2011

Campers welcome but the space is not a public campsite, so no showers etc. but you can use our bathroom. We will lay on breakfast Sun morning for campers.

Local B&Bs " if anybody reports one is fully booked, I will update the list

Next-door-but-one: The Old Farmhouse (Mrs Robinson, booked out )

3 minutes walk

Norfolk House (modern, Mrs Noble see reviews)

Juniper (modern, Mrs Auty 01638 731244)

7 minutes walk: Jasmine (modern, Emma Morgan 01638 730206)

There are loads in Newmarket, 3 miles away (approx £9 taxi but sharing or a free lift may be available)

Best Newmarket hotel (has ground floor bedrooms) is the Bedford Lodge. We like it. The Heath Court Best Western we thought was decent but it got the thumbs down from the TV crew. There are others that are all OK but avoid the Cadogan.

A brand new Premier Inn has just opened.

Handy list here

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 12-Mar-11
4:31 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343

(Crossing fingers, wishing on stars...)magic

Dan and I HOPE to go! Of course depending on tickets and the like, but since its July 23rd, I can hopefully convince him to wrap it up in a anniversary present. Our 9th anniversary will be July 26th.

So you can put us on the "Really want to" list...

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Sat 12-Mar-11
4:35 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10485

Apologies Danny - I have written an e-mail to you - a quick complaint about not being able to post on the former thread. (Perhaps a little note there before it was locked might have been a good idea, cos us old'uns get confused easily y'know! big_laugh)

Other apologies - I cannot make that date - it is the same day as the Calne Bike Meet, and I am running the cake stall in the Town Hall !! sorry

Hope it goes really well.

"Work for a cause, not for applause
Live life to express, not to impress
Don't strive to make your presence noticed
Just make your absence felt"
Sat 12-Mar-11
4:56 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

You are right, BS - I should have done that. So sorry to have caused irritation. I will do something about it now. Really sorry that the date is bad for you. I would not want to cross the Calne Bikers for the world (I don't have enough personal "accident" insurance cover whistle). Who knows - we might organise an off season meet-up somewhere that might suit Joanna too.

Fingers crossed, Michelle. It would be quite something if you and Dan could do it. Is there an online petition we can sign to sway his boss towards arranging a business trip? devil

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 12-Mar-11
5:40 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

What are you lot like? big_laugh big_laugh aargh

I splattered my coffee too, Hattie. Elsa does have her moments, bless her little less-than-white mind! No Persil used in that department tongue

””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””

No I reckon that he moved the thread, BS,  because I had intimated that he would refer to MOS,  as a TURD¦(the rest of the title he would manage) and as this just would not go down well in Mr MOS book although Mrs MOS might have her own opinion¦.

As  for personal liability insurance, you should be picking up the phone now¦.isn't that a character assasination?   Never mind the Calne Bikers¦they don't know you as we do¦take care my friend¦.Have you been insulted lately?¦call this Freephone number¦..and I just might¦.big_laughbig_laugh  and I just might turn up at your door¦.courtesy of easyJet¦..

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Sat 12-Mar-11
5:46 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1635

DO it  lovly DO it ,it wouldent be the same without you its only a quick jog from stanstead wave

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Sat 12-Mar-11
7:14 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10485

ep said:

No I reckon that he moved the thread, BS,  because I had intimated that he would refer to MOS,  as a TURD¦(the rest of the title he would manage) and as this just would not go down well in Mr MOS book although Mrs MOS might have her own opinion¦.

Funny thing, I thought that too Elsa ...... but then I had an idea I was being squeezed out  eeek ..... some funny things been going on lately .........

big_laugh   big_laugh

"Work for a cause, not for applause
Live life to express, not to impress
Don't strive to make your presence noticed
Just make your absence felt"
Sat 12-Mar-11
7:30 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members

No not you, you Supreme being....much too precious...now as for me....I'll come and go as the mood takes me....and me and MOS...only councillors....separated at birth we were....but no one wanted two....... and who can blame them seeing as how we've turned out....big_laughbig_laugh

Sat 12-Mar-11
7:30 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Dontya just love conspiracy theories! big_laugh

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 12-Mar-11
7:37 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Welcome back....big boy.....kiss

Sat 12-Mar-11
9:03 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I've noticed MOS that you've got a mention in despatches if only in the MOSquito category....you can formalise proceedings....I'll send you the freephone telephone number...we have to set the example for human rights.......er could get Rae to fight our case in the Haige....big_laughbig_laugh  if she's got some spare time between sessions....whistlewhistle

Sun 13-Mar-11
6:20 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1635

ep said:

I've noticed MOS that you've got a mention in despatches if only in the MOSquito category....you can formalise proceedings....I'll send you the freephone telephone number...we have to set the example for human rights.......er could get Rae to fight our case in the Haige....big_laughbig_laugh  if she's got some spare time between sessions....whistlewhistle

i get a mention in a few places mi lovley some of them not too salubrious ,if you come to the doo at Danny's ile show you some i copied from the gents in cannock before they filled them in big_laugh MOS kiss

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Sun 13-Mar-11
6:26 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members

MOS said:

i get a mention in a few places mi lovley some of them not too salubrious ,if you come to the doo at Danny's ile show you some i copied from the gents in cannock before they filled them in big_laugh MOS kiss

I probably have copies already.  In fact I may have written some of them...that was before the operation of course.....big_laughbig_laugh

Mon 14-Mar-11
9:19 am
veronica
France

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 291

I know I've been conspicuous by my absence the last few months (too much work, too much travelling!) but I'd love to come to a CSH get-together and meet Fiona, Danny, and some of the lovely people on the forums. And the MinPins and chooks of course!

It should be possible for me; I can combine it with visits to family that I won't have seen for a while. Unfortunately as I'll be travelling by Ryanair, the amount of wine I can bring will be limited cry

Mon 14-Mar-11
11:03 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

OOOOOO.

I'll put the date in the diary, and see what happens. I'd love to get there, and bring my Sam with me too, but trips may be a bit limited, and dependent on jobs/holiday entitlement etc.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
33 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10485

danast: 10232

Aly: 9421

Sooliz: 7981

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6665

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4396

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15396

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2246

Newest Members:

SagironxNa, Kevinbiora, Anthonywem, MopinKr, Georgeboolf, Robertsuigh

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16220, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 321, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder