stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2018
Sat 17-Nov-18
8:42 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9438
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Have been unable to Post on the good morning thread so thought I would try starting a new one. Hopefully this will work.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 18-Nov-18
7:25 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

seems this has worked so off we go again!

another cold start in Normandy. Seems that winter has arrived.

jobs today include planting a gooseberry bush I was given. I very much hope it will take as I have not had gooseberries for years and love them. It will go in my bee friendly flower patch at the back. I also have a thornless blackberry to go in. I want to put this along the back fence but need to clear the existing brambles that are growing on the other side in the field. Jobs here are never straightforward and always involve doing something else.

The big news is we are finally renovating our house. I have waited patiently for ten years and at last it is happening. We are working on the dining room and lounge separating a large room. We have taken down the ceiling panels to reveal the beams ( and loads of dust, dead mice etc). It is very much the messy stage just now!

Finished my latest crochet blanket last night and think I need to start another. It is what I do in the evenings. I have my regular crochet along in January but think I can get another in before.

the sun is up so off to let out the chickens, ducks and geese.

Fri 23-Nov-18
8:15 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning all

a cold and foggy start, the chickens were reluctant to come out. Once the food was in the containers they decided to start their day. The main door of the chicken run opens into my slowly turning into flower garden. So we created a wire tunnel to take them through to the middle garden which is my fledgling orchard. They have worked it out very easily. Occasionally someone escapes into my garden so I have to check often. I have three male Muscovy ducks I acquired who choose to live with the chickens. I call them the grumpy ducks as they always seem cross. They sometimes come out into the orchard but do not find the tunnel so easy to use. They never go up to the pond! I have a problem with the ducks now as they are nearly all males. The females went off to nest and never came back...Fox no doubt. I keep an eye out for ducks but most of the ones at markets are Muscovy which are grumpy! My favourite are Rouen ducks, like big Mallards. They are happy ducks.

Today we will hopefully start plaster boarding the lounge. I still have holes in the ceiling but that will not be sorted for a while! The wiring is in place to move the TV which will be good.

I am starting a new project...I have had a greenhouse frame in place for years. I am going to finally glaze it using plastic bottles. My youngest daughter gets through lots of the two litre bottles and will save them for me. I have yet to work out how I will create the walls but think glue will be involved. It has to be something I can do alone. I will give updates as to how it is going.

plan to progress my latest jumper today too.

Sun 25-Nov-18
12:26 pm
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034

Afternoon

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

Sun 25-Nov-18
12:30 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

good to find someone else on here. Guess it will take a while to get all the regulars back!

grey, wet and cold here. Hibernation weather.

Wood burner blazing and knitting to do to while away the afternoon.

Sun 25-Nov-18
2:53 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10528

Hi Simon, how are you doing?

Every time I use garlic, I think of your smoked garlic - do you still do it?

I'm attempting the challenge of creating a fabric postcard ... not as easy as I had expected!!

Have a good day everyone..

brightsparklystuff

"How do you spell 'Love'?" (Piglet). 

"You don't spell it, you feel it" (Pooh).

'A hug,' said Pooh 'is always the right size!' 

Sun 25-Nov-18
3:15 pm
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034

Hi.

Thought I'd say hello as I'm sat at my laptop ALL DAY today.

Yes still do garlic.

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

Tue 27-Nov-18
12:31 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

cold, grey and wet here! Chickens are reluctant to come out. Hope they will still lay some eggs!

Up early to go online and buy the latest crochet blanket kit. This is for the Attic24 crochet along which starts early January! It is called sweetpea and is a striped blanket in the colours of the flowers! It will be gorgeous! My blanket stash is growing nicely!

Then went to pick up the shopping. For some time now I have been using click and collect which saves me the trauma of traipsing around a supermarket. It was fun setting it up with the website all in French but I am getting used to these things. You give back the bags from the previous week as they are reused and you have to say how many you are giving back. The system is easy just requiring you to scan your loyalty card when you stop in a bay. The machine tells you who will bring out your shopping but the French are strange and never react to my cheery bonjour Martigne, or Antoine or whoever. What is the point of giving me their name if I am not meant to say hello!? Most think of me as that crazy English lady!

Also bought some bits at the DIY shop to continue creating the dining room. Slowly we are getting there. Should get more done this afternoon.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
60 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10528

danast: 10232

Aly: 9438

Sooliz: 7991

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6670

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4397

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16068

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2260

Newest Members:

EvelynGlOme, Jameswoozy, RaquelGautt, BillyJoeSaunderstrich, Christianzogue, Vandakn

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16274, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder