stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2018
Wed 2-Jan-19
1:24 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

They do tend to arrive when you are run down so a few quiet days should help.

Am looking forward to the sweet pea blanket so may need to put this one on one side for a while!

it has turned very cold here today!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Wed 2-Jan-19
1:49 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16317

When I was a child, my Gran used to grill some cheese, mop up some of the fat from it on a bit of bread then dab that onto my coldsore.  It always seemed to work, but I expect there are more sophisticated remedies now.

I'll try that again!

Wed 2-Jan-19
3:34 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8068

How bizarre, TA!  eeek  I think I'll stick with the cold sore cream I bought today big_laugh

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Thu 3-Jan-19
8:34 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning all.  So has anyone got any resolutions, ambitions or plans for 2019?  I don't do resolutions, think you're just setting yourself up for failure.  I've decided I'll try and be more positive this year....although that's being tested already, with some not-so-good things happening that I have no control over, and my mum's health being an increasing worry lately.  We've decided to make a few changes to the front and back gardens this year, to try and make things easier for us in our advancing age.  We're also going to try for more days out this year....didn't manage many last year, with all husband's health stuff going on.

Thu 3-Jan-19
9:17 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16317

I never make resolutions.  In fact, at this time of year, the only thing I do is make more soup, read more books and drink more ginger tea.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mum and understand how frustrated you must feel; you'll probably cope with that when working out how to change your gardens. (in that your focus will change from your worries, I mean).

I'll try that again!

Thu 3-Jan-19
12:46 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning ish

just back from a very cold market!

I do not do resolutions either as have never lived up to them!

Our main plan for this year is to finish renovating our house! We bought it in June 2007 as an almost derelict farm! It started as a holiday home but when redundancy beckoned in 2009 it became our permanent home.

We needed a business so began converting the cow barm into what has become three two person Gites. Then eldest daughter and her husband decided they wanted to join us. The small barn attached to the main farmhouse was converted into a home for them. Now we are slowly improving our house!

I will plan the veg patch and polytunnel as usual but will probably grow the same things...cucumbers, tomatoes, chilies, peas, beans, courgette and another attempt at squash! Will do leeks again as they were so good. Might try something new too. I would love to grow asparagus.

I will no doubt add to my pile of crochet blankets as always have one on the go.

Fri 4-Jan-19
7:59 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

there is excitement in the first and last house in Normandy.

Firstly the new crochet along starts this morning. I am 21 stripes away from finishing the current blanket but I will carefully pack it away and join in the fun! The new colours are divine! It is called sweet pea and the colours are well matched. Each Friday 15 stripes will be posted on Attic 24. Today she will post full instructions for the pattern but as always if I do not get on with it I will make it my way! I love the way a pattern flows and the colored stripes build up! When I look at all the blankets I have made scattered around they make me smile!

Secondly I hope my bank problems have been sorted. On September 18th last year I contacted my bank to ask for a replacement card. Since then I, helped by P, have phoned many times to repeat the request. I have sent the required paperwork which they acknowledged. I have written and sent a letter by registered post to be sure they received it, yes it is in my file! Every time I have been told they will email me the code within three days! It has not arrived! The phone calls are very painful as they are in French. We can negotiate the press 1 for this and 2 for that now but are no closer to getting the code than when we started! P found a German on line bank that offers the same basic current account.  I can communicate in English! I applied online by downloading their app, giving information, uploaded a copy of my passport and sent them a selfie ( did not like that bit). They have said I will hear in two working days. So by Monday or maybe Tuesday, if there are no issues I will have a bank card on its way to me! Knowing how efficient the Germans are I expect things to happen as they said. Finally I will be able to transfer my money into € for shopping. I am hit by a fee every time I use my Natwest card!

So lots to be happy about just now!

Might even get something done in the almost a lounge!

Fri 4-Jan-19
9:29 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning all.

Lots for you to be excited about today, Aly.  I'll read Lucy's blog post this evening, have a busy day ahead.  As you know, I shan't be doing the CAL as I'm already plodding on with my own version, using Lucy's Sweetpea pack plus a few extra colours from my stash.  However, I do really like the look of the 2 colour pattern versions of Lucy's, so if funds allow, I might get another pack in due course and do one of them.

I have lots to do today and am feeling utterly exhausted, will plough through it all so I can then have a weekend off....I may even spend the weekend in bed.  So will get off the laptop now and get on with it all.

Have a good day.

Fri 4-Jan-19
10:53 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I am doing the posy colour way! Already on the second stripe..the pattern is very easy!

Sat 5-Jan-19
11:51 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

another very cold day so the wood burner is lit!

Spent yesterday moving the TV to the new dividing wall and the sofa to the other end so we now can see the garden.  I am also no longer sat so close to the fire and the wood burner is easier to get to. All good.

Am on stripe 9 of the sweet pea blanket so know I will get this weeks 15 done. This means I can carry on with the other one whilst I wait for Friday when the next 15 will be published. The pattern is very easy and is firmly in my head so no need to keep checking. The colours are beautiful!

P is now working on Rouge Gite and has stripped the old tiles from the bathroom. We had a small problem with the bath tap leaking a small amount of red something. He took apart the tap and found a dollop of hairdye caught. Who colours their hair on holiday? All sorted now.

A bits and pieces day as several small things need doing!

Mon 7-Jan-19
12:42 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

Finished the fifteen stripes of the sweet pea crochet along so am back on the country cottage blanket. Next lot of instructions will be ready on Friday. I think this will be my routine during this crochet along!

Cold and grey once more so happy to be in with the wood burner!

P has his art group this afternoon so some time to myself!

Had another booking for later in the year, a returning couple! Beginning to get more repeat bookings now! All helps to pay for renovating our house!

Today is the second business day for my new bank account application. Am very much hoping it will come good! To be fair I need to give them until tomorrow morning!

Thinking more of what to grow this year. At some point will tidy up the veg patch and polytunnel.

Mon 7-Jan-19
1:02 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

This is last year's thread so I suppose we really ought to start a new one?

Anyhow....it's another grey, cold day, I know we're really only just into winter but will be so glad when spring arrives and we get some sustained sunshine.  Having said that, as we drove through the village this morning, I saw snowdrops on the verges, and one garden with daffodils in full bloom!  

Took Betty to the vet this morning, she has her ear infection back, we've caught it early so it shouldn't be hard to get cleared up.  She's fast asleep now, she generally sleeps for the rest of the day when she's had the ear drops.

You've done well to get the first 15 stripes done already, Aly.  I'm still plodding on, slowly, with my own version of the Sweetpea blanket.  Am pretty sure I will get another pack of the yarn in due course and do the CAL (the posy pattern, I think) eventually.  It's just so pretty.

Having a meat-free Monday, am going to make a lentil and egg curry for dinner.  I've made it with hard boiled eggs before, but when googling for inspiration, I saw pictures of a version with eggs simply dropped into dips in the curry and poached, thought it looked and sounded good so am giving that a try.

I had a lazy weekend, stayed in bed for most of Saturday, reading, crocheting and making notes, dozing in the afternoon, and feel much better for it.  

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
57 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8068

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6671

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4421

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16146

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel, Yasemin331, Arokain, Bibi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16317, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder