stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2019
Mon 7-Jan-19
1:12 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

good idea Sue so here it is!

Let us hope we do better with this one than we did last year. Good to have this forum coming back to life!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 8-Jan-19
8:49 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

another grey day here. Time of the year I guess!

Out and about this morning. P needs to return an item he bought that does not work. Always fun in another language. Then need to collect a few bits from the DIY shop. Then on to collect the shopping which just involves scanning my loyalty card and checking the fruit and veg. They load the bags. In all at most it takes 10 minutes!

On stripe 67 of 84 with the cottage garden blanket and it is huge! Think it will go on our bed! I am happy I have the sweet pea blanket to keep me going for a while once the cottage one is finished but must plan the next one. I am thinking of doing another sweet pea blanket with the colour wash design. I so love the colour palette.

Chickens still laying well. I get three to five eggs each day so am keeping two friends supplied! Will need to make another cake for P this week so will use a few eggs in that.

Am back on my porridge for breakfast which is better as it keeps me going much longer. I have ordered more from good old Amazon! 

Nothing from the new bank yet but staying positive! I logged in and saw a message saying ‘ hey, we are just checking your documents ‘ think they are still laughing at my selfie!

Have a good day whatever you have planned!

Tue 8-Jan-19
10:26 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8068

Morning, some sunshine today, which is very welcome after all the dismal grey days we've had lately.  Been out early to have my hair cut this morning, so I don't feel like a shaggy dog anymore.  Husband's birthday today, he's 68!!  Cooking him everything he wants for dinner later, he's asked for prawn cocktail, lamb leg steak, then cheese and biscuits, so nothing too arduous!  Not doing much today, nipping out for a few bits later.

Mum has lost 2 stones in the past four weeks, which is very worrying.  So glad the GP has sat up and taken notice (not before time!) and is being pro-active about investigating, now.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 8-Jan-19
11:30 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Older parents are a worry when at a distance. Good to hear the GP is now taking care of her.

A bit of sunshine has arrived!

Wed 9-Jan-19
7:04 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

still dark but does not feel too cold so far. Lots of stars so clear just now.

Dogs and cats fed and watered and are sleeping again. What a life! 

Plan today is to clear the weeds from the concrete base of the greenhouse and remove the brambles growing around the frame. Once it is clear I will start building the walls with the plastic bottles. The roof we will do with corrugated plastic so that I can rig up a system for filling a water butt. Not sure yet about the door but a solution will become obvious. No doubt the chickens will enjoy helping me.

Will pop out quickly as need some brown sugar for the fruit cake I have to make today.

P has repaired the wall in Rouge bathroom after removing the tiles so today will start re tiling in there. We need a reducing pipe for the new wood burner going in there and found one here for €80 ! Looked online and have bought one for £29 delivered! What is called a no brainer! 

My eldest grandson loves Polo mints. My stock is running low so looked on Amazon UK. I have ordered a box of 32 tubes for a sensible price which should keep him going a while! I always have them in my pocket which he knows! I have been known to give one to the odd horse or two!

A calm home day today. No doubt some crochet will be done!

Thu 10-Jan-19
1:09 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning (nearly)

cold and grey once more. Went out early to a market but home now for the rest of today.

P is getting on well with re tiling. Hope to be finished by the end of the week.

On stripe 74 of the country cottage blanket. Will be back to the sweet pea tomorrow when the next 15 stripes are published.

Having a slow day by the fire.

Thu 10-Jan-19
1:42 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon, a mixed day of sunshine and clouds following a very frosty start.  

Yesterday was a very long and emotional day, we left home early as it takes 3+ hours to get up to Northampton, and got home after 8pm, it was getting on for 10 pm by the time elder brother (who took me) got to his home in Cornwall.  Mum is very poorly indeed, to be blunt she looks like a corpse.  Brother, sister and I had a good chat over lunch, trying to work out the best things to do to make mum more comfortable, make things easier for her and relieve the strain on sister and younger brother a bit.  We bought mum one of those electric riser armchairs (in a charity shop!), as she currently spends most of her time in bed and didn't have a comfortable chair in her room.  We also got her a commode and some personal aids.  We're arranging for a friend to visit mum once a week, to do any bits of shopping she needs and collect her prescriptions, it takes a bit of pressure off sister.  Mum already has a cleaner once a week, we're going to ask her to help declutter mum's bedroom - she's a bit of a hoarder and her room is stuffed full of clothes, shoes, bags, books, etc, she no longer uses or needs, the cleaner, who's a friend, is lovely and has already offered to do more for mum. 

To be brutally honest, we're all of the opinion that mum doesn't have long left, but hopefully the measures we're putting in place will help to make her remaining life more comfortable.  

Thu 10-Jan-19
1:49 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I do feel for you Sue. A difficult time for all of you. I went through similar to you with my father a few years ago. We had enough notice to get over to England in time to say goodbye. It is never easy.

Fri 11-Jan-19
9:05 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

dull and damp today but not actually raining just now.

Have the next 15 stripes of the sweet pea blanket and have started back on that. My work basket is very full with the two blankets!

Planning to go out for lunch today to give us a break from work! There is an English tea room nearby that does lunches so can ask for something meat free! Will also pop into the DIY shop for a couple of bits and Action for a mooch around! We have a time limit because of the dogs.

Then home and back to my crochet!

Fri 11-Jan-19
9:52 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning all. 

Same here re the time limit Aly, we don't stay out any longer than 4 hours if we don't take Betty with us.  

Mum seems to have had a comfortable couple of days, she ate more than usual yesterday - a slice of toast, mug of soup and a banana (she's hardly been eating at all) and sat in her new chair for an hour or so apparently, she says she really likes it.  She's got yet another urine infection and more antibiotics, poor old thing.  It's no wonder she feels so unwell all the time.  Just waiting on the results of the latest blood/urine tests and she's seeing the GP again on Monday.

I've got some baking to do today (nothing special, just bread and a banana and cranberry loaf cake), then a GP appointment myself this afternoon.  Wish Spring would hurry up and come, fed up with these cold, grey, dismal days.  Even rain would be something different.

Sun 13-Jan-19
10:44 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning, bit of sunshine this morning, which is very nice, although it's very cold.

Mum wasn't well at all yesterday afternoon/evening, but this morning is well enough to be at her Sunday morning church service, for the first time in weeks.  I'm sure that will buck her up, although it will tire her out.

I'm having a quiet day as I don't feel so well myself - rough nights again catching up with me, along with stomach upset for the past couple of days....all to do with the current stress, I guess.  Can't complain though, as I'm still alive and kicking.  

Can't wait for Spring to arrive, so I can get out in the garden again...lots of tidying up/pruning to be done, but it will be so nice just to sit in the garden in the early mornings with my mug of coffee.  Thinking about what to grow this year - more cottage garden plants, maybe a couple of roses.  And asparagus for the back garden, we've never grown it before.  Won't have a crop to eat this year, of course, but something to look forward to for the future, I do love asparagus.

Sun 13-Jan-19
11:54 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

time of year for being unwell. Many around me have coughs and colds that so far I have managed to avoid.

Grey, damp and cold here. Not very inspiring! Wood burner blazing and crochet at the ready.

Will light the Esse shortly to do Sunday dinner.

P is trying to finish the tiling in the Gite.

Have put a loaf on as bread used up but went out for a baguette for lunch. The bread will not be ready for hours!

Am on stripe 6 of this weeks crochet along. Will get the 15 done well before next Friday when the next lot is published. I do love the colours. Brightens up a dull January day.

Good to hear your mum was able to get out Sue. I always feel it is quality of life over quantity! Difficult time.

The evenings are noticeably lighter longer which is good.

Fri 18-Jan-19
9:01 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

apologies for being awol but had a big shock this week. A nasty person hacked my bank account and took nearly all my money! It was a bit of a battle to make the bank agree it was fraud and pay back my money. I am pleased to say I won! It has been difficult as my card was cancelled and I could not buy anything. I was able to transfer money so loaded up my new euro German onlne account. Once I have used a cash dispenser today the card will be live! Fortunetly I have a very good friend who paid for petrol for the mini .

I have finished the cottage blanket so am now just doing the sweet pea one. I will have to slow down. Maybe I will start knitting another jumper!

Woken to a frozen world today but the sky is blue and the sun shining. I would like to continue sorting out the greenhouse today but it need to warm up a bit.

Fruit cake to make and some sort of dinner!

Fri 18-Jan-19
2:27 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

Sunny spells with a shower or two today, but an exceedingly chilly wind, glad I don't have to go out.

You're crocheting up a storm, Aly - I'm only a quarter of the way through my blanket.  And I started it long before Christmas!  Motivation a bit lacking, too much else going on.

The health needs assessor from the Council finally turned up today to see my mum, having not arrived on Wednesday when she was supposed to.  The main things that mum really needs, a downstairs loo and a stair lift, are not going to happen - not enough room, problematical siting or installation given as the reasons.  There would be ways round the downstairs loo, at least, but the solution would be more expensive and not in the Council's strict remit.  The woman suggested that mum stay upstairs for longer periods!  Meanwhile, they'll provide another zimmer frame, raised toilet seat and different shower chair.  She said moving mum to a ground floor property (flat or bungalow) would be a possible solution, but mum's not willing to move, she wants to stay close to my sister.  Understandably, as sis is her main carer, and there are no suitable properties near where my sister lives.

And still no sign of an appointment for the colonoscopy examination she needs!

Sat 19-Jan-19
11:46 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

cold and foggy day! Went out earlier and at the end of our road saw a deer miss his leap up a bank. He fell to the ground and seemed unable to get up. I tried to help him but he was too heavy. A local farmer saw me and came to help. He checked the legs and all good and said it was in shock and needed to be quiet. We lifted him up the bank and laid him in the field. When I came back he had gone so I very much hope he recovered and escaped. I felt awful he was so scared of me.

More bank problems. My current account has disappeared from my NatWest app. I have tried to sort this out but without my new card no one will look into it! The only suggestion I have had is to go into a bank with photo I.D . I need to get this sorted before my next pension payment goes in! From googling the problem it seems this happened because of the fraud earlier this week! It will be my priority for Monday.

Not much will be achieved today. 

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online: Toffeeapple
58 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: Toffeeapple
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8068

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6671

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4421

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16146

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel, Yasemin331, Arokain, Bibi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16317, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder