stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2019
Sun 20-Jan-19
12:07 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Morning

after 1 1/2 hours on the phone yesterday I finally managed to sort out my banking issues. My account had been removed due to the fraud. Shame no one told me this would happen. It is back now and I have lodged a formal complaint about how it was handled.

Dull, grey and cold here. January is such a horrid month. Too cold to work outside so more knitting and/or crochet to do today. Will be pleased to move into February, closer to spring.

Work has stopped on our house while the Gites are being sorted. P will grout the new bathroom tiles today!

One of my ducks is limping so will have to keep an eye on him! Everyone else is fine.

Have a good day all

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Mon 21-Jan-19
8:33 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8072

Morning, very cold start although sun coming through.  Didn't see the super blood moon, cloudy to start off with when I got up just after 5 am, then when it cleared, because of the position the moon was in, I wouldn't have been able to see it anyhow unless I went outside and that wasn't happening, far too cold!

Husband's just made bread, I'm making dog food, breakfast muffins for the rest of the week, and a fish pie for dinner later.  Am going to try making meals just from freezer stuff for a few days, we have so much crammed in there it's difficult to see what's there.  I might make a cake for husband too, mincemeat probably, there's half a jar of homemade mincemeat left.

Good that your bank account has finally been sorted, Aly.

I hope we get some more members posting soon.

Have a good day.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Mon 21-Jan-19
8:52 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16319

I missed the Lunar eclipse too, the cloud cover was too thick.  I thought that since we had had a lovely clear, sunny day that we might have seen it but, thinking about where in the sky it would be visible, it would have been behind the houses opposite.  Just as well I managed to sleep through - didn't waken until 06.37, deliciously late for me.

I am catering for myself this evening so I shall stuff some organic chestnut mushrooms.  I have a head of Black Garlic and will put a clove in each mushroom then top with sage and onion stuffing with added butter.  I will need to find out how long to bake them it has been so long since I did it.

I'll try that again!

Mon 21-Jan-19
12:20 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

too cloudy here as well so did not see it either. A glorious golden sunrise though. All was frozen this morning but sunshine now and a few bees have ventured out.

Now I finally have a euro bank account I logged into Zooplus France and was able to find my details and re order the bits for the dogs. I wanted to do this as I do not know what will happen with Brexit! They are actually a German company so looks like I will be doing all things German from now on!

Very cold so no outdoor stuff again. Sweet pea blanket to continue with but might start another jumper!

I am also using up stuff in the freezer and pantry. Makes for interesting meals!

Mon 21-Jan-19
1:03 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I've never heard of black garlic TA, looks and sounds interesting.  Your mushrooms sound delicious.

I am sick and tired of all the 'B' stuff, as I'm sure everyone else is!

Mon 21-Jan-19
1:14 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Me too especially as I still do not know where I will stand once it goes through!

Mon 21-Jan-19
2:32 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

I just wrote a long reply which buggered off before I could finish it!

And, the line at the top of the page (the www.) says it is not secure.  I wonder what that means?

I'll try that again!

Mon 21-Jan-19
3:59 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

And I thought it was just a blonde thing, TA!! big_laugh  As to the 'not secure' thing....I don't know.  It doesn't say that on mine.

A dilemma for you all....

As some of you may know, we have a monthly pizza and dominoes night with our lovely neighbour friends once a month, taking it in turns to host.  H (the lady wife) and I aren't particularly bothered about the dominoes, it's just a silly game and we see it more as a chance for a chin wag.  The guys though get right into it and are very competitive (a bloke thing?).  Husband studies all the dominoes laid down already, working out what's left, who's got what (having watched what we each lay down) and strategies and he's a stickler for the rules....makes H and I laugh!  H's husband J is, if possible, even more competitive - he's always determined to beat my husband - and often does.  Not that my husband minds really - once the game's over that's it, he doesn't dwell on it or go on about it for days afterwards....unlike J, who keeps a tally of how many nights he or S have won and mentions it frequently.

Well, to cut a long story short....at the weekend, I caught J cheating, I saw him do it (he hid one domino under his hand out of the 3 he had remaining at the end of a game which I'd won (for a change!), not counting it but instead surreptitiously flipping it over and quickly burying it in the rest of the pack).  I called him out on it, laughing, but he got a bit aggressive, challenging me to prove it, and only backing down when his wife reprimanded him.  

I couldn't care less who wins or loses, nor could his wife - it's only a game!  And we don't even play it for money.  J wins a lot - at least, he has done up till now.  But has he?  Or is it because he cheats all the time?  To be honest, it's put me off of playing in the future - we're all friends, it's a fun night (or it was) and why on earth should he feel the need to cheat over a stupid game?

What would you do?  confusedwhat_the_heck

Mon 21-Jan-19
4:31 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I have seen the unsecured message but as I do not disclose bank details chose to ignore it! 

Cheating at dominos is a bit low but personally I would ignore it and just carry on enjoying the evening. If he is so serious he needs to cheat to win that is his problem in my book. I am also totally non competitive and do not understand those who are ( like my other half is) 

Mon 21-Jan-19
8:35 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Good grief, cheating at dominoes - what kind of thrill would that give anyone?  I think I would just carry on as you have been and sometimes just smirk at him, that might be quite unnerving?  I don't have the competitive gene either, have never seen the point;  I just like a chat and a laugh, as you know.

I lost my post earlier because I am not used to the new, shiny laptop and I have to learn where not to put my hands.  I am on the old one now.  I can't get my email account to migrate to the shiny thing, which is very annoying.  Dickie has been here trying to do it but he had to go out and will be here tomorrow.  I hope it won't be when I am out at my girlie lunch because I am used to the quirks of my old, dull laptop and he might just bugger it up...

Did I tell you about my morning at SpecSavers?  If not - tomorrow.

I'll try that again!

Tue 22-Jan-19
6:06 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Thanks ladies.  I don't want to fall out with them over it, it's so trivial, and H is such a lovely lady, we're on the same wavelength and get along very well.  Trouble is, I've lost all respect for her husband....to cheat during a friendly game between neighbours, and then to have a bit of a go at me because I caught him out is just a bit contemptible.  Ah well.  

Hope D's sorted your new laptop out, TA.  And not buggered up your old one!  (I wouldn't let S get his mitts on mine for love nor money....goodness knows what he'd do with it).  

No, you didn't mention your adventures at Specsavers....do tell!  laugh

Oh, and enjoy your lunch!

Tue 22-Jan-19
8:48 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning 

cold and wet but no frost this morning.

Shopping as normal popping into different shops for a few extra bits and pieces! Have done my usual click and collect.

Have started knitting a cardigan using wool from my stash. It is variegated pale blue, grey and pale pink and is knitting up in loose stripes. Rather nice I think, which was why I bought it a few years ago. I am on project use up my stash! The sweet pea blanket is on course to finish the stripes for this week.

I am overdue to have my eyes re tested and usually go to specsavers when in the UK. As I do not go back any where near as often and have cover for it here, it is time to have it sorted here. Need to get my head around that one though as glasses are very expensive here. Once I have a new prescription I could buy online. Will give it some thought!

Still re vamping the Gites so no progress on the house!

Wed 23-Jan-19
9:11 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

brrrr! Had a fairly heavy snow fall that will hopefully disappear quickly! Looks pretty though!

Want to get out to order the stones for redoing pathways. It will probably take a few days for them to deliver.

I have five more stripes to do on the sweetpea blanket for this week. Will get some of that done today. I am also getting on well with the cardigan I am knitting.

Need to make a cake today as fruit cake nearly gone. Also another loaf. With a bit of house work that should fill my day! Retirement is wonderful!

Thu 24-Jan-19
2:00 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

went out early to the market but it was soooo cold I came home early.

Finished the stripes for the cal last night so am getting on with my cardigan now. Next lot of stripes tomorrow so back to the sweetpea blanket then.

We have a friend of daughter and son in law arriving today for the weekend. He will be staying in a Gite.

Need to order more wood as we are lighting the fire every day now it is so cold.

Have been extravagant and ordered another David Austin climbing rose. I cannot have enough of them! I want to grow it along the front fence.

An afternoon by the fire knitting.

Fri 25-Jan-19
8:15 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

part 4 of the sweetpea blanket written down and have started on the next stripe. It is big enough to cover my lap now which is good.

Big delivery of stones coming today but do not know when! Have moved cars to create a place for them to be put and for the lorry  to turn around!

Need to take the recycling to the dechetterie (tip) today and refuel the mini. Hope to get out this morning so I can get a baguette for lunch.

This evening we are out to dinner with daughter, son in-law, their friend and our friends who recently moved here. It is a great bistro we know. A lovely change not to have to cook dinner.

Not quite so cold today.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8072

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6678

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16149

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

McCullers, Rskingdom, AlyssaDay, stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16319, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder