stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2019
Fri 25-Jan-19
9:29 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8072
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Morning, just dull, grey and cold here today - a nothing day again.

Going to have an easy day as I have terrible backache again....I shan't be sitting down all day though as that's just as bad for my back, will get up and move around every half hour or so.  I've not done anything on my crocheted blanket for a few days, will try to do a bit today.  

Thinking about what to grow in the way of veg this year, will go and have a look at the seeds in Wilko on Sunday (free parking in the town on a Sunday, so we tend to go then, unless we need to go to the bank or somewhere that's not open on Sundays).  I need a new big coffee mug too, the handle on mine broke yesterday.  We do have other mugs, of course, but I like a nice big one for my coffee.

I've discovered I really like Rooibos or Redbush tea, with a splash of soya milk.  Funny how our tastes change....I tried the tea once before, ages ago, and hated it.  I also wouldn't touch soya milk with a barge pole years back, but like it now....oddly, though, only in tea, not in coffee!  I do like soya milk on cereal as well.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Fri 25-Jan-19
9:52 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

I only drink black coffee or fruit tea. I like hot chocolate but prefer it made with plant milk. I use almond milk on my porridge each morning. I prefer vegan food but will have vegetarian if that is all that is available. At home I am mostly vegan!

One of the big benefits of living here is we rarely pay for parking. Town centers we have to show a blue disc that is set to the time you arrived. You can stay two hours. I have never seen anyone checking the discs! You can return to your car and reset the disc if needed!

P is devoting this morning to getting the paperwork in to apply for a French driving license. This is something we have to do in preparation for Brexit! I am so pleased I changed mine years ago! There is no cost involved but it is now an online process and lengthy!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 27-Jan-19
7:42 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

Terribly windy out, it's more or less kept me awake since about 2 am, I shall be fit for nothing later.  Thankfully, husband's cooking dinner today.  Nipping to town this morning to go in Wilko, hoping they've got veg seeds in and we need to stock up on some toiletries.

My mother actually had a proper meal yesterday, her first in several weeks.  Up till now she's been so unwell she's either been going without food at all for a couple of days at a time (sister has been making sure she drinks though, including a type of fortified drink for invalids), or only having a slice of toast and small bowl of soup.  It's no wonder she's lost so much weight, what with hardly eating and the constant being sick - thankfully, that's eased off a lot now.  She's finally got her colonoscopy appointment tomorrow.

It's actually blue sky out now, and dry after rain during the night, but it's still extremely windy.  The moon - well, half a moon - is still visible, shining very brightly, along with the sunrise.....very odd.

Sun 27-Jan-19
8:06 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

same here, just battled through the wind to let everyone out! Not sure the chickens will stay out long.

Hope to get a little done in the house today but P has footie to watch later which always takes priority!

Bit of a roller coaster of emotions with your mum Sue. Thinking of you.

Am on the 5th stripe for this week of the sweetpea blanket. After this batch I will be on stripe 60 of 84 so nearly there. Close to having another blanket done. I have one more lot of wool so will start twitching once that is turned into a blanket! Might go back to knitting for a while to use up other wool!

Bread to make today as well as usual Sunday roast.

Ordered more wood yesterday to be delivered Wednesday afternoon! Another round of wood stacking!

Mon 28-Jan-19
10:19 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning, blue sky and very bright sunshine this morning, it's a lovely day albeit very cold.  I've washed all the dog's bedding, blankets and towels and it's all on the line.  Betty is lovely, but she's a smelly little thing who makes all her bedding etc filthy (must be all that running about in muddy fields!).  Still, she's my baby and I love her to bits.  

Husband's out painting a door for an elderly neighbour and Betty's fast asleep (she has such a hard life, bless her big_laugh ), so I have an hour to myself.  Have just made soup for lunch and am now sitting reading the papers and blogs online whilst having a cup of Red Bush tea.  

Hope your day is as nice as mine.

Mon 28-Jan-19
12:23 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

blue sky and sun here but a very cold wind that is lowering the temperature. Finally given up and lit the wood burner. 

P has art club this afternoon so will have a quiet couple of hours with my sweetpea blanket. Did a large pile of ironing yesterday so nothing urgent to do.

Hoping my new English bank card will turn up today. Not that I use it much now but it is the final thing to be sorted following the hacking of my bank account.

Nearly done with January which will be good. Staying light until 6pm now.

Mon 28-Jan-19
6:45 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16319

It has been a glorious day here, too.  It started with the Moon, Jupiter and Venus in the east and has just ended with the International Space Station overhead from SW to East, visible for two minutes - I love to watch it going over.

I'll try that again!

Mon 28-Jan-19
7:30 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I've been enjoying seeing Venus and Jupiter in the early mornings too, they seem to have been visible for some time now.  Have just realised I've not had the NASA notification emails about the space station for ages, I wonder why?

Well, my mother, accompanied by sister, went for her colonoscopy this afternoon.....only to find out when they got there that it was only an appointment to see the doctor, not the actual colonoscopy itself.  She has to wait yet another two weeks for that, along with a CT scan.  My poor mother, her sickness and diarrhoea problems have been going on for literally months now, and she is still no nearer to finding out what the problem is.  Ludicrous.  She's so fed up, poor thing.  And she still has the UTI, the first course of antibiotics haven't cleared it, as usual.  Words fail me sometimes.

Tue 29-Jan-19
11:22 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

I feel so sorry for your Mum and you and your family too - it can't be easy being unable to do anything to help her.

As for NASA, notifications last for about a year, I think, then you have to sign up again.  Worth logging on to the ISS site and re-applying.

I'll try that again!

Tue 29-Jan-19
2:49 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

picked up the shopping this morning and also popped into Action ( like Wilko) as need a new dustpan and brush. They do one for 89 cents! Also bought a few wild bird food things which the Blue tits are busy tucking into. p had his photos done for his driving license application. Nearly gathered all we need now.

An absolutely awful day with non stop freezing rain. It is meant to turn to snow later...joy...,!  The chickens have all gone back into their barn.

On the last stripe for this week with the sweetpea blanket so back to the cardigan this evening.

Wood burner blazing again but as we have more wood coming tomorrow it is ok now!

January is going out in true style! 

Wed 30-Jan-19
9:09 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning, lovely bright sunshine this morning, albeit very cold again.  There's snow visible on the tops of the Quantocks in the distance, but it hasn't made it down to ground level.  We may have  a bit tomorrow afternoon, apparently, but it's not forecast to settle, I don't think.

We're off to Minehead this morning for a mooch around, they have a couple of nice charity shops there.  

Having a surprise quiche for dinner tonight....surprise as in I can't remember what I put in it.  I made it a few weeks ago and froze it, but forgot to label it, so it could have bacon in it, or sausage maybe, or perhaps roasted veggies, or even smoked haddock - all favourite quiche fillings I make often.  I know it's got cheese on the top!

Wed 30-Jan-19
9:23 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

Completely white sky here with more snow falling. The ground is already white! Our wood should be delivered this afternoon so hopefully the tractor can get here. On the last of the previous delivery.

Enjoy your day out. I miss the charity shops.

Working on the cardigan again, back finished and doing the left front now. It has a moss stitch edge which is a bit different. I have adapted the pattern as did not like the original.

Definetly an indoors home day today.

Wed 30-Jan-19
9:42 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Have a great time in Minehead; I used to work in The Beach Hotel right opposite the station, I loved it there and the town too.

We have another gorgeous day, such a thrill after all the cloudy days we had this month.  Blimmin' cold though.  I think we might go out for a drive and lunch when it has warmed up a little.

I'll try that again!

Wed 30-Jan-19
6:21 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Thank you TA, we had a nice time.  I found a lovely chunky knit hooded jacket in very good condition for just £3.99 in one of the charity shops, very pleased with it.  We were going to have sausage and chips for lunch, to be eaten in the car by the seafront, but our favourite chip shop was closed for refurbishment 🙁

No snow at all here, but on the way to Minehead there was a fair bit - well, about a cm or 2 - in pockets in places, some still lying fresh, some turning slushy.  It was odd, really - some fields, or parts of  fields, had a good solid covering, others had none at all.  I guess it depended how sheltered they were or which way the sun was shining.  

The writer of one of the blogs I follow, John of Going Gently, is holding a fun competition to see how many postcards his followers can send him, he's putting them into various categories - arty, humorous, country of origin, animal, retro, smutty etc.  I found a couple of retro saucy seaside ones in Minehead, so have sent them off to him.  He's had some brilliant ones (he puts them on his blog every day), even some lovely hand painted cards and, yesterday, a beautiful handmade quilted one.  I'm really enjoying seeing all the latest entries, he gets loads every day.  Apparently, his postman isn't enjoying delivering them so much, he's not got much of a sense of humour, according to John!

Did you go for your drive out and lunch today, TA?  Hope your wood delivery got through, Aly, although I'm assuming a tractor shouldn't have too much trouble.  The local farmers here are always willing to use their tractors to help pull out cars that get stuck in mud or snow in our little lanes.

Wed 30-Jan-19
6:25 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Wood delivered and stacked during a heavy snow fall!  Son in law helped and daughter did us a hot drink once we had finished. Set to freeze tonight so will be going to the market tomorrow.

Sounds like a great bargain. I could do with a few warm tops!

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
48 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8072

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6678

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16149

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

McCullers, Rskingdom, AlyssaDay, stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16319, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder