stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2019
Thu 31-Jan-19
9:11 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8068
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Morning, very heavy frost this morning, everything is white.  Glorious bright red/orange sunrise, though it's clouded over now.  Actually, the sky is uniform off white rather than cloudy, it looks like snow sky.  Snow is actually forecast for late afternoon/evening, although not for tomorrow.  Just waiting for the morning rush hour to die down (the route into town from here is murder in the mornings), then we're going shopping.  Want to get home before the snow starts.  I wonder what Betty will make of it, she absolutely adored the snow when we had it last February, we had a job getting her back inside as she just wanted to stay out and play in it.  Daft girl!

Take care all.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Thu 31-Jan-19
9:21 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

Morning

yesterdays snow has frozen and it is currently -6. Wood burner already lit! The sky here is white too but no more snow is forecast...they have been known to get it wrong 🙄

Might venture out a bit later but do not need anything desperately.

Hoping to get some renovation work done today but looks like P is not in the mood.

Getting on well with my cardigan which I will continue with today. Next lot of colours for the sweetpea blanket come out tomorrow. Lucy has mentioned on her blog there will be another blanket in April!

Chickens are out but the geese are finding it hard as not much grass to eat. Getting through more feed just now. I hope the bees have survived this cold snap.

Last day of January thank goodness!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Thu 31-Jan-19
3:26 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16317

I like the sound of your hoodie, just what you need in this weather.  So glad you enjoyed your time in Minehead even if your chippie couldn't serve you. 

We had a lovely drive out, stopping for lunch here.  I had black pudding hash with poached egg, bacon and pea shoots and was delicious.  D had ham hock terrine with 'matured' Picalilli and a warm, crisp roll; his wasn't quite enough to satisfy but he managed.  I drank a lovely Scicillian lemon tonic water, it was lush.

I know John, of Going Gently - I read and enjoy but seldom comment - also Tom Stephenson and Cro Magnon, sometimes Rachel too but she is hard going.

I awoke to a hard frost with Venus, Moon and Jupiter having changed places and it has now clouded over and the temp has increased to +2.  The poor birds, earlier - all their food and water was frozen solid - I shall put some seed out tonight to complement the fat balls, suet log and suet mince, that might be easier to melt in their mouths, bless them.

I'll try that again!

Thu 31-Jan-19
5:03 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

That looks a nice pub, TA, don't think we ever went there.  Both of your meals sound lovely - well, apart from the piccalilli which I really don't like.  

I know what you mean about Rachel, she is indeed hard going.

Fri 1-Feb-19
8:46 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

still some snow on the ground and it is very cold but no more snow forecast. The roads are clear and daughter was able to get to work. Bit of blue sky showing now.

Part 5 of the crochet along has been published and I am back on my sweetpea blanket. I have abandoned my cardigan as decided I do not like it! Patterns now are always so complicated and I prefer basic. I will spend some time today looking for my pattern folder and start again using one I am comfortable with. Whilst searching yesterday I found another blanket kit..the Harmony granny squares. I have always avoided squares as could not get them right. Having abandoned my cardigan I needed something to do so using the instructions  Lucy has on her blog I started out! I now have two squares done and whilst they are not perfect the second is better than the first. Think I will stick with this one in between the sweetpea which will finish soon.

P has an appointment with the doc this morning to get the paperwork needed for his French driving license.

Mostly a Home day but may get into the garden if the weather allows.

Sat 2-Feb-19
1:16 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon, lovely and sunny here and not even particularly cold.  We had a fair amount of snow, about a couple of inches, but it didn't really cause us any problems....the farmers all went out with their tractors and cleared all the lanes, which was nice of them.  They're very helpful here.  The snow is rapidly disappearing now.  Tonight though is forecast to be the coldest yet.

My brother had a bit of a nightmare journey Thursday afternoon/evening in the snow, from Gloucester to his home in Bodmin, Cornwall, took him about 9 or 10 hours, he didn't get home until gone 11.30pm.  Traffic was at a standstill for hours in parts and very slippy indeed in others, good job he's an experienced ex-Police advanced driver, has a large 4x4 and had supplies in his car.  Then yesterday he spent the day volunteering, taking NHS doctors and nurses to home visit appointments on Bodmin moor.  He does lots of volunteering jobs, he's a good bloke.

Mum finally has her colonoscopy this afternoon, she just wants it over and done with, she's not feeling very well at all.  She told my sis this morning that if she has any more illnesses or pains or new symptoms develop, she's not going to tell anyone, as she's just so fed up with the constant medical appointments and all the prodding/poking/pulling about/examinations etc.  Can't say I blame her.

Sat 2-Feb-19
1:30 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon

snow all gone but a freezing wind blowing.

Had some good news yesterday...my new NatWest card arrived and they have compensated me for the problems I encountered with the fraud issue. I have used some of the money to buy some gorgeous chunky wool, King Cole, in silver and pink. A friend has loaned me a great pattern for a chunky cardigan which I will enjoy knitting.

Getting on well with the sweetpea blanket.

Egg production reduced in this cold weather but will hopefully pick up once warmer weather arrives. A couple of bees are out today..they must be mad! I opened the hive attacked by hornets today and there is no sign of life. There was a lot of honeycomb built but it has been stripped of honey. Soon I will clean out the frames and put new ones in. Then if the other two hives survive winter I can re populate the dead hive with a swarm. Hope fully I can keep three hives going.

an afternoon by the fire with my crochet.

Sun 3-Feb-19
6:34 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning, very cold one.  Can't see what it's like out as it's still dark, loads of stars in the sky though so it's not cloudy.

Well, my mum finally had her colonoscopy and CT scan yesterday, she was in there for over 2 hours, sister who had to wait outside was getting worried.  They were given the results straight away - no cancer, but mum does have diverticular disease and some other relatively minor problems.  The doctor said the diverticular disease would be the cause of her stomach pain and diarrhoea, possibly occasional sickness too, but that it can be managed with medication and diet.  She also said that the severe sickness/diarrhoea mum had previously for several weeks was probably due to a particularly nasty bug, that lingered most likely because mum is so run down and weak.  We're relieved it's not cancer.

However, later on after they got home, mum had a nasty fall in her bedroom and was unable to get up, it took my brother, sister and BiL to get her up off the floor and onto her bed.  She had grazed her knees (her skin is paper thin and grazes easily), had bumps and bruises and was sore, but didn't need an ambulance.   Sis checked her over, gave her some painkillers and stayed with her until she went to sleep.  It's always a worry.

Sun 3-Feb-19
7:21 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

cold here too. We also had a magnificent display of stars overnight and blue sky is starting to show now. Set to be dry and cold here today.

Pleased to hear your mum does not have the big c but distressing all the same. Your family are doing a great job looking after her

Not sure what P will do today but he has been back in the Gite the last few days. The old wood burner is out and the new one in but not installed. This is what he is working on. My house takes a back seat once more!

On stripe 70 of the sweetpea blanket with 75 to do this week. Will carry on with the harmony squares next. It feels big now and keeps me warm whilst I work on it. I have enjoyed this crochet along.

We have worked out our budget for getting our house finished which is very close to the original made years ago. We will have to save for each stage but it is do-able. We do not want anything fancy apart from the lighting idea P has for the lounge. I am not bothered but am happy for him to do what he wants. Apparently the electrics need to be done next to get the whole house on the new arrangement. No more extension leads! I am grateful for any advancement we make.

Will crank up the Esse today to sort out Sunday dinner and think pud will involve custard!

I have the feeling this month will pass quickly with March close behind. Our first guest arrives in early March which will hopefully kick off another good season.

Sun 3-Feb-19
7:22 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Good news about your Mum's colonoscopy but I am sorry to hear about her fall.  I wish her a fast recovery. smooch

I'll try that again!

Tue 5-Feb-19
4:08 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Thanks Toni, unfortunately Mum fell over again last night, for the second time in as many days, she didn't trip over anything this time, just lost her balance - she's so terribly unsteady on her feet now.  She's alright, but has yet more bruises to add to her collection, and her grazed knee is even sorer.  It's such a worry.

It's been a dismal day, I've done nothing interesting, just some bits of housework (well, somebody has to big_laugh roll_eyes) and washing, and made a load of faggots.

Nothing that interests me on TV tonight, so I shall probably go to bed early and read....then husband can sit doing the man thing flicking through all the channels to his heart's content aargh

Wed 6-Feb-19
8:29 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Oh, bless her, what a shame!  I can't imagine how she must feel; I hope that she heals quickly.  heart

You did make me laugh about S and the remote TV control!  And, speaking of men - D came round yesterday to do something with my laptops ( getting them to talk to each other apparently) and every time he moved he dropped dried mud from his shoes so my landing, living room, kitchen and bedroom floors had lumps of it everywhere - I had swept and mopped it all before he arrived.aargh I wasn't expecting him and he arrived when I didn't have my hearing aids in so made me jump! Men!

The weather here was so dismal yesterday and it was almost dark by 4.00pm, we are promised a brighter day today thank goodness.  My hairdresser arrives today, it will be good to feel lighter around my ears. big_laugh 

I fancy something cake-like so I might just make a tray of brownies or an apple galette...

I'll try that again!

Wed 6-Feb-19
10:18 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

non stop rain here with rivers bursting their banks. The water table must be high! Cows are out in the fields making a real mess up their knees in mud. I have never known cows to be out at this time of year! 

Found an egg stash in the sack of sawdust in the chicken barn. A new place they are laying. At least they are laying.

Out for tea this afternoon to the guests who recently moved over locally.

The Harmony blanket is going well. I am now on the fifth square of the first line and loving it. I am actually keeping the squares the same size! Once I have done all the squares in the first strip I will get my head around putting them together. I have read the instructions several times so hope all will be well once I start.

I feel for you Sue, hope things work out.

Work is progressing on the repairs to the Gites. Still some painting to do but we will be ok for first guest who arrives in early March.

Slow cooker loaded so can forget about dinner thankfully.

Fri 8-Feb-19
9:29 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

final 8 rows of sweat pea blanket being done today. Then just the border next week. Meanwhile am doing really well with the Harmony blanket. I have now completed the first stripe and crocheted them together. Lucy gives such clear instructions even I can get it right. I am enjoying the difference of crocheting squares which have always felt out of my range.

My new David Austin rose is here so want to get that planted today. It is another climber so will go along the front fence. Really must learn how to take cuttings!

Getting more plaster board up in the lounge which improves the look enormously.

I was due to have my hair cut today but she has a heavy cold so delayed until next Wednesday. I have gone 7 weeks this time and will need a hairband soon!

Having a Home day.

Fri 8-Feb-19
4:19 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Good afternoon, it's been a funny old day, blustery wind and heavy rain this morning, interspersed by sunny spells this afternoon.  Not really a day for going out.  Had a busy day in the kitchen, best place to be on a day like this, husband's taken Betty out in between showers.  Made a lovely frittata for lunch, cheese scones to go with chowder for dinner.

You've done amazingly well with the sweet pea blanket, Aly - and having done another blanket and knitting in between, wow, I don't know how you do it, you must knit and crochet really fast.  The blanket I'm doing using the sweet pea pack is nowhere near done, not even half done in fact, I just don't seem to have the time...or sometimes the inclination.  

I know Spring is inching nearer, the days are getting longer for one thing, but I wish it would hurry up...getting a bit fed up with rain and wind and cold and more rain, it's like a swamp round here.  I want to be out in the garden, pruning and tidying up and planting new things that I have in mind (not bought them yet though, not much point at the moment).  It'll get here soon enough, I suppose.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
62 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8068

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6671

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4421

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16146

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel, Yasemin331, Arokain, Bibi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16317, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder