stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Good morning 2019
Fri 8-Feb-19
4:29 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Yes I do knit and crochet very fast! One of my few skills! Have done the 8 rows so sweetpea blanket done apart from the border. First strip of Harmony put together and am on second square of the the next strip! Will start the big cardi this evening as wool arrived today.

One wall of the lounge now has plaster board and it makes a big difference. Hard going lugging sheets of plaster board around though. Slowly we are filling in the gaps and reducing the amount of cold air that gets in.

Very wet and windy here too.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 10-Feb-19
1:18 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8069

Hello all, lovely and sunny now (Betty's stretched out on the bench in the front garden in the sun!) after a few heavy showers this morning.  It's still very windy though.  Changed the bed linen, did a freezer inventory and have written up the week's food plans, going to try and use up lots of leftovers hanging around in the freezer.  Husband's watching the rugby this afternoon, so I'll get on with my blanket.

The forecast is for the wind to die down and less rain this coming week....let's hope it's true!  10th February already....soon be Spring, thank goodness!

Roast beef for dinner later, a small joint reduced to half price about a month ago and frozen.  The veggies are prepped, just have to go and make the Yorkie batter.  I found a tub of last year's homegrown rhubarb in the freezer, didn't know we still had any, so will make a crumble too.  I might not eat it after dinner though, will probably be too full up - will most likely have it for breakfast instead! 

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Sun 10-Feb-19
6:34 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16318

I think we had some sun here too but I started an occular migraine at 12.30 which hasn't quite left me yet so I have been snoozing and missing the day.  I hate it when that happens.

Your dinner sounds lovely, especially the Yorkies and the Rhubarb, shall you have custard with it?

I actually got out my watercolours and made marks on a watercolour pad!  We shall see if it continues, I have no ideas in mind but thought that I should use the colours since I have them and they have been languishing in the studio for more than twenty years...

I catered for myself yesterday, D was picking his daughter up from Luton at 22.00 last evening so I decided to keep out of their way.  I had some tiny scallops that came from Ocado they were delicious but there were such a lot of them that I had them for lunch today.  I wonder what will be for dinner tonight?

I'll try that again!

Sun 10-Feb-19
6:54 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Last night was awful with the wind and rain. Not a good night at all. Today has been just as bad with strong wind and heavy rain. The fields at the back are flooded again. A tree at the side of our access road has a branch that has snapped and is hanging by a thread.

Managed two walls with the dogs but came home wet both times!

Bit of a nothing day due to being wiped out.

Made a fruit cake and did usual Sunday roast!

Am now on the back of the chunky cardigan ( both sides done). This will be very warm.

Plan to make up the pink needlecord into a skirt to go with this gorgeous pink and grey cardigan.

Had a lot of rain come through the kitchen chimney which is a pain. We are trying to save up for a roofer to come and sort it out.

Weather meant to be better this week so hope to get on with the greenhouse.

Didn’t know you painted TA. 

We had the rugby on too. I carried on with knitting.

Mon 11-Feb-19
4:43 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

I used to paint almost all the time but then I had to buy my own place and to do that I had to work after which there was no time for painting.  I have been putting of starting again but I think that if I just make some marks every day my confidence will build again.

I'll try that again!

Mon 11-Feb-19
6:18 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Hello ladies, it's been a nice day here but still a bit cold, not gardening weather yet!  Not good that you have rain coming in, Aly, hope you can get it sorted soon.  Sorry to hear about your migraine, TA, not heard of an ocular one, will have to look it up.  Hope it's all gone now.  

Apparently, my mum used to paint quite a lot in her teens, we knew nothing about it until a few years ago when she decided to start again, she'd never told us before!  She did watercolour painting, very good actually, she did it for a few months then stopped again.  She can't do it now, of course, with her failing eyesight.  I hope you get back into it, TA, what kind of things shall you paint?  You're certainly very artistic, your photography is beautiful and you have a good eye for colour.

The scallops sound nice, S is going to have them for his starter when we go out for the Valentines meal.

Tue 12-Feb-19
11:23 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Thanks for your good wishes Sue.  Ocular migraine is where I go a bit blind for the time that it takes to clear and I see a semi-circle at the top of my vision that pulses and has jagged edges in brilliant colours.  It used to be over in a few minutes and would happen only once a year or so but things have changed and I have had three this year, all lasting over 30 minutes.  The optician said that I should get checked over by the Doc but I don't know how long it would take to get an appointment and I will need a meds review this month or next anyway so will save it up until then.

As for painting, I like to do still life, that way I can concentrate on what is before me.  Your Mum must have been a bit of a dark horse, not telling you that she could paint!

I hope S enjoys his scallops; do you know what you are having yet?

I'll try that again!

Tue 12-Feb-19
11:25 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning 

P is back into his painting and drawing and doing very well. Not something I am good at, my talents lie elsewhere!

Beautiful sunny day with blue sky. A bit chilly but will be out doing the greenhouse shortly. Went to collect the shopping this morning and bought some garden wire to string the plastic bottles together. Once I have cleared the brambles I will start on the walls.

I want the greenhouse ready to use so that I can start the veg seeds off early.

Had dinner with eldest daughter last night which was lovely. Even though they live next door we do not get much time together.

Am now on the sleeeves of the cardi so will have it finished soon.

Tue 12-Feb-19
12:45 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Afternoon ladies, early sunshine soon disappeared, mainly cloudy now with little bits of blue sky, quite chilly too.  Took Betty to the vet for her annual booster jab this morning, a check up and 2 sets of tablets (worming and flea/tick preventative treatments) relieved us of £65, and that was after S's Silver discount.  Good job we save up for it.  It's worth the money to know our baby is safe and protected, though.  She's chewing on a cooked beef knuckle bone now, as a treat for being a good girl at the vets.

Yes TA, you could have knocked me down with a feather when Mum said she used to paint, she certainly kept that quiet!  I didn't realise P was artistic too, Aly - like you, I'm not either.  Crocheting and cooking/baking are my talents.  I've seen a greenhouse with sides made of plastic bottles, it's in a garden near where we used to live before moving here.

I'm torn between the scallops and chicken liver parfait (posh word for pate, I guess) for my starter, TA...or there's smoked salmon and prawns with salmon caviar, or a vegetarian soup (they don't really appeal).  For the main, S will have either sirloin steak or slow cooked pork belly, I'm going for the serrano wrapped chicken breast with pesto and sun blush tomatoes...there's also wild mushroom risotto with truffle oil and a parmesan crisp!  For dessert, if we have room(!), I can guarantee S will have the cheese board, I'll have the homemade crème brulee with homemade shortbread biscuit.  Or there's rhubarb crumble & custard (too filling) or a trio of mini chocolate desserts (too sickly).  Can't wait.

The ocular migraine sounds nasty, thanks for the explanation TA....sorry you have such a problem getting to see your GP.

Wed 13-Feb-19
6:56 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Morning

many thanks TA for your mention of ocular migraines. I looked it up and have realized that is what I have. It has helped me understand better what is happening to me. Mine are in clusters too which means I have two or three over a couple of days then nothing for weeks. I can manage them but they leave me wiped out. It is reassuring to know it is nothing serious.

Finally Having my hair cut this morning. It is a mess having gone eight weeks! My hair dresser has been ill! Eldest daughter is having hers cut after me so we are going together.

Made great inroads yesterday with the greenhouse. A bit more clearance today then tomorrow should see me starting to fix the bottle walls on. The chickens are very busy in the areas I have cleared scratching about. This week is set to be warm and sunny every day so I hope to get lots done in the garden.

Did some more of my granny square blanket last night as fancied a bit of crochet. I am now fixing the squares together as I go which is good as I can watch it grow. Once the current strip is finished I can crochet the two strips together which will start looking like a blanket. Not sure if the border of the sweetpea blanket will be published this week. I think Lucy said something about a week to catch up.

Good to hear Betty has a clean bill of health. We have Bruno and Frank vaccinated on different months to spread the cost.

Sat 23-Feb-19
8:57 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Where is everyone?  I thought you were all raring to go again, here?

I'll try that again!

Sun 24-Feb-19
4:59 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Sorry TA, I've been a bit preoccupied...as you've now seen! sorry

Sun 24-Feb-19
8:42 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

good evening everyone. Just found you again and trying to get back into the swing of things. Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather we are having. It has been a trying few weeks, I lost my son on Dec 28th he was 44.  We finally scattered his ashes off castle beach on the Falmouth coast, so now trying to move on. Hope that everyone is doing okay, and that your tooth gets seen to soon Sue

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Mon 25-Feb-19
5:32 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Thanks Eileen, my tooth is nothing compared to your pain.  It's lovely to hear from you again.

Mon 25-Feb-19
9:15 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Eileen, what an awful thing you have had to contend with, you have my condolences!                                               

I hope that you will find some time to pop in here, now and again. 

I'll try that again!

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8069

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6674

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16147

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2267

Newest Members:

AlyssaDay, stopjunkmail, amzoun9595, timothykinzel, Yasemin331

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16318, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder