stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New Year's Resolutions for 2010
Thu 24-Dec-09
5:15 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A very merry Christmat to you and Jade too, Nige.  Will you be spending the day together, or at least part of it?

I'll try that again!

Fri 25-Dec-09
8:09 am
helen
qld australia

3rd Grader
Members
Forum Posts: 15

I would like to stick to a menu plan and only buy what I need and only get what's on the list

also get freezer empty before buying anymore stuff

Sun 27-Dec-09
6:18 am
homojoe
Christchurch NZ

2nd Grader
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Well, I don't usually do the resolution thing either but there's a first time for everything. I've hit the late 20s slump and since I have realised that 30 isn't that far away I thought I'd better change a few things. The plan for this coming year is to get out of the house more for a start - I'm a total homebody and puttering around the house and garden makes me really happy, but sometimes at the expense of social contact.

Along with that, I'd like to get my body sorted out a bit. I'm transgendered and on testosterone, and also had a bout of cancer this year so my body has a lot of healing to do.

The only other real resolution i have is to do more for myself and less for other people, so I don't burn out as much. Nothing spectacular in there but I can try and see what happens 🙂

Joe

Sun 27-Dec-09
11:00 am
shelley
Guests

Good luck Joe; it can be so easy to become a homebird and then realise later that you have little social contact - I have done the same myself in the past.  I eventually joined a club that allowed me to meet others with similar interests.

Sun 27-Dec-09
5:28 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343

Hi Joe,

I'm am right there with you. I have a big family and sometimes you are so busy doing things for others you forget you need to take care of yourself too. I just got done hosting 21 for christmas, and the next day they all decided to go up to the snow and go tubing (sledding on intertubes for the uninitiated). I decided I wasn't going and got a ration of crap for it and was told I was selfish, to which I just smiled and said "I know".

You take care of yourself, you have a long road ahead of you. I may not understand your situation, but I truly admire you making a decision and moving foward with it. In my book you are very brave!

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Thu 7-Jan-10
11:58 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

My new year's resolutions are two:

the first is to give up smoking. so far so good on this front, didn't even crack when my blokey wrote my car off. Go me with the will power!

A minor loophole has been written in though, allowing us both (for he has signed up with me on this one, though he came much closer to cracking when he smashed my poor automobile) to enjoy cigars on special occasions. The next such occasion is only a few weeks away thankfully when I turn 25 in february.

the second is to generally be tidier/smarter at work. My boss has previously commented that my appearance at work gives the impression that I slept in my clothes (not the truth, I swear), so this shall involve going back on the oath i swore years ago to foreswear ironing except for interviews/weddings/funerals and perhaps christenings, though most of those i know who reproduce are heathens, and christenings are relatively rare.

Good luck to all those planning to be healthier. I'm thinking that combining this with the general desire people on here show for home grown home made goodness rather than shop bought processed euchness should help matters, no

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Thu 7-Jan-10
1:13 pm
SOL
UK

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 274

Go Rae!  Giving up smoking will not only be benificial to your health but your bank balance will love you to!

I have no resolutions, I dont make them.  I make small "ACHIEVEABLE" goals, that keep me going.  so I give myself 3 months to do something, the reward is in the doing it in itself.  My next goal is get my leg better, walk properly.  And then in May sail around Greece.  I could properly walk before, I will do it again!Ok

Thu 7-Jan-10
1:36 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

sailing round Greece sounds awesome. My mother and her new husband have a ridiculous floating Pimms palace (57.5 foot trader class motor launch is the technical term I believe) that they plan to take over to southern ireland in may, and I hope to accompany them, though I think i'd prefer a proper boat with sails and stuff. Hopefully this summer we'l invest in a small laser type sailing RIB to stick on the back.

Thu 7-Jan-10
2:06 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

Hi, Rae, and welcome. A "Pimms palace"! Lovely term that I have not heard before. I guess I am moving in the wrong circles (dinghy class Frown )

Never knowingly underfed

Thu 7-Jan-10
3:40 pm
SOL
UK

Knowledegable
Members

if it doesnt have sails I aint interested!  LOL  PBs mother and step father have a floating picnic table as we call it.  Beautiful yacht that they only ever motor anywhere on, never put the sails up.  Wouldnt ever let us put the sails up for them.

"a boat is a hole in the water in to which you throw money".

But I still want one!  LMAOOk

Thu 7-Jan-10
4:01 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

i'm mostly with you SOL, but me mother and her other half aren't quite up to manhandling all that rigging. You're right about it being a hole into which they throw money though. My mind is boggled by how much the thing costs them. They were going to call it the "SKI Trader" (Spending the Kids Inheritance, ho ho) but have instead gone for the more sedate "Somerset Trader" which always makes me think it's a rent boy.  The other considerd option, given that it's moored primarily in Bristol was "Slave Trader" but that was considered a bit too provocative.

Thu 7-Jan-10
6:03 pm
SOL
UK

Knowledegable
Members

why does it need to have the word trader?  Boats are normally given ladies names...

Fri 8-Jan-10
9:44 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

Because it's Trader class, apparently. Andrew (my mother's husband) was quite insistent, and he's the master sailor in the family (at the moment he drives an oil tanker, and has been at sea since he was 16, umty-um years ago).

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8083

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6690

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16082

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

miagiphy4673, Ali Boo, Myram, joecole, runzerjosi, linsellore

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder