stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What has made me happy today.......
Mon 10-Apr-17
10:35 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9438
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2101sp_Permalink sp_Print

Spoke to a lovely lady in the English tax office and am now de registered for completing a tax form in England. Finally after seven years of living here I only have to do the French one now! That makes me very happy as I hate form filling 

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 18-Apr-17
5:53 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
2102sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apart from seeing our first swallows of the year and the sunshine, the JCB driver unearthed 2 granite gateposts and a slightly damaged granite roller while dismantling the raised bed in front of the house.  If we can sell the granite items the proceeds will help to offset the cost of the driveway renovations. laugh

Tue 18-Apr-17
6:09 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 7991
2103sp_Permalink sp_Print

Let's hope you can sell them, Iris - lucky find!

We've seen a handful of swallows in nearby fields the past few days, but this morning saw 'our' house martins - the ones that nest under our eaves.  We've been looking out for them the past few days.  Only 3 or 4 so far, the rest arrive in dribs and drabs over the next week or two.

And it's been sunny all day again!  laugh

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Wed 19-Apr-17
5:18 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2104sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay! I have a polytunnel...and a very grumpy P! It was his idea to do it today, think it was his way of making me smile after losing Boris! I have portioned off the two beds, one each side with planks of wood and have a path down the middle. For now I will put black plastic on the path until I decide what to do. I have started digging and weeding the two beds. I should have it planted by the weekend. Still have the muck to move!

We have a large area next to the veg patch, behind the shed where all the garden rubbish goes, weeds etc. it is fenced off with a gate. The dogs have gone mad near it all day. Finally saw a rat in it. That is obviously where they are living since the trees were cut down along the river bank. It will be a huge job but I now have to clear it. It will be bagged up and taken to the dump. Needed doing anyway! It is a very fertile area and I will use it to grow more food!

Wed 19-Apr-17
5:28 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2105sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done Aly!  We have the new large polytunnel frame up now....despite offering my help, husband decided he could do it by himself, which I was glad about as with previous ones I've always ended up having my fingers trapped between poles, or a pole dropped on my head  yell (he swears he's not trying to kill me off - really!  big_laugh ).  Anyway, towards the end he needed me to help him fit one of the final poles....and promptly trapped my fingers  ponder (I just knew it would happen).  Will have to wait till next week now for the cover to go on, as he's back to work tomorrow.  Still, at least it's halfway there, which has pleased us.  A step nearer getting veg in there - will buy tomato & cucumber plants next week, as we haven't sown any from seed this year.

Wed 19-Apr-17
8:09 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2106sp_Permalink sp_Print

My frame was in place over a year! It has taken nearly all day to finish it! I am so pleased with it! P says it is my lady cave!

Sun 23-Apr-17
1:31 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to balance out my moan on the Rant thread......the swallows starting arriving a week or so ago, and yesterday the first of our house martins were back....already investigating the remains of last year's nests under the eaves.   laugh They'll have a bit of a job repairing them or building new ones at the minute - as we've had very little rain for what seems like weeks now, there's no mud around for them, the ground is bone dry.  Will have to put out some more water containers.....don't think just the dog's outside water bowl will keep everyone happy  big_laugh

Thu 27-Sep-18
6:57 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16274
2108sp_Permalink sp_Print

This September has made me happy, it has been so benign and sunny.  It rather looks as if things will change in October but we still have a few September days left to enjoy. toffeeapple

I'll try that again!

Mon 1-Oct-18
3:38 am
Power84
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 2

Receiving the set of Tobon Tyres all-terrain tires that I ordered online, really made me happy. It's been a week since I placed an order.  toffeeapple

Mon 1-Oct-18
6:00 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16274
2110sp_Permalink sp_Print

This forum is not a place for anyone to advertise, please remember that.  Anything like this will be altered or deleted.

I'll try that again!

Wed 3-Oct-18
8:14 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Two things

1. Finding this forum is back

2. Getting home after nearly two weeks away!

Sat 17-Nov-18
7:23 pm
hygge-hus
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 2
2112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just joined this lovely forum .............. 

After a great meal cooked by my mate - after a day walking my two lakeland puppies on dartmoor ......... brrr cold but great day 

Sat 17-Nov-18
8:45 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
2113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome. It has been quiet for a while due to problems but hopefully will pick up again soon now it is back.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
55 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10528

danast: 10232

Aly: 9438

Sooliz: 7991

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6670

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4397

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16068

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2260

Newest Members:

EvelynGlOme, Jameswoozy, RaquelGautt, BillyJoeSaunderstrich, Christianzogue, Vandakn

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16274, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder