The Cottage Smallholder


stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
PRESSURE COOKER
Mon 9-Jan-12
8:56 pm
Avatar
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Simon

I'msure you need liquid to build up a head of steam, and without it, you won't get the pressure to build, experiment by all means but as already suggested, I'd suggest doing it outside, and I'd also suggest a heavy duty wall to hide behind.

Mon 9-Jan-12
9:02 pm
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Terrier said:

Simon

I'msure you need liquid to build up a head of steam, 

Try drinking a bottle of Scotch first...that should build up a 'remarkable head of steam'....eeekeeek....runawayrunaway......big_laughbig_laugh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Mon 9-Jan-12
9:05 pm
Avatar
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

 big_laugh big_laugh big_laugh

Tue 10-Jan-12
7:14 am
Avatar
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034
Member Since:
Sun 7-Mar-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

ep said:

Terrier said:

Simon

I'msure you need liquid to build up a head of steam, 

Try drinking a bottle of Scotch first...that should build up a 'remarkable head of steam'....eeekeeek....runawayrunaway......big_laughbig_laugh

Single Malt of course sloe_gin 

 

So; the consensus is that without liquid there will be no steam. No steam means not much  pressure. Sounds like a safe bet to me ok.

 

IF and WHEN I find my old pressure cooker I'll give it a go and post the results.

 

SR

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

Tue 10-Jan-12
7:37 am
Avatar
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8083
Member Since:
Sun 30-Jan-11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You're a braver man than I big_laugh

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 10-Jan-12
7:40 am
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Sooliz said:

You're a braver man than I big_laugh

So...you're a 'Boy named Sue'????  Avatar needs changing....eeekeeek....winkwink

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Tue 10-Jan-12
8:03 am
Avatar
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8083
Member Since:
Sun 30-Jan-11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

ep said:

Sooliz said:

You're a braver man than I big_laugh

So...you're a 'Boy named Sue'????  Avatar needs changing....eeekeeek....winkwink

 

big_laughbig_laugh

Speaking of avatars.......where's yours?!?!!  (morning Elsa - we're hogging Simon's thread, we'll get spork when TA gets up whistle)

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 10-Jan-12
8:38 am
Avatar
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
Member Since:
Sun 2-Oct-11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

She is out on her broom going to help D with the packing so we are safe for a bit!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 10-Jan-12
5:12 pm
Avatar
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034
Member Since:
Sun 7-Mar-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I wouldn't worry, I hijacked the thread a while ago devil

 

Apparently TA's toffeeapple is in for a service so she has resorted to her tardis 

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

Tue 10-Jan-12
5:20 pm
Avatar
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Cheeky blighter! wink 

I'll try that again!

Tue 10-Jan-12
6:06 pm
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Toffeeapple said:

Cheeky blighter! wink 

Not me Miss, had no part in it Miss, I wouldn't dare Miss¦..well I might¦.big_laughbig_laugh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Tue 10-Jan-12
6:18 pm
Avatar
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So you say...shoo_fly

I'll try that again!

Sat 14-Jan-12
5:09 am
Avatar
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

SumpRat said:

ep said:

Terrier said:

Simon

I'msure you need liquid to build up a head of steam, 

Try drinking a bottle of Scotch first...that should build up a 'remarkable head of steam'....eeekeeek....runawayrunaway......big_laughbig_laugh

Single Malt of course sloe_gin 

 

So; the consensus is that without liquid there will be no steam. No steam means not much  pressure. Sounds like a safe bet to me ok.

 

IF and WHEN I find my old pressure cooker I'll give it a go and post the results.

 

SR

Just catching up with all the fun now, so hopefully its not to late to put in my two cents...

Just a theory mind you, but the biggest probem I see with the scenario...

Once you start the chips (or whatever) to smoking...

add your meat...

and then close the lid and seal the pressure cooker...

Wouldn't the burning/smouldering material run out of oxygen and go out? confused 

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Sat 14-Jan-12
5:47 am
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Michelle from Oregon said:


Just a theory mind you, but the biggest probem I see with the scenario...

Once you start the chips (or whatever) to smoking...

add your meat...and then close the lid and seal the pressure cooker...

Wouldn't the burning/smouldering material run out of oxygen and go out? confused 

Would oven chips work?  Then they would be ready when the meat was done.....big_laughbig_laugh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Sat 14-Jan-12
8:52 am
Avatar
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034
Member Since:
Sun 7-Mar-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Michelle from Oregon said:

SumpRat said:

ep said:

Terrier said:

Simon

I'msure you need liquid to build up a head of steam, 

Try drinking a bottle of Scotch first...that should build up a 'remarkable head of steam'....eeekeeek....runawayrunaway......big_laughbig_laugh

Single Malt of course sloe_gin 

 

So; the consensus is that without liquid there will be no steam. No steam means not much  pressure. Sounds like a safe bet to me ok.

 

IF and WHEN I find my old pressure cooker I'll give it a go and post the results.

 

SR

Just catching up with all the fun now, so hopefully its not to late to put in my two cents...

Just a theory mind you, but the biggest probem I see with the scenario...

Once you start the chips (or whatever) to smoking...

add your meat...

and then close the lid and seal the pressure cooker...

Wouldn't the burning/smouldering material run out of oxygen and go out? confused 

Good point. I shall add some sodium peroxide to the smoking mixture to add a "little oxygen".

 

devil

 

doh

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10531

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8083

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6690

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15955

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Posts: 123038

Newest Members:

Oredelamara, sancusimand, liokidwellvirgi, gbridgeeddy, miagiphy4673, Ali Boo

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516


Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder