stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden Day by Day 2015
Sat 4-Jul-15
6:21 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6687
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
271sp_Permalink sp_Print

Picked more Cucumbers, first two Strawberries.

Sun 5-Jul-15
2:44 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
272sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's the last of the Gooseberries picked, topped and tailed, and in the Freezer. Job well done. Plenty of Winter Puddings. Waiting for a new Rose Tree, Patio size, in Memory of my Pets, it is Red, and called' Love never Dies', supposed to have a lovely Scent, too.

Thu 9-Jul-15
8:24 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
273sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got my Rose, but waiting to get a new Pot. Fed and watered the Strawberries, cut off the Baby Plants, and will pot them up, I do not need them, but someone else will. Picked more Cucumbers.

Fri 7-Aug-15
6:56 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
274sp_Permalink sp_Print

Planted out  my Leeks today, it has been a Scorcher. Also cut a lot of my Tomato Leaves off to let the Sun get to them, apparently, we are due some Sun, so maybe they will ripen after all. The best performer as usual, is ' Shirley', always a reliable cropper, but my small Bush Tomatoes, 'Neat and Sweet' or Sweet and neat, forgotten the exact sequence. Been a bumper crop of Strawberries, and Peppers doing well, overall, very pleased with the Garden this Year, that is something I never thought I would say. Just realized I never followed on with my Bush Tomatoes, they are jam packed with Fruit, and beginning to ripen.

Sun 16-Aug-15
9:21 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
275sp_Permalink sp_Print

Been busy today in the Garden, got Ian, to empty soil from Pots that were now empty, into the big Tub, then put a good feed of Blood fish and bone down, and covered it with new Compost, it is now ready for my Overwintering Onions, when they arrive. Got to find somewhere for Garlic. Got more Potatoes, a lovely Marrow, my favourite Veg, steamed , with plenty of butter and black pepper, yum.

Got Ian, to move the four tubs of Strawberries that are going to a new Home, so they are ready to be picked up, and frees up space for me, and room for Bulbs end of September Picked my first Tomato, today, a small yellow one, from a bush Plant 'Sweet and Neat'  Leeks are in, and standing up like little Soldiars. Apple Harvest looks good. Got to try tomorrow to prune the Gooseberry Bush, I only have one, but it is massive, and badly needs opening out. Well, better get my Supper now, night all. Tinawave

Sun 16-Aug-15
10:32 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
276sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave I picked strawberries yesterday and they are so big and delicious.  Ben obviously thought so too, because I caught him picking one. Watched him later doing it again and of course he only picks the ones that are ready!!!   big_laugh

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Mon 17-Aug-15
10:45 am
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now the village show is over our tomatoes are ripening nicely confused.  OH has picked 4 melons and they have been deliciously sweet and flavoursome.  He brought in two corn cobs this morning and said that ? pigeons had stripped all the kernels from the cobs that are left.  GRRR Our onions have been a disaster.  They're not drying and some of the undersides are rotting so I've been using them already and the last ones will go into chutney when I have the energy to stand over the stove.  Have had loads of courgettes and a couple of marrows (sorry Tina I don't share your liking for them).  Even had a mixing bowl of strawberries yesterday.  Our plants are the sort that fruit throughout the summer.

Mon 17-Aug-15
12:39 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
278sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had to come in from the Garden, too hot for me, if I am out in it too long it brings on Angina, extremes of  heat and cold, especially Winds , are really bad for me. But will be out again as soon as it dies down a bit, the heat, that is. Potted up my Rose, which had been waiting for a while, took the Leaves off my Outdoor Tomatoes, 'Amateur' they have really done well, considering the Weather we have had, and are now ripening at last. Need to pot on some more Lettuce, to keep up supply, and still trying to find something to put my Garlic in.

Mon 17-Aug-15
5:27 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16334
279sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your Ben is a  discerning fruit picker isn't he?

I'll try that again!

Mon 17-Aug-15
8:50 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
280sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave He will pick tomatoes from the greenhouse too, given half a chance.  big_laugh

Mon 17-Aug-15
9:40 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
281sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got my Garlic in at last, now just waiting for the Onions to come, enough room in the big Tub for them.

Mon 17-Aug-15
11:13 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
282sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave You are so organised Tina. My garlic has not even arrived yet!!!

Thu 20-Aug-15
9:47 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
283sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looked out of the Kitchen Window this Morning, and saw my Garlic Bulbs were all uprooted, thinking it must have been the heavy Rain, I went out to replant them.   A blasted Cat  had used my Box as a Toilet. Luckily, it was not on the Garlic, but on the bit made ready for the Onions.  Luckily, was able to remove offering easily enough. And had to do an emergency Job, and cover the raised Bed with Bubble Wrap, pinned down with Plastic Spikes, until Ian  can put Netting over it at the Weekend.  Potted on my two Welsh Onions, they are coming on well, and should keep me in 'Spring' Onions, this Winter. It was a lovely Sunny Day, tomorrow, I must tackle the Gooseberry Bush, have  been putting it off.

Fri 21-Aug-15
4:19 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
284sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need to do battle with our gooseberry bushes and also the black and redcurrants but the forecast here is not good for the next few days.  If the rain holds off long enough for me to escape the house tomorrow I may try to take some cuttings and put in the greenhouse.

Fri 21-Aug-15
5:44 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
285sp_Permalink sp_Print

Once more the Gooseberry Bushes are on hold, unexpected Visitors. Grrrrr. Been a nice Day today, may not be tomorrow.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
86 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8081

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6687

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16068

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

ForkinAllotment, kindle girl, lovecooking, ukautos, tiamikotaophel, grace_acebedo

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16334, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder