stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Mon 1-Feb-16
7:53 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4396
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Got my plant propagator out today , seed catalogue beside my chair , let the planning begin, I love this time.

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Mon 1-Feb-16
11:21 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

waveTime is wearing on isn't it?  smile  I had planned to go out and work in the poltyunnel today, but the weather beat me.   Here's hoping it is still there by morning!!

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 2-Feb-16
3:15 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

In the same boat myself Danuta , blowing a gale here and was pleased to see it was still standing after last night, but the door is tied shut to try and help with the structural integrity.

i bought some kale seeds yesterday and want to get them started, but I think it'll have to wait a while. Don't want to plant them all neatly in seed trays and then them get a battering and end up on the floor. No sign of the wind dying down yet.

Tue 2-Feb-16
3:43 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Have been looking through my seed catalogue, so much I want to plant but not enough room. If only I could get the other half to allow me to dig up the grass

Tue 2-Feb-16
4:32 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Can you not sell it in the fact that he won't have to mow it any more!

Tue 2-Feb-16
4:43 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 7980

Do it by stealth, Eileen.....a foot width at a time  big_laugh  You know men aren't very observant  whistle

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 2-Feb-16
7:33 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Since we have paving all the way around it Sue I think he would notice Sue. 

Tue 2-Feb-16
8:12 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Oh that's a pity, Eileen.  Well, you'll just have to convince him of the financial advantages of growing your own.  We're gradually digging up more of our back lawn and making more raised veg beds (that's the royal 'we', I just do the planning!). 

Wed 3-Feb-16
11:42 am
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

We actually have a dry day with hazy sunshine but a cold wind.  I've checked and the lawn is dry enough to cut so I'm on a mission this afternoon.  I'll use the self propelled mower, not the ride on, as this will do less damage to the soil and raise the blade just to tidy up.  At least I'll feel I've made a start on the gardening this year!  Won't do the shoulders any good but I can relax tonight with a wheat bag.

Wed 3-Feb-16
12:03 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Did a bit of tidying up at Ita's on Monday, which included trying to keep some of her plants in check, she has a lovely big yellow daisy flowered plant, don't know it's name, but it spreads like mad. So I've dug up some of the runners and I'll pot them up today and put them in franks garden in the spring. They are lovely, but generally I don't do yellow in my garden, so can't have them here. If anyone wants a root, let me know and I'll post you one. I think it's some sort of rudbeckia. 

Wed 3-Feb-16
1:14 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave As the sun is actually managing to shine a little and we shall not get blown away, my friend and I are going to do a wee bit of planting in my poly tunnel this afternoon.  So looking forward to it!

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Wed 3-Feb-16
5:16 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Have planted celery, sage, parsley and mint in my propagator and ordered my seeds

Sun 7-Feb-16
12:38 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Have sorted though my seed box this morning, would be sensible not to get going with the planting until we get back from skiing, and I don't think anything will harm from the delay,,but really do want to get on with stuff. Cleared the veg plot the other day and although I've just said I'm going to have an inside day, the sun is shining again now, so I going to go out and do some tidying of the green houses, maybe even wash the glass. 

Sun 7-Feb-16
12:58 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

We're doing that today Jan - sorting through seeds and making a list of what to grow.  This year we're just going to stick to what we know grows best and we use a lot of.....not bothering with things like aubergines and peppers that grow - eventually - but never seem to ripen by the end of the growing season, or brassicas that just get eaten to shreds because husband either doesn't cover them properly, or the netting/fleece gets disturbed by animals, allowing the bugs in.  And this year I'm going to be on his back and make sure he does successional sowings, and doesn't grow so many bloody courgettes/cherry toms/whatever that we are totally inundated with them.  ponder

Sun 7-Feb-16
1:57 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I have just been out and 're potted my raspberries, to cold to stay out long though. Ian has just said he will by me some veg trugs, they were what I designed the garden for, but put them off because of the cost. Just as well I checked this post auto correct changed that to drugs.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 262

Currently Online:
25 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10485

danast: 10232

Aly: 9421

Sooliz: 7980

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6665

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4396

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15367

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2246

Newest Members:

sanhvcVah, Jeromejeods, breckjensen, Dennisreick, RobertTus, DonaldPhest

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16217, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 321, Danny: 5514

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder