stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden Day by Day 2017
Sat 28-Jan-17
6:27 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6665
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I know it is a bit early, but have washed my Propagator Pots, and looked out Seeds, going to get the Boys to get me some Compost, and Perlite, and some new wee Pots, any Day now.laugh

Sun 29-Jan-17
12:31 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Lovely and Sunny, so went out to Garden, and tidied my Strawberry Pots, clipped the dead Leaves etc. Loads of dead Leaves blown into Corners, so got the Yard Broom, and holding onto my Vehicle with one Hand used the Broom to push them into a Mound, when Ian comes up, will ask him to bag them for me, lovely Compost.   Going to send to my usual Supplier, for Seeds, great believer in new Seeds, yes, you get good results sometimes, from Packets you have had for Ages, but it's a bit hit and miss, fancy trying to grow Cucamelons, not sure how you spell it, but a cross between a Melon, and Cucumber.

Sun 29-Jan-17
3:30 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Ian, was up he says he definitely is taking Greenhouse this Year. He put the Leaves in a Bag for me, and fed the Birds, they are out of Peanut Butter, it does not last two Minutes. Sending for Seeds now.

Fri 3-Feb-17
3:39 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Got my Seeds, so sowing 'Valdor' this Afternoon, can't start too soon, and I have actually found Valdor growing against a Wall, in Spring, having gone right through the Winter. Valdor, is a Lettuce, by the way.  I once had a Neighbour, a Chef, who grew Lettuce  on his Windowsill, all Winter.laugh

Thu 9-Feb-17
8:52 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

In the light of rising Food Prices, am thinking twice about not growing Veg, and have decided that I will not do away with my two large Tubs, as planned, different Plan, what to grow, Perpetual Spinich, for one, and maybe Broad Beans.laugh

Wed 15-Feb-17
4:10 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9421

Turned out lovely this afternoon so put together the other half barrel to go the other end of the Gite barn. They will planted up with geraniums once the risk of frost has passed.

the bees were busy today coming back to the hive laden with something orange! No idea what! Will need to put the super back on soon.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 5-Mar-17
4:20 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Lovely outside Today, some beautiful Crocuses through, and the Daffodils are heading up.  New growth on the Sage, and Mint, and my Parsley, and Garlic Chives are looking great, have to re Pot both of them. The Rosemary has taken a beating, though. No sign of them moving the Greenhouse, can see me, sending for Plants late on, does annoy me, when People drag their Feet. I can't see what I am able to do, unless they move it.

Sun 2-Apr-17
3:50 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

What a difference in the Garden. all old Tubs removed, plus old growing Boxes, it is looking good.  Now I have a Patch which will be just right for Roses, because it is only partial Sun.  This begs the Question, which Roses?  There are so many that I love, don't know how I will choose five, think that is all the Space.  Must try for Superstar, Whisky Mac, Pascali, Louise Odier, and need a Red, depends what I can get, late in the Season for bare rooted Roses, might have to take Pots, which are dearer.  Also planted out Lettuce.  It was a very chill Wind, so not too fussed about being back inside.  Greenhouse, definitely going tomorrow.

Sun 2-Apr-17
4:45 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 7980

Sounds like you're much happier with your garden after your young helper worked in it yesterday, Tina.

For various reasons, we're very behind with our veg garden this year, we've not started off any seedlings as husband has yet to dismantle the 2 old dilapidated small polytunnels and replace them with a new larger one.  We've got it already, it's just a case of having the time to erect it. 

We've decided that this year we will grow less varieties of veg, will just concentrate on the ones we eat most of, taste best homegrown, or are more expensive to buy.  And we'll buy plug plants of several things, something we don't normally do but needs must!

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Sun 2-Apr-17
5:23 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

I've managed to cut all the grass today.  The lawnmower repair man came last week and said the battery didn't have enough charge to set the blades moving.  Didn't believe him and have proved him wrong today.  It's the switch sticking and preventing the blades from turning.  Will have to call him back to come and look at it again.  Grr.  It was just good to be out in the sun and fresh air for several hours.

I picked a few stems of rhubarb last weekend.  I know it's early but the plant was going to seed already so I need to feed it well as it must be struggling.  Whilst cutting off the seedheads I accidentally broke off some stems so couldn't waste them.  Very tasty too. 

OH's seedlings are coming on well and I put up the canes for him this morning ready for the runner beans (in the tunnel) which are growing apace.  He's even managed some weeding in his outside bed this afternoon.  Luckily the pain in his arm now comes and goes so he can do more which is pleasing him.  I suspect his back and knees will be aching later though.

Mon 3-Apr-17
6:48 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9421

Cucumber seeds have sprouted as have the courgettes. Just the butter nut squash to go. Made the same decision as you Sue. No point in growing carrots as they are always cheap and available. Courgettes we use use lots of..chutney, ratatouille and feeding chickens and ducks.  Butternut squash we love for roasted veg and soup and is hard to find. Cabbage we love too and they are growing well. I will buy tomatoes, beans and lettuce as plug plants, also peas if I can find them. Potatoes in the bags saves room in the beds! Trying to be organized this year! 

Still waiting for my polytunnel to be finished.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Mon 3-Apr-17
10:00 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

My 'little Helpers' were two hulking great Chaps, Sue, and they are not free, but they were thorough, and very pleasant, so did not mind paying for help, that my Family could not have done.  Daughter taking Greenhouse Tonight,Slabs laid in her Garden yesterday, then I can position my Beds on Legs, don't know what their real name is, but fell in lucky yesterday, Daughter phoned from the Garden Centre to say they were selling the bottom bits off cheap, as the Lids had been lost, so she got me two more, am like a Dog with two Tails, my 'Garden on Legs' , is taking shape, now have One for Tomatoes, and one for Cucumbers. Got Radish through already, but next Week, we are getting hit by severe Weather, so better get the Poly Wrap, ready.  bbl Tina x

Mon 3-Apr-17
2:02 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Greenhouse away, sooner than expected, Ian coming back later to sort out where it stood,  went out to have  a look, it is so empty!  Only got three Tubs of Strawberries, two Roses also in Tubs, my Thingies I have planted up with Salad Veg.  Of course still have my Raspberries along the Fence, my Gooseberries, Apples, Plums etc, in their mini Orchard. Did manage to take the middle growth out of the Gooseberries, so happy about that. Monty said Cup Shaped, did the best I could, have to be careful not to step backwards into the Pond.  I did try to cram everything into a small Garden, and could not do away with it now, as the Birds love it, so nice to see them taking a Bath, then sitting on the Fence, shaking their Wings dry.laugh

Wed 12-Apr-17
2:42 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Fought my way down the Garden, these Gale force Winds are wreaking Havoc. Everything is so dry, had to water. On the plus side, my Spring Onions are through, also the Lettuce, Packet marked 2009, am surprised. Also Lettuce I planted out, hanging on in there, Radish, doing well, so beginning to look productive. Glad to be back Indoors, as well as being Gale Force, the Wind is bitter.tea

Thu 13-Apr-17
9:14 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Got Foxgloves, Dahlias, and Fuchsias ordered from Ebay, much cheaper, and always been satisfied. Found a couple of old Cucumber Seeds in a Packet, so am going to sow them tomorrow, after my success with the 2009 Lettuce Seeds. Sending for Elephant Garlic Bulbs, can't be bothered with the tiny Supermarket Bulbs.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 262

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10485

danast: 10232

Aly: 9421

Sooliz: 7980

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6665

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4396

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 15365

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2244

Newest Members:

kejitas, ovaqumvowegof

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16217, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 321, Danny: 5514

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder