stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Ideas for CSH meet-up June/July 2011
Wed 7-Jul-10
10:19 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Most of the villagers here have cows and I try desparately hard never to inhale when in close vacinity to the said beast.  Added to that I don't even like milk, never had from the day that it got warm in the playground and we were forced to drink it...just make it into yoghurt and you have a fan for life.

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Wed 7-Jul-10
11:43 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

Heh, I saw a child inhale a sausage roll once. it was scary, but I bet she'll be popular when she grows up.

I have to say, I greatly prefer the prospect of a meat based joint. I don't do the other kind.

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Wed 7-Jul-10
11:54 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10530

'S funny, Rae Mond, when I read Danny's post, my thoughts were the same as yours - Big_Laugh  Big_Laugh

"How do you spell 'Love'?" (Piglet). 

"You don't spell it, you feel it" (Pooh).

'A hug,' said Pooh 'is always the right size!' 

Thu 8-Jul-10
12:24 am
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Rae Mond - can you tell me how to say Caerdydd, Cymru, phonetically, please?

Thu 8-Jul-10
9:55 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

the doubld d is a th, and the Y in cymru is a U, and the U, a Y.

caer I think is pretty much phonetic anyway, I'm not sure how else to write it. kai-r maybe.

so it's kai-r-dee-th and cumree.

a lot of english people don't realise that welsh has a different alphabet, the characters look exactly like the english alphabet, but they're not. The welsh alphabet (Yr Wyddor) goes like this:

A

B

C

Ch

Dd

E

F

Ff

G

Ng

H

I

L

Ll

M

N

O

P

Ph

R

Rh

S

T

Th

U

W

Y.

Welsh is also a pretty phonetic language, you don't get the same things as you do in english, where things  like  -ough have lots of different sounds (rough, bough, though). A letter has one sound, and most of the time you sound each letter to make up a word. The exception that proves this is Y, which either sounds like a U or an I depending on where it is in the word. in Cymru it's the first vowel, and sounds like a U. in Caerdydd it's the last and sounds like a long I.

Mynnydd (mountain) is fun because it has both sounds of Y in it, mun-ith. Y on its own, as a word, is pronounced like the last bit of "the" (when "the" is a said with the emphasis on "th" not on "ee"). Make sense?

the other thing is that DD is soft, as in "with", Th, is a shorter sound with more emphasis, more like "that". it's a sublte distinction.

Thu 8-Jul-10
10:28 am
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

WaveThat was a really interesting post Rae Mond, very informative.  I found myself absorbed and speaking out loud to get words right.  

My dad was Polish and although he spoke very good English, there were a few things that confused him and all the 'ough'  words were especially difficult.  English is not an easy language to learn.

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Thu 8-Jul-10
1:19 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

the -ough thing is massively confusing to people trying to larn English, and indeed to many native english speakers who have issues with spelling. I'm not aware of instances in the other languages I have any knowledge of (french, latin and welsh) that there are any similarly chameleonic letters.

C is another in, in english, can be hard or soft. In Welsh and Latin it's always hard, in french it's mostly soft as I remember.

another really fun (urgh) thing about welsh is mutation. The way I think of it is that some words are radioactive (feminine words and little conjunction words like yn or am), and cause mutation in the word followign them. some words are made of lead and don't mutate themselves or allow the thing after them to mutate, some don't mutate but allow the radiation through. There are different kinds of mutation also (sometimes a p will become a b, other times a ph, sometimes a c will become a g, or an ng, or a ch. Which is why on "welcome to wales" signs the welsh says "Croeso i Gymru" not "Croeso i Cymru").

I'm far from an expert on all of this, as I've only done one year of basic and foundation welsh, and may not have passed the foundation module. Hopefulyl I'll be doing intermediate come september, and will maybe one day understand more of the grammar :s

Thu 8-Jul-10
1:27 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

WaveI think I had better stick to English, because although my father could speak about 5 languages I think,  and had a smattering of a good few others, my linguistic talents are only within the English language - a fact I often regret.  I didn't even learn Polish as my dad was a sea captain and away from home for long stretches, so we never really had the chance to learn it.

Sorry, I know this is way off thread.  I blame BS for starting this conversation.  Big_Laugh  Big_Laugh  Big_Laugh

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Thu 8-Jul-10
1:29 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

First event at the CSH meet-up then!

Welsh for Beginners (no Dummies here, thank you) presented by Rae of the (then) flowing locks Cheers

Never knowingly underfed

Thu 8-Jul-10
2:41 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

da iawn.

Thu 8-Jul-10
3:03 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Thanks, Rae Mond - you star Star

All languages are complicated if it is a requirement to learn - as opposed to hearing it as a young'un, and just knowing it !!!

That was very informative, as Danuta said. WellDone

So, at the CSH get-together, poor Rae has to be teaching Welsh, and explaining pharmaceuticals, ay?

Oh, and Danuta, I accept the blame!!!! Big_Laugh  Big_Laugh  Big_Laugh

BrightSparklyStuff

Thu 8-Jul-10
5:50 pm
Ruthdigs
Devon

Expert
Members
Forum Posts: 617

This sounds like a fab idea and I'd definitely love to be part of it.  Small is a good starting point I think for all the well explained and varied reasons posted here.  I'd also be up for a little camping and a bring and buy / swap - though limited to what I can heft on the train!  Roll_Eyes  Perhaps I'd better make sure I drink whatever I buy before leaving again... Cheers

Thu 8-Jul-10
5:55 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

Leaving aside the minor Welsh derailment, we have some good ideas already from your suggestions. Ok

And, Barbara, I must investigate that idea of seeing how other garden events handle things.

Never knowingly underfed

Thu 8-Jul-10
7:52 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

well brought under control Danny boy, very masterful.

is there a whip emoticon? there used to be hancuffs on msn...

Thu 8-Jul-10
7:59 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294

What about the foodie French lessons? Laugh

Ruth, I might well be on a train too, maybe we could prolong the event by travelling together?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 509

Currently Online:
43 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8076

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6681

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16152

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2268

Newest Members:

adakdd, DavidCameron, courticev, McCullers, Rskingdom, AlyssaDay

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16321, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 322, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder