stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Ideas for CSH meet-up June/July 2011
Thu 8-Jul-10
8:04 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rae Mond said:

the -ough thing is massively confusing to people trying to larn English, and indeed to many native english speakers who have issues with spelling. I'm not aware of instances in the other languages I have any knowledge of (french, latin and welsh) that there are any similarly chameleonic letters.

At the risk of dragging this back off topic again Danish is very chameleonic, just as bad if not worse than English. d can be pronounced as a d or an l, is the one I can remember off the top of my head but there were loads more. Needless to day my ability to read Danish far outweighed my ability to speak itDoh

Thu 8-Jul-10
9:33 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

JoannaS said:

At the risk of dragging this back off topic again Danish is very chameleonic, just as bad if not worse than English. d can be pronounced as a d or an l, is the one I can remember off the top of my head but there were loads more. Needless to day my ability to read Danish far outweighed my ability to speak itDoh

I should really read things more carefully. Twice, I read that as Danny is very chameleonic... Mis-reading something once is bad enough but when you realise something isn't quite right and go back and read it again, and make the same mistake, it's a little worrying.

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Thu 8-Jul-10
11:23 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

No worries, BobQ - i seem to fit in everywhere.

Maybe you are psychic? Like that German octopus?

Never knowingly underfed

Fri 9-Jul-10
11:00 am
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

Hi Danny, funnily enough, I have just this minute come back from the kitchen next to my office, to get a cup of tea Tea and a few people were discussing the football. One of them was telling me about the octopus - I hadn't heard of it before. I decided to check this forum and found your comment....

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Fri 9-Jul-10
2:50 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

bobquail said:

JoannaS said:

I should really read things more carefully. Twice, I read that as Danny is very chameleonic... Mis-reading something once is bad enough but when you realise something isn't quite right and go back and read it again, and make the same mistake, it's a little worrying.

I know the feeling, I had that problem big time this semester with my course but had something to do with a neighbours clothes drier making a noise that vibrates the brain cell - not helpful Steam. Anyway I think you were right the first time "Danny is very chameleonic." RunAway

Fri 9-Jul-10
5:40 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

Wave Like it Joanna  Big_Laugh   Big_Laugh    Big_Laugh

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sat 10-Jul-10
9:36 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

What a coincidence, BobQ - life is full of them, I think.

Even without a clothes drier, I get dyslexic moments like the time I saw a recipe title for Hunan Pork and read Human Pork. I guess it happens to everyone.

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 10-Jul-10
5:13 pm
shelley
Guests

Danny said:

A secondary aim would be to provide some means of buying and selling wares and so on. We would love to try some of Shelley's jams, just to quote one example.

Fame already!! How fun

On another note and with the understanding that I have been off line for so;e time and on my return cant be bothered to slog through all of this post; here is my 2 pennorth

We regularly attend get togethers of our geocaching friends  (http://www.geocaching.com)

For the smaller events everyone who attends brings a local dish/speciality to share together and it is so lovely!  It also reduces enormously the organisation/ hasle for the organisers Danny.  Depending on numbers the events are then held either in members houses or in church/village halls.

I do hope to get over next year; probably organise my annual family visit to coincide with the event; but cant commit to anything as yet

Sat 10-Jul-10
5:15 pm
shelley
Guests

Danny said:

I get dyslexic moments like the time I saw a recipe title for Hunan Pork and read Human Pork. I guess it happens to everyone.

dragging this off topic again- I recently read the words 'For Cooking and Country' on a memorial; obviously meaning to read For God King and Country - either that or they were remembering the catering corps!!

Sat 10-Jul-10
9:23 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829

Phew!

Read through it all...I'd say start small, big things are a NIGHTMARE to organise, small v. easy.

Bring food and drink is an excellent idea- hosts should be having fun too, not chained to the kitchen- and we'd get all sorts of unexpected and interesting things brought along.

UI in Dutch. Very confusing to the English speaker. Until you discover it is the same as OU. Then you realise all the vowels sound like other vowels and this is why you cannot work out how to pronounce ANYTHING. Then your head explodes.

One of my best mis-readings: "Sausage Tours' on the back of a coach. Can't remember what it really said, somehow sausage tours seemed way more appropriate.

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Sat 10-Jul-10
10:34 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members

Wave I often used to pass a van on my way to work that said 'Shopfitters'   I read it as shoplifters, every time.  Doh

I agree about bringing food to the event, although I may find it difficult depending on how I travel.  I don't fancy driving all that way on my own.  Routemaster reckons it would take 8hr 37m to drive and that is without stopping so if I can come,  I may take  the train or a bus.  We shall see nearer the time.

Sun 11-Jul-10
4:55 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

I think the format of the event is taking shape and seems like a mixture of your geocaching meet-up, Shelley, with a friendly garden party and stay-over options for long distance travellers or late night carousers. You are right about the catering, Kate - too often the hosts do not get to enjoy the company until too late and we will be having none of that!

Danuta, no worries. Just slip a bottle of malt into your suitcase! We can plot your route in due course and pick you up (and anybody else coming by train) from the appropriate station the afternoon before. I guess it would make sense to tie it in with an overall holiday plan as it is such a long way to come.

Our local church celebrated its 750th anniversary today with a special service and lunch in the grounds. Even though F and I are not church goers we support these events and we went along to the lunch. They have three marquees and tables & chairs etc. to rent so that will go into the mix too.

Never knowingly underfed

Sun 11-Jul-10
9:02 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343

Yes, trying to bring food over a long distance is very daunting. Would you be willing to accept donations toward rental equipment, or supplies?

Also, one other thing to consider is the HUGE amount of wonderful cooks that seem to be about. I'd be happy to take a turn over a grill, or in the kitchen cooking to keep the masses fed.I_am_Hungry

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Sun 11-Jul-10
11:26 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members

Wave  Me too.  I would do anything to help on the day.  Big_Hug

Sun 11-Jul-10
11:43 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Michelle - thank you for offering. We may need serving wenches on the day. Big_Hug

If you do not already have a French Maid outfit, one may be provided! Big_Laugh

No worries - I think all on here are willing to muck in and play their part when the time comes.

Never knowingly underfed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
31 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8081

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6687

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16069

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

detroitcashforhomes, ForkinAllotment, kindle girl, lovecooking, ukautos, tiamikotaophel

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder