stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Forum software was uograded today May-25 at 07:30
Thu 27-May-10
6:11 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16336
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm glad your boxes are back.  I can use emoticons every time too, it's so much easier isn't it?

I'll try that again!

Thu 27-May-10
7:59 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

That is good news, Danuta. I did hope that the upgrade might be good for Mac users.

Never knowingly underfed

Thu 27-May-10
10:09 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Toffeeapple, I have tested it in Chrome and I can read messages OK. There is a significant difference with this new forum software, though.

When you click on a message title to read it, the title turns green. But you have to scroll right down to the bottom of your screen to view the message contents. In the old version, the message appeared where you expected it to (i.e. exactly where you clicked).

Let me know if that solves the mystery.

Never knowingly underfed

Thu 27-May-10
11:02 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Woohoo!  Thank you Danny that has solved the problem.  I was obviously expecting to see the message where I always had.  I shall remember that ~ I hope...  Big_Hug

I'll try that again!

Fri 28-May-10
6:22 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Good. It is counter-intuitive and a bit of a backward step in my books. Never mind. All's well that ends well.

There are still one or two minor tweaks required but we are almost there.

Re Clearing your cache: Your browser stores many images and other bits and pieces on your PC from every site that you visit. That make reloading a site faster because if your browser can find images on your PC then it does not need to download them from the site again. Occasionally this is a nuisance and, over time, the cache grows to an extent that may slow your browsing experience. It does no harm whatsoever to clear the cache occasionally. I usually clear everything at the same time (cache, browsing history, cookies etc.) but you can just clear the cache only in Chrome if you wish.

Click on the Spanner icon, top right corner
Click on Options
Click on the Under the Bonnet tab
Click on Clear Browsing data
Uncheck all but the Empty the cache check-box
Click on Clear Browsing Data

Never knowingly underfed

Fri 28-May-10
11:55 am
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Done! Thank you Danny, I'd never investigated that area before just in case I did something that I'd regret. Roll_Eyes

I'll try that again!

Mon 31-May-10
9:48 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294

I logged on not very long ago, and was it said unread posts in 40 topics. I looked at two topics, posted twice, and now it says 0 unread topics.

Now I will never be able to catch up!

Tue 1-Jun-10
10:42 am
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members

Next glitch. I mentioned on the Random Pictures thread that I couldn't read the full width of the posts. This thread is fine, so the width problen is not whether or not the thread is post update. Help???

Tue 1-Jun-10
11:30 am
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

Barbara, I sometimes don't see the whole page either but if I go to the bottom of the page it just needs to be scrolled over to the right.  Don't know if this is the same problem, but do have a look.  I use a Mac so it may be different.

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 1-Jun-10
12:03 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members

Thanks, Danuta. I use a Mac too. I have tried scrolling across, and it just loses the left of the column the forum is in, it doesn't make it wider. I can't find a way to may the whole forum wider (perhaps that's not really wanted, I don't want to be wider Big_Laugh) but I mean I can't see a way to get the right hand ends of lines and pictures on some threads. It shows the grey line down the page to the right of the forum, and hides whatever runs on beyond that. Cry

Tue 1-Jun-10
12:18 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

Sorry I can't help. Frown  It sounds really strange and I can think of no solution.  The only difference between  us is that I use Safari.  Good luck.

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 1-Jun-10
1:03 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Hi Barbara.

The way it quickly loses the count on unread threads is a bummer. I had a discussion with the forum software authors about this over the weekend in the hope that some better mechanism could be implemented. But, alas, they have no plans.

The annoying aspect is that it does have the capability, as you discovered, to detect the 40 threads that you had not yet visited. But it timed out that list too quickly. I will ask if the timeout duration can be extended. I'm sure that would be a simple solution. As an Admin, I have a list of unread threads on my Admin panel that never times out and is only cleared as I visit each thread. But they will not develop a similar facility for normal members.

Your other issue regarding the width and end-of-lines being invisible is probably a greater irritant. One potential solution that I may experiment with is making the entire site wider, or full-width. then it should adjust to older screens that do not support a resolution that enables full-width viewing. it is interesting how the site stats have shown a changing set of most common screen resolutions over the past four (almost) years. I guess people gradually invest in newer computers with more modern graphics.

I do not have access to a Mac, or to a Mac user, so I am unable to replicate your particular issue (you too, Danuta).

Never knowingly underfed

Tue 1-Jun-10
1:52 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

Hmm…I posted the remark that I could'nt see Barbara's Avatar and when I came back to add that I couldn't see MOS's either, the original reply had disappeared.  I'm now in Firefox to see if that makes a difference.  I also notice that Barbara doesn't have an avatar! Roll_Eyes

I'll try that again!

Tue 1-Jun-10
8:20 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members

Danny, you are right, losing the right hand edge of posts is much more irritating than the red for unread threads timing out. I can cope with the timing out, though I hope you can get the time extended. But not being able to read the right edge of posts means they don't make sense.  And why it is only some threads means it makes it harder to track down, I suspect. But there is no point in finding an easy problem when you can come up with a real challenge! Whistle

TA, true I have no avatar, but at the moment I'd settle for being able to read the whole forum.

Tue 1-Jun-10
9:37 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Barbara, I strongly suspect that even I made the forum wider, your problem would still persist with longer sentences. Let's see what the experts say about your Mac/Firefox combination.

The timeout on unread topics was 20 minutes and I was told where to find the setting so I have now made it 45 minutes. The only downside is that if a member drifts off without logging out, then he/she will appear to still be online for a further 45 minutes. But we can live with that.

Never knowingly underfed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10530

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8083

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6690

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 16083

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

gbridgeeddy, miagiphy4673, Ali Boo, Myram, joecole, runzerjosi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16336, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder