Cheesy dauphinoise potatoes á la Cottage SmallholderPosted by Fiona Nevile in Vegetables and Sides | 13 comments
I’ve been fond of Dauphinoise potatoes since I worked in a Le Routier restaurant and the chef, Robert, made fabulous Dauphinoise. I decided to make them tonight to accompany our Spanish Lamb. I had chopped and arranged the potatoes before I discovered that we had run out of cream. This has happened before and in desperation, I created this dish. I’d forgotten how good it is and it worked brilliantly with the lamb. The crunchy, cheesy top covers a wonderfully succulent bed of soft potato – real comfort food.
|Cheesy dauphinoise potatoes á la Cottage Smallholder||
- Pre heat the oven to 160c (140c fan)
- 4-6 medium potatoes
- 100g cheddar cheese (grated)
- large clove of garlic (chopped)
- Good sprinkle of salt and ground black pepper
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Arrange them in a buttered dish, standing them upright (during the cooking process the cheese will melt between the slices).
- Sprinkle over the grated cheese,garlic and a good swish of salt and ground black pepper.
- Pour the milk over the cheese and potatoes to reach three quarters way up the slices in your dish (all the milk will be absorbed by the potatoes during cooking).
- Bake for an hour and a half or until tender (check them after an hour to see how they are doing).
Leave a reply