The Cottage Smallholder


stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1960's Dinner
Thu 16-Aug-12
7:44 pm
Avatar
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1321
Member Since:
Tue 20-Apr-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Well many thanks for the suggestions. I think where I am at right now is:

 

Shrimp Cocktail in Avocado

 

I am really tempted to go with chicken in a basket, it has all the elements of crass that I am seeking, can I do something with it I wonder, maybe hide a quality surprise under the chicken and chips ? Or even make mini chicken kievs. TA I could not go with the Steak Diane, I am not too sure I even knew what that was in the 60's I obviously was waiting for a posh girl like you to come along!!!

 

Then for sweet course I might go for my much loved Rum Baba except use Lemoncello

 

Maybe have a small cheese platter, nothing foreign just cheddar and stilton and melba toast (I can't make biscuits!).

 

Then Nescafe !!! Ugh !!!!

 

For wine I think Mateus is obligatory, any ideas about a pre-meal drink ? Maybe some punch or similar....

 

This is great fun, I will probably change my mind tomorrow about the menu but many, many thanks for your suggestions, keep at it. The memories keep flooding in.

 

Oh and of course there is another problem, that is clothing which also has to be 1960's - I may well have some of that still in my wardrobe!!!

I have reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me...

Thu 16-Aug-12
8:00 pm
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You're not talking about those hot pants again are you Chris….I know you said that they were your mothers but maybe that's our little secret that we shouldn't share with too many on the forum…oh …what a give away…..dohdoh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Thu 16-Aug-12
10:47 pm
Avatar
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533
Member Since:
Wed 30-Dec-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Chicken Veronique

Sole Veronique

Chicken Marengo

Beef Bourguignon

Beef Stroganoff

Carbonnade Flamande

Goulash

Veal Cordon Bleu

Pork fillet stuffed with prunes

The orange or grapefruit with cocktail sticks - glace cherries / grapes / cubes of cheese etc.

Cheese fondue

Some cocktails - here

Coquille St Jacques

Crepes Suzettes

Vol-au-vents to nibble with cocktails

Pears in Red Wine (Belle Helene)

 

Sorry Chris, that's all I can think of at this late hour (I'm in France atm!)

Hope the evening goes well. ok

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Fri 17-Aug-12
7:32 am
Avatar
seth
lincolnshire fens

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1381
Member Since:
Fri 10-Sep-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

paperman said:

Well many thanks for the suggestions. I think where I am at right now is:

 

Shrimp Cocktail in Avocado

 

I am really tempted to go with chicken in a basket, it has all the elements of crass that I am seeking, can I do something with it I wonder, maybe hide a quality surprise under the chicken and chips ? Or even make mini chicken kievs. TA I could not go with the Steak Diane, I am not too sure I even knew what that was in the 60's I obviously was waiting for a posh girl like you to come along!!!

 

Then for sweet course I might go for my much loved Rum Baba except use Lemoncello

 

Maybe have a small cheese platter, nothing foreign just cheddar and stilton and melba toast (I can't make biscuits!).

 

Then Nescafe !!! Ugh !!!!

 

For wine I think Mateus is obligatory, any ideas about a pre-meal drink ? Maybe some punch or similar....

 

This is great fun, I will probably change my mind tomorrow about the menu but many, many thanks for your suggestions, keep at it. The memories keep flooding in.

 

Oh and of course there is another problem, that is clothing which also has to be 1960's - I may well have some of that still in my wardrobe!!!

Schooner of sherry , melon boat with cherries , Irish coffee with an after 8 mint  , as per Berni Inns .

Or the pre-marital saturday up to 10pints and a chinese !

Seed catalogues are responsible for more unfulfilled fantasies than the web and playboy combined . (after Michael Perry)

Fri 17-Aug-12
7:46 am
Avatar
seth
lincolnshire fens

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1381
Member Since:
Fri 10-Sep-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

seth said:

paperman said:

Well many thanks for the suggestions. I think where I am at right now is:

 

Shrimp Cocktail in Avocado

 

I am really tempted to go with chicken in a basket, it has all the elements of crass that I am seeking, can I do something with it I wonder, maybe hide a quality surprise under the chicken and chips ? Or even make mini chicken kievs. TA I could not go with the Steak Diane, I am not too sure I even knew what that was in the 60's I obviously was waiting for a posh girl like you to come along!!!

 

Then for sweet course I might go for my much loved Rum Baba except use Lemoncello

 

Maybe have a small cheese platter, nothing foreign just cheddar and stilton and melba toast (I can't make biscuits!).

 

Then Nescafe !!! Ugh !!!!

 

For wine I think Mateus is obligatory, any ideas about a pre-meal drink ? Maybe some punch or similar....

 

This is great fun, I will probably change my mind tomorrow about the menu but many, many thanks for your suggestions, keep at it. The memories keep flooding in.

 

Oh and of course there is another problem, that is clothing which also has to be 1960's - I may well have some of that still in my wardrobe!!!

Schooner of sherry , melon boat with cherries , Irish coffee with an after 8 mint  , as per Berni Inns .

Or the pre-marital saturday up to 10pints and a chinese !

        Brandy &Babycham for the ladies (just Babycham if they were buying their own !)

Seed catalogues are responsible for more unfulfilled fantasies than the web and playboy combined . (after Michael Perry)

Fri 17-Aug-12
8:08 am
Avatar
Original Redhead
Bulgaria

Knowledegable
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 432
Member Since:
Mon 21-Mar-11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Chicken in a basket .................. but rabbit.  unexpected twist.

Failing is not a fault, refusing to try is

Fri 17-Aug-12
8:16 am
Avatar
Gottaknit
South Lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 561
Member Since:
Tue 9-Nov-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Popular drink for the ladies was Dubonnet & Lemonade.

Last Berni meal I had was in Plymouth in the 70's - I struck unlucky, and have never met such a resilient piece of beef. Should have turned the other way and had the half a duck.

wave

Fri 17-Aug-12
9:12 am
Avatar
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1321
Member Since:
Tue 20-Apr-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Fantastic, many thanks. Luv the idea of babycham (can you still get it I wonder?) would have to see if I can get hold of some of those glasses for it, with a cherry in it of course.

Elsa, how did you know about the hot pants ? Thank goodness you haven't told anyone !!

Off up to Cambridge for the day today but look forward to any more ideas.

Val, that list is impressive, but I have to remember how I was in the 60's I remember well going to a local cafe from work for lunch when I was about 20 years old and had Hungarian Goulash (a la Blackfriars) and complained that there were leaves in it (obviously bay leaves but I didn't know such things at the time) and the waitress fell about the floor laughing, I was humiliated and I didn't know what she was laughing at. I also remember taking some Brie back to a shop and complaining that it had a funny mould all over it, embarrassing or what but it was a small world on the streets of South London where I grew up and one of the guests for this meal is going to be a friend of mine from back then who until 18 months ago I had not seen since we were both 19 or 20 years old which is close on 50 years ago ( it turned out when I moved to Suffolk he lived just down the road in Wickham Market, virtually a next door neighbour), one of the ladies also goes back to those halcyon days in South London and I want to provoke some old memories if I can.

I have reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me...

Fri 17-Aug-12
10:00 am
Avatar
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533
Member Since:
Wed 30-Dec-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It's amazing, Chris, just by listing these foods brings back the memories!!

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Fri 17-Aug-12
10:19 am
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

paperman said:

...one of the ladies also goes back to those halcyon days in South London and I want to provoke some old memories if I can.

Let her borrow your hot pants....big_laughbig_laugh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Fri 17-Aug-12
10:21 am
Avatar
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1321
Member Since:
Tue 20-Apr-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Days were, Elsa.

I have reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me...

Fri 17-Aug-12
8:21 pm
Avatar
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800
Member Since:
Mon 21-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Memories of the 60's? Pinching peas from my grandads allotment and him saying "begorra." Dropping the bench on a teacher's toe - think that's about it but then again I was only 5 when it finished. whistle

Fri 17-Aug-12
8:43 pm
Avatar
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
Member Since:
Mon 7-Jun-10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A mere child...Joanna...

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Sun 19-Aug-12
11:37 pm
Avatar
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
Member Since:
Tue 22-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

One of my friend's Mum used to make home-made chicken Kiev as her " party piece'. She served it at his 18th Birthday party, which would have been in January 1971, it was one of her poshest recipes, she may well have been making them in the 60s.

My favourite 1960s 'posh meal out' was Prawn Cocktail followed by Chicken Maryland.I think Ice Cream was usually 'pudding'.

Melba toast- pate and Melba toast. Not had Melba toast in decades.

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Mon 20-Aug-12
9:47 am
Avatar
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
Member Since:
Thu 24-Sep-09
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

wave  Oh dear, I am getting worse!!!!  embarassed   When I talked about Chicken Kiev earlier in this thread and said it was served with sweetcorn etc, I now realise from Kate's post that it was Chicken Maryland I was talking about .  I use to have it with banana fritters too.  I could not understand why it was not available in the 60's!!!!!  ( The fact that I was talking about the wrong dish entirely may have something to do with it!!  )   

I'll get my coat shall I?  big_laugh     runaway

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
21 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16212

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2324

Posts: 123117

Newest Members:

FrankDum, JoseBattaglia, crystaivf, ElenofulA, Rickyfrere, Williamkep

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516


Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder