stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
1960's Dinner
Mon 20-Aug-12
10:01 am
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Although I was nothing but a wee nipper in the 60s, the meals I remember are chicken maryland, I loved the banana fritters with it. The other things I remember were things like Angel delight...butterscotch flavour was always my favourite, blancmange (yeuk), heinz tinned sponge puddings and soya mince...this could have all been early 70s rather than 60s. Looks like Chris has the meal cracked anyway. Good luck

Mon 20-Aug-12
10:55 am
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1321

Danuta, you are not alone !!  Although Wikipedia says that C. Kiev was first introduced to UK in 1976 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Kiev), it was only when I looked at the recipe I realised I was confusing C. Kiev with C. Cordon Bleu anyway, not that that makes any difference to the date quoted. Incidentally, I have just bought 6 Babycham Glasses of 1960's vintage for a whole £5.00 so things are progressing. Pre dinner drinks will be Babycham and there will be Mateus Rose and Blue Nun table wine. It will be obligatory for the guests to sample at least 1 glass of each or they will be doing the washing up.

I have been thinking a little more about the cheese course, obviously Cheddar & Stilton, I did say originally nothing foreign but I think some Dutch Edam would be OK.

So a slight revision of the menu brings:-

Starter: Prawn and Avocado Cocktail

Main: Hungarian Goulash

Sweet:  Rum Baba but using Lemoncello so it will actually be Lemoncello Baba

Cheese: Cheddar, Stilton, Edam

Coffee & Mints: Nescafe & After Eight Mints (invented by Rowntrees 1962)

But I have a couple of weeks to refine it further....

I have reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me...

Mon 20-Aug-12
11:00 am
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

paperman said:

Pre dinner drinks will be Babycham and there will be Mateus Rose and Blue Nun table wine. It will be obligatory for the guests to sample at least 1 glass of each or they will be doing the washing up.

Just keep practicing on the refining of the above and I'm sure the meal will be fine.  I'd also make sure that some of the guests didn't have the obligatory glass of each wine to make sure that they did the washing up.

kisskiss

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Mon 27-Aug-12
10:56 am
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members

Just to update. The 1960's Dinner Party is Wednesday evening. Menu as above. Have seen a recipe for Hungarian Noodles on a YouTube video for the Goulash but will probably go for mashed potato. Thanks for all the suggestions, let you know how it goes.

I have reached an age where my train of thought often leaves the station without me...

Thu 30-Aug-12
11:15 am
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members

Final update. Had Supper Party last night, great fun.

We discovered that we actually liked the Babycham and it did look nice in the vintage Babycham glasses I had got on eBay !!

I made Spätzle to go with the Goulash (it may have qualified as nokedli or galuska) but actually it had the appearance of thin spaghetti which is how the commercial Spätzle looks - either way I had added Paprika to the eggs when I was making the dough for it and it worked well.

I had had a fight the night before, getting the Baba's out of their tins, I had buttered the tins first but it was a very much heart mouth job however they did hold together well and looked the business. Using Lemoncello instead of Rum worked well, I had soaked some dried fruit in it beforehand and added them to the dough and used the soaking liquid together with some additions to soak the Babas. I filled the hole in the Babas with double cream which I had whipped to a near solid state and had grated some lemon zest into it. Not exactly a low cal course !!

For the cheese course we ended up with Dairy Lea triangles instead of the Stilton which was a laugh and ended with Coffee ( I relented about the Nescafe! and made proper coffee ) and After Eights.

It was good fun and thanks for the suggestions etc. beforehand. Oh and Elsa there were no Hotpants, sadly !!

Sat 1-Sep-12
11:33 am
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

sounds like a good night, glad it went well

Sat 1-Sep-12
7:09 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829

Hot Pants are 70s,surely?

They will have to wait for your 70s dinner....

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Sat 1-Sep-12
7:30 pm
paperman
Saxmundham, Suffolk

Councillor
Members

New members

It was Elsa's idea. Whatever era, apparently they first appeared, as far as I can see on wilkepedia in 1970.

The next evening is going to be a Portuguese evening.

Thu 6-Sep-12
10:51 am
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 642

my horrible memory of 60s food was boiled white fish on a friday, utterley tasteless , with boiled potatoes plus the house stank all weekend...the Catholic church had a lot to answer for

Fri 7-Dec-12
11:18 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks, Chris.

Most of the way through I was talking at my laptop "Chicken Maryland . . why is nobody mentioning Chicken Maryland?"

I suppose I was not aware of popular dishes until the mid 70s but most all that were mentioned in the thread were certainly still around and popular in 1975.

Babycham reminded me of the TV commercial for Double Diamond beer. Now I can't get the jingle out of my head

Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders

Double diamond works wonders so have some today

Never knowingly underfed

Fri 7-Dec-12
11:22 am
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

Right, that's it, now it's stuck in our minds too. big_laugh

Thanks, Danny! doh

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Fri 7-Dec-12
12:28 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Yeah, thanks Danny, actually, one stuck in my head is a song that was sung by all the teachers at a school fair last week, they each sang a bit of it solo and joined in on the chorus, you could tell how nervous some of them were, but I think it made it even more special, especially when you consider the lyrics. Another one to stick in your head for days...Lean on me.....I've started singing it again...not a nice sound I promise you.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
38 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16218

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2328

Newest Members:

rodeoneerer, Sinanrienks, Emerson2209, Raymond23acall, Dallas1Clede, kellymeemi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder