stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2012
Mon 2-Jan-12
5:18 pm
Hattie
Bucks/Oxon Border

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6920
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

paperman said:

Well done Aly, after I did that I cut them up and threw them away and now only use my debit card, so, if I don't have the dosh I don't buy it or do it or whatever. It means I am a lot more responsible about what I do buy and do and probably to some maybe more boring but also I feel 'safer' somehow not being in hoc.

I did exactly the same thing Chris & feel the same way about being 'safer'. 

Well done too, Aly, I hated owing money but when I was working so many arts organisations didn't pay me my money for months after the works opened, even some of the ones funded by the Arts Council with our taxes.....it used to make me so mad.

"The beautiful is as useful as the useful...perhaps more so."

from Les Miserables

Mon 2-Jan-12
6:18 pm
maggenpie
Cornwall, UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 902

Decorations down, dusted and stored away. ok

Started on my "Eat our way through the cupboards" project. Easy at the moment but I sense some odd meals lurking on the horizon. big_laugh

Credit cards are fine if you use them to your advantage. Mine pays me interest, I check the amount weekly and make sure that the money is in the bank account, and pay in full as soon as the bill arrives. In other words, the credit company pays me to use their card, not the other way round. As a little bonus the money sitting in the bank waiting to pay the bill gains a few pennies as well. smile

Never assume anything - except an occasional air of intelligence.

Mon 2-Jan-12
6:41 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337

Like Ruthie, I use a credit card that gives me money back in January it seems silly not to. I have always paid off the total balance every month and always know how much I owe before I buy anything else.

I'll try that again!

Mon 2-Jan-12
7:26 pm
kayerunrig
lincolnshire

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 642

credit cards i go cold at the mention....i have a huge balance on one i used to bridge the gap between doing the work and actually getting paid, then that company folded and was open the next day with the same people in the same office with the same name just UK tacked on to it....at that point i was advised to declare bankrupt but I didnt and will probably be paying it till i die...lol..they cant do a lot i earn next to nothing, have no assets, so made them a derisory offer that they have no choice but to accept 

In the event that my dads house sale ever gets sorted i may clear enough to get rid of this , thats all i owe to anyone. but paying the rent is still a nightmare every month 

Mon 2-Jan-12
7:45 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

I acquired mine when a sales rep as it was needed to manage an expense account. Lots of hotels and flights etc. Since retiring I have used it for large purchases because of the protection it gives you but haven't always paid it in full as my pension is very small. I always pay way more than the minimum and never let it go above £500 even though the limit is £10,000 because I hate debt. I have discovered there is very little I really cannot do without but it does take an iron will when I am feeling down. Retail therapy has always helped big_laugh

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Mon 2-Jan-12
9:42 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

Same as Ruth, decided to get the christmas decorations put away, rather than leave it till the last minute and nearly forget.

Also going to attempt to eat our way through the freezer and get it properly cleared out.

As for the rest of the day, went for walk with Judith and her dogs this morning, I'm going to be dog walking them next week while she is away in India. Came home then went out with Mike and our dog for another very long walk as the weather was glorious and not forecast to last.

Tue 3-Jan-12
7:06 am
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

Yesterday I decided that today was the day to clean the big central heating wood burner pipes. so lit the little wood burner to provide some heat to the house before the sun came up.  Seven o'clock this morning, removed said pipes, thoroughly cleaned the wood burner, cleaned said pipes and all back in place by eight this morning. Jobsaguddun.

Fire ready laid for when the sun goes down, just need to put a match to it.

That sun really does provide free heat....whistlewhistle

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Tue 3-Jan-12
7:24 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

kayerunrig said:

In the event that my dads house sale ever gets sorted i may clear enough to get rid of this

Don't forget that they would very likely accept a settlement, Kaye, if you have a lump of cash in your paw at the time. A close friend negotiated a £13k debt down to £7.5k just by making a phone call. Similar situation to yours - had previously been making a derisory monthly payment

Never knowingly underfed

Tue 3-Jan-12
6:16 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

The Liquineer said:

In answer to the question on Achievements 2011 I just need to scrub some of the grout off the surface- left it a bit to long before wiping off, then I will post a picture (of the mosaic!)

Thank you for solving the conundrum and I look forward to the picture cheers

Tue 3-Jan-12
6:33 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294

Just started some pumpkin soup, as the last of the huge pumpkins had started to go moldy/mouldy. I will start drying the rest tomorrow. I managed to get a repairman on the phone, and make an appointment for him to look at the machine tomorrow. And builder phoned, and will do the indoor jobs on Thursday.

I also got through to the surgery (major achievement) and changed an appointment from Thursday morning to tomorrow. So, pneumonia immunization tomorrow, hands to be x-rayed on Thursday to try to track down the source of pain. Getting the referral for the x-ray the first time I mentioned the pain was a surprise.

Tue 3-Jan-12
6:33 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave Lighting candles, blowing out candles, lighting candles, blowing out candles, .........

big_laugh

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Tue 3-Jan-12
7:12 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Ooh Barbara, I'm having the pneumonia jab too, on Thursday morning (must have had your appointment big_laugh) - along with yet more blood tests....my arms will be bloodless at this rate ponder

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 3-Jan-12
7:14 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

danast said:

wave Lighting candles, blowing out candles, lighting candles, blowing out candles, .........

big_laugh

Danuta, you sound like us.....we have candles in every room, along with 2 or 3 torches scattered about.  Just have to remember where they are, when the lights go off big_laugh

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 3-Jan-12
7:28 pm
elrohana
North West Leeds, UK

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 275

Today: got up at 7.30 (boy, that hurt after 2 weeks of late nights and lie-ins), made coffee and OH's sarnies for lunch, then fed the beasties and drove the OH to work.  Came home to find the back garden fence attempting a Mary Poppins, so neighbour and I shored it up a bit.  Walked the dog.  Went to the gym, did 40 mins in the gym (treadmill and weights) and then 48 lengths in the pool (which is 0.4 of a mile).  Drove car to garage and sat waiting for over an hour while they tried to find the problem with one of the tyres.  They failed.  Drove home mildly frustrated, grabbed a quick sandwich and took the dog for another walk.  Fed the beasties, cleaned out cat litter boxes, tidied up a tad, went and picked OH up from work, cooked dinner (omelette) and set up coffee machine for tomorrow morning.  Now sitting here feeling like I should be doing something, but too tired to be bothered. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Tue 3-Jan-12
9:15 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

you deserve a medal welldone

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
37 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10532

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6698

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Xahha: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 15881

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

Hukkow, Kyle Edwards, Mrs_ff, Garcerir, Artur77

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder