stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2013
Wed 2-Jan-13
7:47 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Planted some bulbs and dug up some carrots, would have done more in the garden but it was hissing down after that.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Thu 3-Jan-13
6:12 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

Gardening? Mine is just reappearing for a brief while, while the foot of snow melts! eeek

Today I cleaned more kitchen cupboards. Don't know what it is about me and January, but it is the same most years. No time in Spring! I also got a load of washing done, picked up some fabric from my fabric stash at our other apartment (had to risk life and limb to get there - well not quite but it is a bit slick and it is a good job I have some Yaktrax, otherwise I wouldn't even venture out with my reputation for landing on my posterior), also could two dozen buns, four loaves of bread, and a stack of biscuits - that should keep hubby going for a few daysroll_eyes

Thu 3-Jan-13
8:19 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Getting in the fix it mode now- taken post box off fence and repaired the opening flap- the posties kept forcing it out of its hinge, so made a better hinge mechanism, fixed the lights in the cooker hood, found the right halogen bulb for the kitchen spotlight assembly and took apart the garden bench/table combo.

The last one is a regular item, as after a year or so the water gets in to the wood and can start to rot it. Last time I replaced all the frame timbers with sturdier pieces, and revarnished the tops of the seats and the table slats. Unfortunately the area around the screw holes in the slats started to let water in and the varnish is coming off again. That was quite a marathon dismantling session today, just to get the slats off- the wood was so wet, the screws would not release from the wood- some eventually came out, but others I had to lever out. The solution is not to have screws on the top surface I think, so when dry I will fill the old screw holes, screw them to battens from the underside, and attach the battens to the frames, which will mean they are sheltered from most of the rain- will probably take a week or so the acheive, but should help prolong the life of it I think. It was a cheap item from B&Q once upon a time, I don't think there is anything remaining of the original now! big_laugh

Thu 3-Jan-13
8:51 pm
elrohana
North West Leeds, UK

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 275

JoannaS said:

New job Elrohana? I have probably missed something. I remember something about you getting a job, but didn't know it only started tomorrow or is this a different job? 

The last one was back in March, that was a temp contract, I started a new permanent job this week 🙂

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Thu 3-Jan-13
10:55 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

...... and how's it going, Lyn?

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Fri 4-Jan-13
3:52 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Took the trailer down to the dump to recycle the pre christmas junk gathered, carried on with the garden bench/table clean up- got some stain on a couple of pieces, and started to clean up some other bits- still a bit of damp in the wood, so will probably be a few days before filling holes and re-staining.

Fri 4-Jan-13
9:10 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

Made some Pear and Vanilla butter today from some cheap pears i got a couple of days ago, had a visit from a lovely friend from Scotland (elgin) who was on his was down to Northampton and then got a lunch invite which involved champagne...so of course I had to say yes.

Finished first draft of my tax return this evening, looks decent, and as usual, they owe me, so even better.

Sat 5-Jan-13
2:04 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Have put three loads of washing on the line! smilesmilesmile No sun, fleeting minimal glimpses of blue but who cares IT'S NOT RAINING and the breeze is blowing the laundry nicely. House hoovered from top to bottom, bathroom cleaned, all tiled floors washed, bed linen changed.  Now to go out and help hubby load up the trailer with wood he has cut ready to put in the wood shed.  embarassed

Sat 5-Jan-13
2:21 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

First fix wiring for stairs now in. This is the most complicated due to two way switching but clever OH has it sussed!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sat 5-Jan-13
3:21 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Apart from the weekly shopping, carried on preparing the outside bench.table for restaining.

Sat 5-Jan-13
5:29 pm
elrohana
North West Leeds, UK

Knowledegable
Members
Forum Posts: 275

brightspark said:

...... and how's it going, Lyn?

Great so far, thanks.  It's a small company and of the other 9 people who work there, I've worked with 4 before, and all the others are friends or relatives of those 4, so it's very friendly and jolly and relaxed.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Sat 5-Jan-13
6:35 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

That sounds really good - just what you needed! ok    big_hug

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sun 6-Jan-13
7:11 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

That does sound good indeed Lyn.

Thanks for the Christmas card Val. It arrived Friday I think, but only found it in the post box on Saturday. Better late than never cheers

Today I helped hubby unload a trailer load of damp wood into the wood store, loaded a dry load into the trailer and then unloaded it into the cellar. Manage all that without slipping on any ice and so very happy with myself.

This evening we had friends round for an evening meal and we had WILD BOAR! It tasted so good! Our friend's appreciated it too as they are plagued with the beasts, but no useful hunters where they are. cheers

Sun 6-Jan-13
8:20 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

Had a small amount of roast chicken for dinner. Having been veggie for nearly 30 years I have given up. It is so difficult living here and is proving expensive cooking different meals. I feel a bit sick but that is to be expected. I will have to go slowly if this is going to work. I already only buy meat that has been reared in a way I find acceptable, outdoors, not force fed etc.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 6-Jan-13
9:53 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Better watch the weight then Aly, much more concentrated protein there in meat! My daughter had to re-start eating chicken after second child was born, on doctors advice and weight went on rapidly.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
24 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16196

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2310

Newest Members:

rob, shoponbd66, smokingdonkey, Daraa900, mikecole, Aliston

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder