stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2013
Sun 6-Jan-13
9:57 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Not much achieved today, still trying to clean up and re-seal my garden bench/table- non of the supposedly quick drying stain dried yesterday- it was still wet this morning- moved it in to garage as is much to cold and damp to work outside. Decided I need to get a new mechanical sander- this hand sanding is doing my arm in - used to have one but it seized up during the leaky garage roof period recently- so will be looking for one tomorrow.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Sun 6-Jan-13
11:27 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

This year I've decided to have another go at cooking a new recipe every week. Today was number 2: fish with a spicy breadcrumb topping. I got several recipe books for Christmas which I'll be mining for inspiration.

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Mon 7-Jan-13
2:23 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

Lidl have an halogen cooker on offer this week…just thought you might like to know….

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Mon 7-Jan-13
3:53 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Managed to pick up a reasonabel priced belt sander in Wickes today, already sanded down to bare wood, 11 slats with it. I just have some edge sanding on them to do, and then can move on to filling and restaining/preserving, and then re-assembley.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Mon 7-Jan-13
6:28 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

My achievement of the day (week month and year so far) is getting my blinking password re-set and logging back in here after far far far too long.

It may have something to do with essay writing procrastination, and a little to do with the sad sad news.

I think it's mostly to do with feeling like something was missing though, only just realising what it was (I can be very slow at times you know).

Now, do I catch up on everything else in here, or try and write this demmed essay? 5000 words about the status of non-state actors in International law seem relatively unlikely to assembly themselves in the word doc I'm optimistically created and titled, so I suppose I ought to really to give them a hand…

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Mon 7-Jan-13
6:46 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

I have been thinking about you Rae Mond and wondering how you were getting on. Your title sounds interesting, but I guess being steeped in academic literature myself it would. Also sounds interesting from the point of view of the many stateless folk here in Latvia, a legacy of the Soviet era. Anyway good to see you around again.

Mon 7-Jan-13
7:26 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

Welcome back Rae Mond - and I don't mind if you write back to me on Ravelry ...... whistle

laugh   big_hug

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Mon 7-Jan-13
7:48 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

brightspark said:

Welcome back Rae Mond – and I don't mind if you write back to me on Ravelry …… whistle

laugh   big_hug

:ashamed face: did I not?

I have a feeling I read your last message and then deliberately left it marked as unread to remind me to get back to you, but must have somehow un-marked it… doh

I am a terrible correspondent sorry

in karmic retribution I've just realised that a large proportion of the words I had painstakingly wrangled into place for this dratted assignment were actually rubbish. I thought I was in with a chance of finishing this thing by wednesday, but I fear I was over optimistic cry

Mon 7-Jan-13
9:07 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

Welcome Back Rae, rather you than me with the paper.

Not done a great deal today, no chutneying or anything, but I did file my tax return on line, got loads of clearing out done and we are about 2/3s of the way through pruning our apple trees.

Start back on the usual routine from tomorrow - gardening jobs to do, however, it looks like the weather is going to take a colder turn by the weekend, have been offered some p/t office work just ad hoc, nothing regular and no long term commitment required so might take them up on it while the weather is so poor.

Not sure if I mentioned the chance of a trip to Dubai...if I didn't then ignore me, if I did, well it's not happening after all, so ignore me.smile

Mon 7-Jan-13
9:16 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Hello Rae, welcome back, good luck with your essay! Funny thing, loads of us can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but when it comes to doing it in writing for a serious reason.....whole different ball game! ponder

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 8-Jan-13
7:32 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

No fond memories of essay writing! Hope you manage to get it done Rae Mond.
Finally signed up for proper French lessons. OH too, we start Thursday.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 8-Jan-13
8:38 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Oooh la la! big_laugh  (Exactly how long have you lived in France, Aly?)

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 8-Jan-13
9:36 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

3 years as permanent resident but bought the house nearly 6 years ago. We both speak quiet a lot of French but need to polish it up to feel part of the community. I can chat to shop keepers on a very low level but want to do better.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 8-Jan-13
1:52 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

go you!

I really ought to start learning Dutch - I've picked up enough to get through basic transactions in the nearly 2 years we've been here, but Dutch people as a general rule speak brilliant English so it's very easy not to try.

TBH though I'd be much more motivated to learn French again. I used to be pretty good, not fluent but a high conversational standard, and I've not used it for so long that I can barely remember how to form different tenses now 🙁

Of the two (french and dutch) French would be much more useful for my (hopefuly) future career.

Bon chance!

Tue 8-Jan-13
3:52 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

I think Rae, that French would be more useful to most people.

As you say, whenever you try Dutch in shops, etc, they know immediately that you're not Dutch and respond in English!!!

How are you enjoying being in Holland, and Sam, is he enjoying his job?

What about the poosje (sorry, forgotten poosje's name ... doh), only a kleintje just a short while ago?

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16196

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2310

Newest Members:

rob, shoponbd66, smokingdonkey, Daraa900, mikecole, Aliston

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder