stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2013
Wed 9-Jan-13
7:20 am
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I use tablespoons 1oz flour is a heaped spoon, 1oz sugar is a rounded spoon and 1oz fat is a flat spoon. I also have measuring cups and an old fashioned balancecheers

Right must get on and finish on here, I have seeds to sortcheers

Wed 9-Jan-13
8:22 am
maggenpie
Cornwall, UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 902

wave Rae! Nice to see you and read about what you've been up to. smile

I use balance scales with both sorts of weights, and cups, and guesswork - and when I'm making up recipes I often use all four. big_laugh

Never assume anything - except an occasional air of intelligence.

Wed 9-Jan-13
8:37 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Just shows the old ways are often the best and we rely too much on technology!  But I do like my electronic scales.....must get a replacement battery (or 3!) this afternoon when in town.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Wed 9-Jan-13
3:45 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Been baking today- a 2lb loaf and an attempt at making tiger bread. The loaf looks Ok, tiger bread not so good.

Followed a recipe off the web for the crust coating which uses rice flour, sesame oil, yeast and water to make a thick paste brushed on to the dough in a thick layer- I should have tried to stagger the two breads, but made a bigger batch of dough and split it one third for the tiger bread and two thirds for the loaf.

The tiger bread once coated did not want to rise in the same way as the loaf, and needed extra heat- they both needed different cooking regimes, which meant there was a clash of timing. So there is a tigerish loaf appearance, but not the characteristic aroma from bakery shop bought ones. Both breads are cooling so will see what the taste is like later.

Anyone tried to make tiger bread themselves? Would like some advice if you have.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Wed 9-Jan-13
5:24 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

Hi Martin - I love making bread, but I haven't ventured into Tiger Bread, mainly because I tend to prefer wholemeal bread, but I found this website and the result does look good, if a little overcooked!

There are two recipes on this page, and the Tiger bread is the second one, after the cheesy rice cakes!

ok

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Wed 9-Jan-13
10:44 pm
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

I would have hazzarded a guess that tiger bread was some sort of watered down marmite mixture, I'm obviously wrong.

Just made some broccoli & stilton soup for lunch tomorrow...not sure if I said, but I'm doing a bit of office work again at the moment for a friend, done today and am there tomorrow, then back to gardening on Friday and my first fair (small table top sale) of the year on Saturday.

Wed 9-Jan-13
11:50 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Jan, you make me feel quite dizzy! big_laugh

brightsparklystuff

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Thu 10-Jan-13
9:38 am
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Decided to have a go at the tiger bread again, this time dedicate the time to just one bread- then no timing clashes- it should work if all the online recipes are correct.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Thu 10-Jan-13
5:00 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

Not done a lot today, just mosied around. Finished off an article for work, did a little reading, and wasted time on the computer. It snowed all day, is that a good enough excuse? smug

Thu 10-Jan-13
5:09 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

Survived my first proper French lesson and didn't feel like the dumbest in the class. A class of 12, a good number to share the answering up!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Thu 10-Jan-13
6:34 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

I applied for a new job, well a transfer within the company I work for currently. It's a completley new project, very small team, and a very different line of of business. I'm not 100% sure it'll be a vast improvement on the bits of my current roll that I don't like, but I hear it pays more (a whole extra euro an hour...milky bars are one me!) but I've been getting quite fed up and fancy a change. Also, they're quite desperate for people apparently, so it seems a strong chance they'll at least want to interview me for it.

I've made naff all progress on this blasted abomination of essay though. It's being quite stressful, and I have a thumping headache 🙁 I might abandon the hope of submitting tomorrow and aim for getting two done by the 15th of feb instead. Then I can bunk off and have a soak in the bath instead. Maybe even treat myself to a tiny little biertje... though that won't help me lose the unnecessary 150 kilos I'm currently lugging around :le sigh:

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Thu 10-Jan-13
7:04 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

Rae Mond said:

though that won't help me lose the unnecessary 150 kilos I'm currently lugging around :le sigh:

Don't believe you mean that Rae...eeekeeek  I'd get some new scales....runawayrunaway

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Thu 10-Jan-13
8:33 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Rae Mond said:

Also, they're quite desperate for people apparently, so it seems a strong chance they'll at least want to interview me for it.

They don't need to be desperate, Rae - they need you, and they would be fools not to take you on!

Best of luck with it! cheers to the kleintje .

We're behind you here ...... ok

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Fri 11-Jan-13
3:32 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

ep said:

Rae Mond said:

though that won't help me lose the unnecessary 150 kilos I'm currently lugging around :le sigh:

Don't believe you mean that Rae...eeekeeek  I'd get some new scales....runawayrunaway

dohembarassed Not 150. 150 would be like carying nearly two more of myself around all the time . I'd probably die if I was that fat.big_laugh

Just 15.

and I was good and didn't have any beer in the bath. And I'm going to the gym this evening. And I just tided my crafting room, which was quite a physical undertaking.

Fri 11-Jan-13
3:34 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members

brightspark said:

Rae Mond said:

Also, they're quite desperate for people apparently, so it seems a strong chance they'll at least want to interview me for it.

They don't need to be desperate, Rae - they need you, and they would be fools not to take you on!

Best of luck with it! cheers to the kleintje .

We're behind you here ...... ok

big_hug You're lovely you are.

My team leader has put in many glowing words for me, so that probably bodes well, but I've not heard anything yet. I shall keep y'all posted.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16218

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2328

Newest Members:

rodeoneerer, Sinanrienks, Emerson2209, Raymond23acall, Dallas1Clede, kellymeemi

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder