stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements For The Day 2013
Sun 20-Jan-13
2:03 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
121sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now look here MOS if you keep hamming it up we're going to be inundated at this year's event...it should be our well kept secret with no cameras allowed.....

Danuta and several others have expressed an interest.....now keep it zipped fella....eeekeeek    or I might have to move.....big_laughbig_laugh

• oS....

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Sun 20-Jan-13
5:22 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1636
122sp_Permalink sp_Print

You move eeek

They couldent get you out of there with a crowbar and a tow truck .

As for the madding crowds i dont think they could stand the pace big_laugh .they are only used to the gentle meanderings of a country cottage gathering .the Heat the booze and the wild going's on would wear them out by lunch time doh

let alone the Elsa peters invetation high board diving and extreme crochet chalenge kiss

xx

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Sun 20-Jan-13
6:01 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
123sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Oh I just love it when you two get together!!  big_laugh

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 20-Jan-13
6:15 pm
SumpRat
Reading

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1034

Aly said:

Surviving another winter is my biggest achievement. Assuming I do big_laugh

I'm sure you'll cope. The ONLY heating in my house is a single oil filled radiator in the sitting room and only half of it works. doh

Saying that it is  a balmy 17 degrees C. in here, assuming the thermometer is right. ok

A well fed rat is a HappyRat    A smile a day keeps the psychiatrist away.

Mon 21-Jan-13
1:42 pm
maggenpie
Cornwall, UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 902
125sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I've finally made a start of turning out a room that has housed too much junk for too long. The plan is to empty it, lay vinyl flooring, buy a bed and turn it into an actual guest room that I can still use for storage and craft work. I've got three weeks to do it before my next visitors arrive, so now I have a goal to work towards.

I managed to walk my new little dog, Ruby, far enough to send her to sleep while I did some shopping this morning. I half expected to come home to find my food cupboards emptied across the floor, but no, she was still curled up in my chair. She's been living out in kennels so she has no house manners yet. dog

Never assume anything - except an occasional air of intelligence.

Tue 22-Jan-13
2:04 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424
126sp_Permalink sp_Print

not a good day today, managed to slice the top of my finger drying the blade for the food processor, it was a deep cut on the top of my right index finger that needed steristrips, great fun trying to put steristrips on a cut that would not stop bleeding on your right index finger when you are right handed, such is lifefrown  Still i do have 5 trays of onions drying and it was much better than chopping by hand.smile

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Tue 22-Jan-13
2:12 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
127sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've become a Great Aunt again- a girl this time- not my achievement, but my niece's! Baby arrived early on the very first day of her Maternity leave.

I've nearly shifted the post-christmas ironing mountain. Grey cold boringly dull icy and misty days are useful for something...

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Tue 22-Jan-13
2:32 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
128sp_Permalink sp_Print

eileen54 said:

Still i do have 5 trays of onions drying and it was much better than chopping by hand.smile

Maybe chopping 'by hand'instead of chopping 'a hand' would have been the better option.....and I know only too well the joys of trying to organise the left now that my right one is plastered.crycry

You obviously weren't being supervised in this world of H&S....who can you sue?....ponderponder

Tue 22-Jan-13
2:38 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
129sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just took delivery of a Sainsbury's online shop. Brilliant! Refrigerated and frozen stuff so now have a freezer full of meat, fish and ham as well as dairy stuff. No loss on exchange rate as paid from my English bank that my pension goes into. Saved £34 on the shop. This will now be a monthly occurrence. OH is very happy to have Muller corner yogurts again instead of the little French ones we have been buying.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 22-Jan-13
2:47 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337
130sp_Permalink sp_Print

How does that work Aly, are there Sainsbury shops in France or is it despatched from England?

I'll try that again!

Tue 22-Jan-13
3:19 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
131sp_Permalink sp_Print

An expat has set up a company, you do your shopping as normal but have it delivered to his depot in Poole. He has a small lorry that has chilled and frozen compartments and is certified here to carry frozen and chilled foodstuffs. I can now take advantage of special offers and buy many things that are not available here or are very expensive. Most supermarkets have English shelves now but the prices are ridiculous. €2.43 for 6 oxo cubes! €1.20 for a litre of milk. This will make my money go much further.

Tue 22-Jan-13
3:28 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

ep said:

Maybe chopping 'by hand'instead of chopping 'a hand' would have been the better option…..and I know only too well the joys of trying to organise the left now that my right one is plastered.crycry

I try to practise all of the time with my left hand, as i have arthritis in both hands but it is worse in the right and often locks up, i expect that in the future it will give up all together and i will have to use the left all of the time

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Tue 22-Jan-13
4:22 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231
133sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a good idea for the Sainsbury shop- that is clever thinking.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Tue 22-Jan-13
4:45 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
134sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am really pleased to be able to have old favourites again. Cannot even get Philadelphia cheese here, full fat or light! No such thing as half fat anything!

Tue 22-Jan-13
5:50 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
135sp_Permalink sp_Print

Strange Ali....I can get it here but I usually go for the local alternative at half the price....wink

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
27 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16242

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2337

Newest Members:

Audreyjuite, ????? ????? ?????? ???????, hugehomel, Lierve, Ceesjutte, Dallas311Clede

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder