stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Achievements for the day
Thu 21-Oct-10
6:35 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2101sp_Permalink sp_Print

You certainly have an enormous amount of flowering plants Barbara.  My Rocket is in bloom too, but the Rosemary bushes are just putting up new shoots, no flowers as yet.  My Phlox has gone over but the two Rose bushes have a few straggling blooms as do the Californian Poppies, I noticed today.  Oh, and the Choysia has just started to flower!  There is also some Vinca struggling on and the Hellebores are just starting too.  It's amazing what I found there today.

I'll try that again!

Thu 21-Oct-10
7:54 pm
Heather E
Rubery, Worcestershire

Knowledegable
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 344
2102sp_Permalink sp_Print

BS - Thanks for sorting me out on the bread 'sponge' front.  I've printed off the recipe and a copy of your notes, and found a supplier for spelt flour, so if I can get it all together, I'll have a crack at making my own next week.  Your photos of loaves are great - really inspiring.

TA - can I hitch a ride on your broomstick to sample some of Danuta's soup.  Danuta - better make that 3 pots!

Latest achievements: 

- Pear Butter (my first attempt).  Good result, but a bit sweet for OH, which means all 2 posts (3.5 lb pears for 2 pots!) are all mine!  Thanks to Fiona for the recipe.

- First Pate de Fruits (chilli apple) - still setting in fridge and looking good.  Thanks to Shelley for recipe.

I'm liking the additions of butters and sweeties to my ever-expanding repertoire.  I'm really on a roll this week, but you know what they say Pride comes before .....  Day off from kitchen tomorrow - must tackle the garden; it looks as if the Triffids have taken over!

Just off to watch Nigella on TV.  Have not seen any of latest series and hope she is still on form.  I think I'm turning into a Nigella: keep opening the fridge and dipping into all those little pots of 'taster' jellies and jams that were left over from the recent boil-ups.  I never thought I would turn into a woman who stands in front of an open fridge with a teaspoon, salivating.roll_eyes

Gone crazy. Back soon.

Thu 21-Oct-10
9:13 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967
2103sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've just had my third Bulgarian lesson and all those words and verb tenses that I have got wrong have all just fallen into place and instead of dying with embarrasment I have a smile on my face and will promise to get it right next time.  I feel sorry for my builders....they are my guinea pigs at the moment but when I asked one of them what he was looking for in the garden and he answered me and I understood....I knew I had got the question right....big_laughbig_laugh

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Thu 21-Oct-10
11:13 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516
2104sp_Permalink sp_Print

Heather E said:

I never thought I would turn into a woman who stands in front of an open fridge with a teaspoon, salivating.roll_eyes

Heather, I knew we would drag you down to our level eventually

big_laughep said:

I've just had my third Bulgarian lesson and all those words and verb tenses that I have got wrong have all just fallen into place and instead of dying with embarrasment I have a smile on my face and will promise to get it right next time.  I feel sorry for my builders....they are my guinea pigs at the moment but when I asked one of them what he was looking for in the garden and he answered me and I understood....I knew I had got the question right....big_laughbig_laugh

Oh Elsa, I know exactly what you mean. Fiona once said that italians were able to understand my beginner Italiano better than most English people could understand my English!

Major congrats. That is a wonderful feeling! star star star magic rose

Never knowingly underfed

Fri 22-Oct-10
3:51 pm
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294
2105sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found another plant flowering, a low growing campanula on top of a wall. I spent 2 1/2 hours shredding in the garden, and got the rest of the evergreen trees shredded. I spread some of the shreddings, and have bags and pots ready to spread when I work out where...

And, the first part of the kitchen is being installed right now. ok It will be wonderful, it will be wonderful--will I believe it if I say it often enough?

One friend years ago said she found having work done in the house was much more bearable if she accepted it was a dreadful process. Trying to convince herself that it wasn't so bad because she wanted it done and the outcome would be good didn't work, and just wasted energy. It is pretty unpleasant, and having chosen to have it done doesn't make it any better. The outcome will be good, but till then it will be grim.

Fri 22-Oct-10
4:13 pm
typhoo
France - ex Ecosse

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 537
2106sp_Permalink sp_Print

Devon garden, it will get better.  We bought a property in France over 2 years ago, totally sound, but inside, well!!!!  I called it posh camping for over a year, walls had to come down, went to French lessons one morning, guys were going to put plasterboard on the "lounge" ceiling while we were away, when we came back the ceiling was down, couldn't be done.  In rural France they tend to use upstairs for grain for animals ???????, so years of grain was everywhere.  No kitchen at all, had 2 plastic chairs (our furniture was in storage) and a 20 euro BBQ we used for cooking, was March and freezing.  No heating. ................But, we got there and it is now lovely and well worth all the grief, don't know why, but I never cracked up once, and I'm tres impatient.  Ended up with asthma cos of all the rubble,dust,grain.  Wouldn't say I would do it again (getting on a bit), but soooo glad we did.  Am sitting writing this in front of a huge granite fieplace with an enormous logburner on, bliss.  Big breaths ok

Fri 22-Oct-10
8:00 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800
2107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I am back and it seems such a long time ago since I chatted with folks. Will take me ages to catch up I guess unless I find MOS's weekly updates. My son's wedding was lovely and we all enjoyed it a lot, we even got him into his new flat - well sort of! He will be able to sit down sometime soon I guess. The travel there and back by road from Latvia through Lithunania, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and France was epic but well worth it just to say we have done it. I shall post details of the trip back on the blog but still no photos as it was too tiring. We got to one hotel at 1:30am eeek I won't be on much again this next week though as you lot are far too addictive and I have an assignment due soon whistle.

Fri 22-Oct-10
9:47 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2108sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave  Lovely to have you back Joanna and so glad the wedding and the whole experience was such a success.  Looking forward to reading of your adventures on your blog. big_hug

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Fri 22-Oct-10
10:00 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
2109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome back Joanna- v. glad all went well.wave

Hello Typhoo, completely mis-read the last sentence of your posting.

Heather- here's the Pear mincement recipe-the quantities given make industrial amounts, so reduce to less as required! I always halve the sugar and suet, the alchohol keeps it preserved....

1.5 lbs pears- peeled,cored adn chopped

1lb currants

1lb Raisins

8oz dried apricots-chopped

12oz mixed peel

12oz grated suet

1lb soft brown sugar

1tbsp mixed spice,1tpsp cinnamon,1tbspground ginger,1tbsp ground cloves

3tbsp Brandy ( actually, this mixture needs more than that....)

MIX ALL THAT LOT UP and put into sterilised jars.

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Fri 22-Oct-10
10:28 pm
Heather E
Rubery, Worcestershire

Knowledegable
Members

New members
2110sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Kate.   How long does it have to stand to mature?  Can I leave making it until beginning of November?  I'm a bit strapped for time over the next week.  It sounds delicious, though.ok

Gone crazy. Back soon.

Fri 22-Oct-10
10:39 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829
2111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Heather- it is very spicy and dries out quite quickly, so it is best made closer to Christmas and won't keep as well as other mincemeats, so yes, November would be fine!

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Fri 22-Oct-10
10:50 pm
Heather E
Rubery, Worcestershire

Knowledegable
Members

New members
2112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Kate.ok

Gone crazy. Back soon.

Sun 24-Oct-10
4:11 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
2113sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave Well today there have been two lots of visitors to see the pups, not to buy, just to enjoy.  It's been a very busy week with lots going on and I am enjoying a bit of peace and quiet before I hoover and tidy up in preparation for tomorrow when I am going to Fife to pick up my grandchildren who are coming over for a few days.  I am so looking forward to it and know they will just love being with these pups.  

It was a real frosty morning, which has developed into a beautiful crisp sunny day, which makes me loath to work indoors, but needs must as they say.  big_hug

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 24-Oct-10
4:19 pm
Michelle from Oregon
Oregon, USA

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1343
2114sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ugly day here, rain and wind. Probably for the best, I definitely need to shovel out the inside of the house since I have been working outside frantically trying to get everything buttoned up for winter. But, I'm going to start a big batch of apple butter, so the house will smell fabulous while work....i_am_hungry

If you can't be a shining example, be a terrible warning!

Sun 24-Oct-10
8:18 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
2115sp_Permalink sp_Print

didn't raise much at the car boot sale this morning, but I did get more crafty goods. And I realised how many cards and things I'd made already. Pics at the end of this.

We've just nommed some roast dinner, our housemate is making sponge for puding, we have the fire on and some lovely sniffy incense burning, so I think a nice glass of wine and put my feet up in front of the telly. lahv-ly cheers

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
26 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10532

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16173

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2295

Newest Members:

bellwaters97, Jonakir, Doublesden, naoum, brunorogers, Weismart

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder