stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden, day by day. 2014
Mon 16-Jun-14
12:32 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
256sp_Permalink sp_Print

My Daughter gave me a 'Winston Churchill' Fuchsia, yesterday, it has Buds on, but do not know what colour the Flowers are , will look it up. Got to get that potted up, this afternoon, and some Lettuce Seeds planted, it is still nice here, sorry , your weather is not, Hannah.

Mon 16-Jun-14
6:16 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Picked enough runner beans to serve 6 yesterday.  We had them with some pork but my favourite meal at this time of year is lamb, mint sauce, new potatoes, runner beans and carrots.  Will get some lamb for the end of the week when our son is coming to pick up his step daughter from Uni.  They will stay with us overnight so the usual request is for a roast meal.

Mon 16-Jun-14
6:52 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084
258sp_Permalink sp_Print

No beans for us yet, Iris.....don't like runner beans, but have both purple climbing and yellow & green dwarf French beans, none of which are even in flower yet. 

We've had lots of new potatoes, and are picking a bowlful of strawberries every day now - some we eat (well, I eat most of them!), some I'm freezing for later jam making.  The blackcurrants are all beginning to ripen now too.

We bought a pack of Living Salad leaves from the supermarket the other day, husband has separated them all out and planted them in a couple of growbags.  We did this last year too, after I saw it mentioned on a blog, it worked really well, we got lots of cut and come again salad leaves for weeks for just the 99p it cost to buy the pack.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Mon 16-Jun-14
8:59 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
259sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a good tip, Sue, I do this with Parsley, but never thought of doing it with Lettuce.

Tue 17-Jun-14
9:51 am
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
260sp_Permalink sp_Print

Isn't it strange how ripening times vary across the country.  Our blackcurrants are nowhere near ripening but the redcurrants are starting to show some colour.  We haven't planted any potatoes this year.  My husband's back has been causing him trouble - 4th visit to the chiropractor this week - so it's not a good idea for him to be digging.  We only have the runner beans so early as we grow them in the polytunnel.  We have some outside too but the pigeons got at the first ones we put in so the newer ones are way behind.  Our strawberries are all but finished now despite having bought two varieties which were supposed to fruit at different times.

Tue 17-Jun-14
2:31 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
261sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well Iris, my Strawberries are still Green, but have picked a Bowl of Gooseberries this morning,will be having the first of them for Pud with a bit of Custard.

Tue 17-Jun-14
3:33 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084
262sp_Permalink sp_Print

Iris, something that might help your husband if you want homegrown new potatoes.......we decided to try growing some of ours in bags in the polytunnel this year, to get an earlier crop.  We just used those 50p shopping bags the supermarkets all sell, we put 3 or 4 seed spuds in each and filled them up a bit at a time with compost.  So no digging to sow them, and harvesting is simply a matter of tipping the bag out on a spare bit of garden.  They've done really well, got about 3 meals worth for the two of us out of each bag.  You could probably still do it now if you chitted some bought spuds (as there probably aren't any seed potatoes left in the shops).

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Tue 17-Jun-14
8:28 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424
263sp_Permalink sp_Print

Iris just a note could it be the chiropractor making your husbands back worse, That happened to my hubby

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Tue 17-Jun-14
9:46 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
264sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the tips about the potatoes, Sue.  We have grown them in old compost sacks in the past - similar idea but because we were away for the whole of March we had to let some things go by the board.  Local Cornish potatoes are very reasonably priced and this year we don't have any visitors coming to stay for more than a couple of days at a time so we have cut back on what we are growing.

Sorry that chiropractic did not work for your husband, Eileen.  It has improved my husband's back no end.  He's suffered intermittently for 19 years and he's tried physio, massage, exercises, acupuncture, a TENS machine, infra-red massage, ibruprofen gel, etc.  This last bout has been so severe we had to do something.  I decided that we had been trying to treat the symptoms not the cause hence a last ditch attempt which has worked fortunately.  Apart from the odd twinge (caused by carrying a heavy shopping bag today) he is now pain free.  He has exercises to do and a lumbar support belt to wear when gardening so fingers crossed the improvement lasts.

Fri 20-Jun-14
5:55 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
265sp_Permalink sp_Print

Flowers on my Potatoes, looking forward to my first boiling. Potted up Rosemary, and planted some more Dahlias. Watered in Greenhouse, small Cucumbers growing apace, loads of lovely Courgettes.

Fri 20-Jun-14
7:20 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231
266sp_Permalink sp_Print

No gardening today, just harvested a couple of strawberries.

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Tue 2-Dec-14
9:12 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
267sp_Permalink sp_Print

have to re pot my rhodedendrums now I have the compost.

Tue 6-Jan-15
3:08 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Been looking at the Suttons Catalogue, going to try the new Blight resistant Tomato, 'Crimson Crush'. Will be ordering for April shortly, don't want to miss them.

Tue 6-Jan-15
3:15 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232
269sp_Permalink sp_Print

wave I'm on the seed trail at the moment too Christine, for the garden, the greenhouse and our poly tunnel.  Some of us  are buying seeds together, which is good.  I may try those new tomato ones you are getting too.  Thanks! 

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Wed 7-Jan-15
9:06 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
270sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was reading suttons catalogue last evening too Tina

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10532

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 15886

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

summerbeachne, Sarah4863, JenJon, Robert Jackson, ningling2016, Hukkow

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder