stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden Day by Day 2015
Sat 14-Mar-15
7:46 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ian came up tonight and washed the Greenhouse out, ready to House any new Baby Plants arriving  Tomorrow.  I should say, Disinfected it. Did get one Plant I had ordered with some Seeds, a Garlic Chive Plant, have given it a good Drink, will pot into a larger Pot tomorrow. Strange that Iris, your Letter not appearing, but sometimes I can't get what I want, and give up. Gremlins, at work, methinks!

Sun 15-Mar-15
2:28 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Think it was user error, Tina  I may have been too quick going back to the topics page on the forum and not waiting until told my post had saved.  Hey ho, have to learn to slow downsmilesmile Have just come in from spending another hour in the garden,  this time weeding around the raspberries and gooseberries.  Another wheelbarrow load of weeds gone on the bonfire pile.  I need to crawl under the blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes now to clear the ground before mulching again.  I shall continue to do the heavy work over the next week which is supposed to be dry but cloudy and then use the voucher my children gave me for Mother's Day - a back, neck and shoulder massage.  I shall need it after barrowing weeds and mulchlaugh 

Sun 15-Mar-15
5:00 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Went to Dobies today, and as usual wanted everything, bought baby Fuchsias, will list them tomorrow, but bought loads. Also Pots of all sizes, and two nice Mauve Bowls, with Mauve and Yellow Violas to be potted up in them tomorrow, one each side of the Door. Bought some new Herbs, my Sage was a bit straggley, new large Bird Feeder, I could go on, just went mad in there. But then, if you're going to go mad anywhere, it might as well be Dobies. My Daughter restrained me from buying a large Garden Frog, I do love Frogs. I mean, an Ornament, not yer actual Frog.wave

Sun 15-Mar-15
7:33 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

If you enjoyed yourself Tina who cares, I planted a load of herb seeds and some viola and dianthus seeds today

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Mon 16-Mar-15
3:25 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members

Finished clearing "my" soft fruit beds in the productive garden this morning.  Also dug out some large weeds and two buddleia bushes that had self-seeded into OH's veg plot.  They were about 2 ft high and certainly weren't there last year.  I've also started to tackle the weeds in a large raised bed in front of the house but my knees and hands are aching  so I've decided to come indoors. That's one of the things about living in Cornwall nothing stops growing throughout the winter and the weeds grow faster than the plants you try to cultivate steam  Need for the soil to dry out a little more before the real work begins on cleaning the veg plot.

Mon 16-Mar-15
3:36 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I have 2 or 3 buddleia bushes in the middle of the lawn, had no idea what they were

Mon 16-Mar-15
3:44 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave Spent some time, at long last, planting seeds this morning. They are all in the greenhouse.  Don't think I need to take them to the poly tunnel right as yet!   Feel quite good now!  smile

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Wed 18-Mar-15
8:51 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Done a lot in the Greenhouse today, transplanted Lettuce, Peas, and Sweet Peas, beginning to fill up a bit now. Well pleased, but ache all over.

Thu 19-Mar-15
4:22 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members

Have put lots of FYM in the greenhouse and watered it well.  OH has been busy sowing seeds which are now in a mini 4 tier plastic greenhouse inside the polytunnel.  We were given some bricks from inside night storage heaters.  These are now a path in the greenhouse and OH has used some as a base for the mini greenhouse.  They should hold the heat overnight and help germination of his seeds.  Have put weedkiller all around the base of the fencing to kill off the grass which can't be cut without damaging the fence wire.  Lots more jobs to do but can't settle today.

Thu 19-Mar-15
9:14 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been really busy in Greenhouse, as it has been a beautiful Day. Transplanted Herbs into bigger Pots,, sowed Spring Onion, and Radish. This Year, am trialing a Tomato new to me' Black Russian', has a really good write up, and as the name implies, is Black/Red in Colour.

Sat 21-Mar-15
10:20 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Sent for all Female Variety of Cucumber 'Socrates', it was very pricey, nearly six Pounds. Last Year I grew 'Femspot' and that did well, but thought I would have a change. I also found out that Aspirin Water is very beneficial to Tomatoes, it helps against Disease, 1 Aspirin to one Gallon of Water. also Dried Banana Skins, dried in the Oven till Brown, then ground up, are an excellent source of Potassium. Will be trying both these. I have always saved my Eggshells to use in the Garden, but ground up, they are  much more effective. I love trying new things, especially when they are going to cost me nothing.

Sat 21-Mar-15
10:30 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave  Thanks for the tips Tina.  I shall try those!  big_hug

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Sun 22-Mar-15
9:11 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Great tips Tina will have to try them, I am going down to get some copper tape to put around my pot today, slugs are eating the tulip leaves

Sun 22-Mar-15
10:49 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

The Gardening Forum I am in is great, so many 'old Hands' with Years of experience behind them. Really need to go out , and take a Hand Fork to the Strawberries, need to get some Air to their Roots.

Sun 22-Mar-15
11:00 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

my strawberrys haven't come yet , I am hoping tomorrow as they were despatched Thursday

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
38 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10532

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 15858

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

Jamesdaf, WILLH20, DorothyBug, Peterws, Josephelepe, Robertson

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder