stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden Day by Day 2015
Sun 22-Mar-15
1:03 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

One of my Carers, who is not interested in Gardening, said her Son emptied the Ash from their Fire, under Flowering Bushes in her Garden, and they were always covered in blooms, so could not get out fast enough, " could I have some please?". She is bringing me some Tomorrow, as I keep her well supplied with Goodies, it's fair Exchange.laugh

Sun 22-Mar-15
5:56 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

For those with woodburners and who don't already know, soot is also good for the garden.  It should be allowed to age for 6-12 months then applied around plants sparingly.  We also sprinkle the leftovers from bonfires into the compost heap, including any charcoal, which enriches the resulting compost.

Wed 25-Mar-15
6:53 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

So pleased with what I have achieved Today, Took all remaining bits of rubbish out of Strawberries, f0rked Air to their Roots, gave them a good dressing of Fish Blood and Bone, and took out old Soil from top and replaced  it with new. Sowed Zinnia Seeds, and put some more Broad Beans in to soak.

Sun 5-Apr-15
5:45 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been very busy in Garden. Broad Beans coming on, Zinnias through, fed my Daffs by the House Wall, cleared out old Pots. Am pooped.

Mon 6-Apr-15
2:55 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Cabbage through' Hispi' my favourite. Re-potted Fuchsias, gave all my Strawberries a good watering with Aspirin Water. Cut out dead Carnations. Did not want to do too much, was not wanting to be as pooped as yesterday.

Mon 6-Apr-15
3:46 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members

I too am cream crackered!  Have a small area of the block paving to clean then that job is finished.  Hope to do that after Tai Chi tomorrow.  Don't suppose the family will notice but I will smile  I think Spring has arrived today.  We awoke to a cloudless sky and the sun has shone warmly all day.  The perfume from the wallflowers on the raised be in front of the house has been wafting around on the light breeze, the daffodils are out along with the primroses, grape hyacinths and the ornamental cherry blossom.  Even spied some violets in the Cornish hedge along the boundary of our lawn. It would be lovely to have a few more days like this.

Mon 6-Apr-15
3:58 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337

Those blimming Violets have taken over my little patch.  They are pretty but by heck, they are thugs!

I'll try that again!

Mon 6-Apr-15
5:03 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members

Sorry they are causing you trouble, TA!   I much prefer them than celandines which are a plague here.  They have escaped from the Cornish hedge into my flower border and I can't get rid of the tiny bulblets that they produce.

OH has planted potatoes today along with some heritage peas in his veg plot.  We are both ready now for a tea so off to put the kettle on.

Mon 6-Apr-15
6:34 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337

I know what you mean Iris, I have some Spanish bluebells here that keep coming up, no matter how many I pull out.  You deserved that cuppa, I reckon.

I'll try that again!

Mon 6-Apr-15
7:38 pm
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

gardens a building site at the moment, but I have plants lined up to go out at the weekend. Our summerhouse came today, so by the weekend we will have a lovely garden.

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Mon 6-Apr-15
7:59 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Bet you can't wait for it all to be finished, Eileen.  How exciting!

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Mon 6-Apr-15
8:54 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

wave I love violets Toni!!  So looking forward to seeing pictures of your garden Eileen.  It is indeed exciting.  We managed to sort out the water problem we had in the poly tunnel, this afternoon.  I was struggling to get water from the burn, ( have almost fallen in a couple of times!!! big_laugh )  but now we have a huge tank, which was filled this afternoon by the fire hose from our volunteer fire crew.  Seeing as I have 3 beds to water, this will make a huge difference to me!!   

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Mon 6-Apr-15
9:35 pm
Hannah
Suffolk

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4231

Had a good productive day in the garden today. Continued modifying the main oval bed, with the help of a chainsaw to get a largish shrub cut down, left a small stump, I may use that to put an ornament on at some time. Got out two big rootballs of something else, and dug over the bed ready for the next phase. I already have red and blackcurrant bushes in, also some herbs. I want raspberries both summer and autumn varieties, and I will transplant the strawberries from troughs to that area. Bought a few more herbs today and some sweet peas, but not raspberries as the place I went to wanted an exorbitant amount for them. Went to another place and they were just closing, so will go back tomorrow- their plants were cheaper.

Later will fet some beans in, dwarf and runner varieties- by then it will be fairly filled I think!

Just had a good long soak in the bath, but I am sure I will have a few aches tomorrow!

Are we having fun yet? I am!

Tue 7-Apr-15
7:48 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

A lot of work Hannah, I am sure the water tank will make your life easier Danuta. Going out today to get some canes ready to put the runner beans out , will also by some fruit shrubs from Wilko's.

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Tue 7-Apr-15
8:53 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Am still waiting for the Council to re-instate my outside Tap, a nasty piece of work came out three Weeks ago, and humped and haa-d said the Cupboard had to come off he needed a Joiner, since then, nothing. Will get on to them today, it is a struggle, if nothing forthcoming, will get one put in myself, need that Water, now.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
43 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10532

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 15857

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2271

Newest Members:

WILLH20, DorothyBug, Peterws, Josephelepe, Robertson, LindaVeigo

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder