stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Tue 29-Mar-16
5:35 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I suppose if they do well, there'll be a lot of vegetables going into your freezer, Iris. ok

At least you'll have some - in the last few years things are just not growing in our veg patch, and one wonders what is under the ground ... ponder

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Wed 30-Mar-16
1:15 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6701

Son bought me a Bag of Horse Manure this Morning. Ecstatic !     Marrows through, Koralik Tomatoes through, hopefully everything coming up Roses.

Wed 30-Mar-16
4:31 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

We have had a decent day so have been out sowing flower seeds into trays in the tunnel.

Thu 31-Mar-16
9:25 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Boys emptied Shed of all Rubbish.  Hope to get out in the Garden Tomorrow, such a lot happening at the Moment.  I have a Flower on my Tomato, Totem, never seen a Tomato Flower so early.

Sat 2-Apr-16
5:05 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been out in Garden, reasonable Day, but the Mist never quite lifted, and it is coming down again, not warm.  Elaine, friend, who was Weeding,got rid of a lot of that awful Creeping Buttercup, we don't want to apply Weedkiller, while there are a lpt of Daffs, and Narcissi to come out, so she cleared round them by Hand, and did the same to the Rhubarb, then gave the Rhubarb a Feed, of Blood Bone and Fish.  Some nice Clumps forming there.  Going to move two large Shrubs from the big Border, and re locate them, so I can get a largish  Space for the Dahlias I have bought.  Meanwhile, I Pruned the Fuchsias, and Herbs back, took lots of Cuttings of Fuchsias, some will take am sure.  Potted up my Rosemary Cuttings, as they had a good Root System.  So feeling Hungry now, Elaine has left for the Chip Shop.

Tue 5-Apr-16
7:33 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I do not beleeeeeve it !  Someone, has very  kindly bought me a Fruit Tree.  It is a Pear, and is not self Fertile.steam

Wed 6-Apr-16
9:19 am
Terrier
York

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4518

I did some planting in mid March, but it's been so cold that not much is showing yet, peas are just poking through, no sign of tomato seedlings, but I did cheat and buy a couple packs of seedlings from a garden centre, they are going great guns, but have to be covered over every night.

I've planted corn, tomatoes, cucumber( 2 types) and kale ( coming along nicely) - all in modules in the greenhouse.

I'm going to give runner beans a go this year, just because Mike always asks if I'm growing them and usually the answer is no, I don't particularly like them and usually grown broad, borlotti, and French beans but going to give the broad beans a miss this year.

need to get started with the herbs too, basil and coriander.

Wed 6-Apr-16
12:50 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

All my small Plants are doing well, and have Flowers on my TOTEM Tomatoes.  Decided to pot up the Pear Tree, I doubt it will bear Fruit, but stranger things have happened.

Fri 8-Apr-16
12:47 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Would like to get out into the Garden, if it would only stay the same for two Minutes.

Fri 8-Apr-16
3:45 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Had to give up my amateur attempts at pest control and get a professional mole catcher in.  He's been today and put 9 traps down in our and daughter's lawns.  He reckons there's at least 3 of the little devils tunnelling. The neighbour whose land adjoins our field was having trouble too so he's got 4 traps in his lawn.  Fingers crossed this works as it's costing £85 for the privilege of having a level lawn rather than a switchback.

Fri 8-Apr-16
5:13 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337

Ouch, that is a lot of money.  I hope it works for you and that you are never troubled again.

I'll try that again!

Sun 10-Apr-16
4:20 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Lot done in the Garden Today, Bushes dug up and removed to other Gardens, or elsewhere, and discovered my little Bramley which has not yet fruited is covered with Buds, got a good  Feed of Horse Manure, and a good watering, so hoping for great things this Year.          It has now been decided that I should keep the Greenhouse One more Year, so have to go out Shopping for Plants for that.                  Checked my Dahlias, and three of the Seven, have signs of Life, so putting them in the Greenhouse , and tomorrow, will lay them on Compost, and give them a good watering to start them into growth.  Feeling tired, but extremely satisfied.laugh

Tue 12-Apr-16
8:09 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

Flaming Nora, Tina (as you English say), you don't have achieve things every day, despite your constraints.

You should write a book really.big_hug

Never knowingly underfed

Tue 12-Apr-16
8:14 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

I am half Irish, Danny. lol.  I have often thought of writing a Book, but don't have the Time !laugh

Fri 15-Apr-16
9:47 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Potted up my five 'Losetto' Tomatoes, yesterday, and sprayed my Dahlias in the Greenhouse, since then, have found Trays, so can lay the Dahlias on Compost, and hope they will have strong growth on them when I come to Plant them, after the Frosts have passed.  My Marrows are going mad, but too early to plant out, going to start more off, plus Cucumbers.  Lots of lovely Green on the Raspberry Bushes,  but must  get someone to Prune my Gooseberries, bit late, I know, but we are always two Weeks behind, at least, in Scotland.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16212

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2323

Newest Members:

FrankDum, JoseBattaglia, crystaivf, ElenofulA, Rickyfrere, Williamkep

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder