stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Sun 17-Apr-16
5:44 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Today have planted...broccoli, leeks, Brussels sprouts, peas and kale. All seed. Hope I get some plants.

Have planted indoors parsley, coriander, chives, thyme, and rosemary. Planning to put into bigger pots outside once of a good size.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Sun 17-Apr-16
9:37 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6701

My Windowsills are crammed with Plants, can't put them out too cold, too cold even in the unheated Greenhouse at the Moment, better Weather this coming Week, but then reverts to more Icy Weather.  Good Luck with all your Seed Planting, Aly.

Mon 18-Apr-16
6:42 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

One of my problems is our windows open inwards so cannot put much on the windowsil! Very annoying!

Mon 18-Apr-16
10:02 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Going top be potting up, and potting on, in the Greenhouse Today.

Mon 18-Apr-16
12:38 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

OH has been weeding the onion and garlic outside and succession sowing carrots, spring onions, etc in the polytunnel.  I've been weedkilling and potting up a few plants for the garden club coffee morning and plant sale in May.  I was getting cold outside so came in sooner than planned. 

Mon 18-Apr-16
3:14 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Well, that's what I thought I would be doing, but an unexpected Visitor, who only left at two thirty, has meant that all I have done in the Greenhouse, is pot up Marrows, and put my Dahlias onto Compost, four of the Six now have Shoots on them, so watered them, and the Lemon Tree, and that's it for Today, as it is blowing a Gale.

Tue 19-Apr-16
6:45 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Lovely Day today, so Potted on Tomatoes, sowed Lettuce, and Marigolds, weeded outside Onions and Garlic, and filled the Pond for the Birds, it was very low, and they do like a Splash about in it. So much to do, hope I can get an early start tomorrow.

Wed 20-Apr-16
12:39 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Planted three different Types of Cucumber, one Mini that I had last Year, called 'Minibel', it did well, but wanted a long Cucumber, and had ' Long Green Ridge' but had to be in by 2010, so don't know whether it will come. And 'Watouma' which has Male and Female Flowers, not keen on them, prefer an all Female Cucumber.  Back out to Garden.

Thu 21-Apr-16
3:34 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Such a lot done Outside Today, feeling good about it. Robin, emptied all the Tubs, that had last Years Plants in them, re shuffled the good used Compost, fed the Pots, and put new Compost in, ready to Plant up. He finally trimmed the Gooseberry Bush. Put in the Sweet Peas I had grown, in their Tubs. And then trimmed both Lavender Bushes, well, I say Trimmed, but at least half of them were dead Wood, all been Fed and new Compost added.  And last but not least, got the big Box Tub, ready for the Marrows when they can safely come out of the Greenhouse, so all in all, been a very satisfying Day. And, last Year grew Dahlias from Seed, this Year, they are blooming great healthy Tubers, don't know how they survived the Winter in Tubs, but suppose the Water would go through the Tubs, so they would not be sitting in Water.  Off to make Dinner. Think Son deserves his favourite Rock Cakes.laugh

Sat 23-Apr-16
1:47 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Very cold in Garden, today, although the Sun was shining, but still got more necessary Work, done, I am the Overseer, if I started Weeding, would end up in the Flowerbed, it has happened.  It sounds a bit naff lying on the Ground, shouting " HELP!"       The Raspberries, needed weeding, badly, so that I could feed them, their start up Feed of Fish, Blood, and Bone, and this was done. Grass cut, and sown with new Seed, watered in. Several other wee Jobs, that needed doing, done. Happy.laugh

Sat 30-Apr-16
7:25 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Still a very cold Wind, even though the Sun was shining, not a Day to sit out in.  Everything had survived in the Greenhouse, though really expected the worse with the Marrows, Nature is great, hanging in there against the Odds. potted the Marrows into a bigger Pot, too cold outside yet, planted by new Cucumber Seeds, ' Femspot' all Female, much happier with that, and planted some Sweet Peas outside. Do hope it warms up soon.

Fri 6-May-16
1:04 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been busy this Morning, put Strawberries into their 'forever Home', planted out Marrows, and Fuchsias, did a bit of Pot weeding, going back out after my Lunch settles.

Fri 6-May-16
6:09 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Have been really busy in the garden over the last couple of days.  Grass all cut and lawns edged.  Have put weedkiller down on the gravel drive and paths and around the rabbit fencing so OH doesn't strim the wire laughlaugh.  Have transplanted 9 mini rose bushes.  They had really bad black spot last year so have changed the containers and compost. Have cleaned out some tubs into which I am going to plant dwarf sweet peas.  Need to go to the garden centre to get more compost before I can complete the job.  OH has been weeding and sorting his veg bed and planting lots of seeds now it's warmed up.   He's also replaced the water butt near my greenhouse with another which he seldom used.  The tap on the old one was loose and despite our best efforts at tightening it and sealing it, it sprang a leak. As it was made from a tall fruit juice barrel with a fixed lid we couldn't reach down far enough inside to hold the nut to screw in a new one.  He's now sawn off the lid so we can reach inside to secure a new tap and will make a new wooden lid.  Picked our first ripe strawberry a couple of days ago but the dratted ants had got there before us.  frown

Fri 6-May-16
9:56 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

First decent Day for Ages, so much to do.  Potted up outside Tomatoes, planted Marrows, hope they survive, potted up Fuchsias. Boys came and weeded the big Border  bigger Job than it sounds, ready for my Dahlias, but they are not ready yet. Am pooped, away to Bed, got a Friend coming tomorrow, to give me a Hand, lots more potting up to do.

Sat 7-May-16
8:34 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Last two beds dug over and first rake done. One more final rake and weed clearance then will buy some plantlets. Planning on courgette and squash. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16244

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2337

Newest Members:

DiabloFour, Limaoemuri, Audreyjuite, ????? ????? ?????? ???????, hugehomel, Lierve

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder