HomeIn the garden day by day 2016 | Page 6 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

In the garden day by day 2016 | Page 6 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Sat 7-May-16
9:21 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If you are 'into' Gardening', and I am, pretty exciting times. lollaugh

Sat 7-May-16
10:31 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

Just in for a break....raspberries are fruiting! Tina I love growing my own food! Watching it grow then picking it and cooking it! I also love being out in the garden. All weeding done by hand as no chemicals allowed here! Have had a no chemical policy for two years now, ever since we decided to have bees! Our nucleus is booked and deposit paid...should be here mid June.

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Tue 10-May-16
1:16 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been in the Garden all Morning, Potting up Plants for the Ramp, only got a couple  to do  now, run out of Medium size Pots, and want to put my favourite Fuchsia in a Pot on it's own, only have Pots taking four Plants, don't want to go to the trouble of taking a Plant out of a Pot, but might have too.

Tue 10-May-16
6:37 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Am so tired, been in the Garden most of the Day, but that's about it sorted, just got the Dahlias to put in, and can't do that till I get the Stakes.    Put some Lettuce Plants in that I had grown from Seed, so that's a start on my Summer  Salad.       Cucumbers still on Bedroom Windowsill, another Week, at least before they can join the Tomatoes and Peppers in the Greenhouse.

Wed 11-May-16
12:17 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Decided to pot the Cucumbers into a size bigger Pot, as their Roots were coming out of the bottom, so done that, they are now in the Greenhouse.  Potted up some Fuchsia Cuttings.  Think I have a dead Strawberry Tub, it is not putting on growth, and the Leaves seem to be curling inwards, never had this happen before, the other Pot next to it, looks wonderful, so still time to get new Plants, just letting my Lunch go down before I go back outside.

Thu 12-May-16
6:58 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Sent for five new Strawberry Plants, thought I would give 'Red Gauntlet' a go.  I have yet to empty the old Pot, but not using it anyway, prepared two new Tubs. Been outside best part of the Day doing bits and Bobs, am drunk on all this Sunshine, alas, to end Tomorrow.laugh

Thu 12-May-16
7:14 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Had a break in the rain and managed to treat the last pear tree. I have had a problem with a sort of fungus on the wood. Decided on my own treatment....made up a bowl of a weak solution of washing up liquid and used this with a brush. I have cleaned the fungus from all the affected trees. So far the problem has not come back.

Once the weather is warm and sunny I will douse the weeds between the veg beds with white vinegar. This will kill them naturally. Once treated I will cover the path with scalpings.

Thu 12-May-16
8:27 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Never heard of Vinegar, Aly, but it makes sense, might try it on my Weeds.

Thu 12-May-16
8:42 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Best done on a sunny day. I put the vinegar in a spray bottle but be careful as it will kill more than weeds! Other plants can suffer if you spray them! White vinegar is very cheap here too!

Sat 21-May-16
3:05 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Although windy, it has been nice in the Sun, so been outside for a while.  Ian, very kindly put my Dahlias in and Staked them, then put my crushed Egg Shells round the Base of each one, and lastly Pet Friendly Slug Pellets, Slugs, just love Dahlias !    Re potted some Lettuce, went to sow some more, but could not find any.  He is getting me three new Cucumber Size Pots, the Ones I have are either too Big or too small.   Only have two Cucumbers and two Tomatoes to pot up, and that's it set for Summer.  Growing some Marigolds for the Border, they should be big enough to plant out next Week. Happy Days !smile

Sat 21-May-16
3:44 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Good feeling when you are up to date.

Planted a butternut squash plant I found in the garden centre  and did another area of my veg patch with white vinegar. Slowly getting there!

Sat 21-May-16
8:02 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

All coming together now, and it feels good. Ordered some Celery Plants, never grown it, but use it a lot.  Have a spare big Tub, might use it for Peas, gave up on growing Peas, as Ian eats them, but maybe put an Electric Fence round.  Also ordered myself some Aster Plugs, they make a lovely Show in late Summer.

Sun 22-May-16
7:46 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

We've got so much in the polytunnels, planted out, and waiting to be planted out now, it's all quite exciting!  And needs so much organisation.....husband has done most of the work (good on him), but he's not so good at keeping to the planting plan we sat down together and worked out at the beginning of the year  doh

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Sun 22-May-16
10:32 am
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Just watered the tunnel this morning and have been picking 1kg of strawberries at a time.  Found a rabbit inside the rabbit fencing this morning but watched to see where he got out and wired up the hole.  It's eaten all the pea plants and some of the cabbage.  GRR.

Sun 22-May-16
3:46 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

That's not good Iris, but if you have bunged up his Place of entry, should be okay, but not good to lose your Plants.    Been out in the Garden, a bit of a coming and going  Day, warm, and windy, but not always Sunny.      Got three Pots the size I wanted, from my Daughter, and potted up two 'Shirley' Tomatoes, so only have a Cucumber to pot up, and that's it in the Greenhouse..    Am envious of your Strawberries, Iris, mine are outside, and only have small Flowers on them.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10534

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16162

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

datafastproxiespx01, IrinaSepsy, MariyaGrona, ThomasNaw, ScottTyhor, NetworthRCM

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516