HomeIn the garden day by day 2016 | Page 7 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

In the garden day by day 2016 | Page 7 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Sun 22-May-16
6:00 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

What a nuisance, Iris....fortunately, we don't get any rabbit damage, although the birds pull up a lot of young plants!  We have quite a lot of fruit on our strawberry plants, which are outside, but they're all green right now, will be another couple of weeks before any are ready for picking.

Husband's just done a bit of bartering.....we have new neighbours who, amazingly, are actually interested in gardening (none of the others are).  He's just swapped some of our raspberry canes (we're inundated with them) for a water butt that was surplus to their requirements.  They apparently used to have an allotment near their previous house, and the lady is a vegetarian, so they're quite keen to get fruit and veg growing here.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Mon 23-May-16
12:21 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699

Been out to Greenhouse and Garden, too hot in Greenhouse to pot up Cucumber, so watered, and made a quick Exit.  I gave my Neighbour a Pot of lovely Pinks for her Birthday in early April.  They have been sitting outside in their Original small Pot for a while now, so offered to pot them into a much bigger Pot, so she could enjoy them all Summer, and beyond, my Carnations are just coming into bloom, and they go on all Summer. I have done this, and she showed me a most unusual, Zygocactus Truncatus, sorry about Spelling, can't think of it's common name, so got a couple of pieces of that from her.  Lovely, out,so going to plant some Spring Onions, gave up trying to grow them from Seed, so bought some from the Garden Centre. bbl T x

Mon 23-May-16
2:27 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337

Sue, what good news about your neighbours - I can see a little friendly rivalry happening in the future!  Have the neighbours with the barking dog gone?

I'll try that again!

Mon 23-May-16
2:47 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members

It's early days yet Toni, they've only just moved in, but they were at the house the week before they actually moved in, tidying up the garden! (the previous tenant, the one with the eternally barking dogs, had left it in a terrible state).  It's so refreshing, and such a good sign, to have neighbours who are actually interested in gardening, none of the others are, they just treat their 'gardens' as car parks (and a dog toilet, in the case of next door  ponder - not pleasant in the summer!).  Next door's dogs, well, one of them mainly (they have 3) do bark sometimes, but fortunately the owners are pretty quick to shut them up now, as they know we won't hesitate to have a word with the landlord if it becomes a problem again.  I know dogs bark, it's in their nature, and we have had dogs ourselves in the past, but having to put up with incessant barking for literally hours at a time was just too much to bear.

Husband is in the garden now, building another raised bed, it'll be for next year.  I've been helping him but my back is giving out, so have come in to take tablets and rest for a while, hence why I'm having a sneaky browse!  (naughty naughty, only a couple of days after I said I wasn't going to be on the computer during the day  big_laugh ). 

Mon 23-May-16
4:23 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators

So, good neighbours to replace the bad, I like it.

I'll try that again!

Wed 8-Jun-16
7:48 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Everything going well in the Greenhouse and Garden,I have Marble sized Fruits on a couple of my Tomatoes, Cucumbers putting on a lot of growth with all the Sun we have been lucky to have.  Had to get rid of one Tub of Strawberries, wondered why the were wilting when the others were doing so well, found when I took up the Plants, little fat white Grubs, the dreaded Vine Weevil, first time in all the years I have been Gardening.  My Marrows coming on, after a slow start, Gooseberries and Raspberries, loaded, better get plenty of Sugar in.   We really could do with some Rain, now.

Wed 8-Jun-16
9:16 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10534

Bro picked a whole ice cream pot of raspberries this evening, our first this year! ok

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Thu 9-Jun-16
9:22 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Mine are well on considering am so far North, but will be down to the good Weather, we never usually have.

Thu 9-Jun-16
9:33 am
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Tina, the ripening seems to have happened almost overnight - when I looked two days ago, I could count the red raspberries on one hand. Now, there's no stopping them! i_am_hungry   smile

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Thu 9-Jun-16
12:36 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

I do love a fresh Raspberry. yum x Am a greedy Blighter.

Sat 11-Jun-16
2:38 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
101sp_Permalink sp_Print

We had bought a large tub of apricots in the supermarket, but realise they will go off (we have other fruits needing to be eaten), so cousin has prepared them and bottled them in sugar and Cognac. They are such a beautiful colour. My Bro has asked if they've been in the jar long enough to eat .... greedy boy!! wink

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sat 11-Jun-16
3:26 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
102sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would love to try those, since apricots and brandy are favourite tastes for me.  wine

I'll try that again!

Sun 12-Jun-16
5:49 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
103sp_Permalink sp_Print

They certainly look wonderful Toni, and Bro keeps asking if they've been steeped long enough! smile

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sun 12-Jun-16
6:11 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
104sp_Permalink sp_Print

He is just too impatient Val!

I'll try that again!

Mon 13-Jun-16
4:12 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
105sp_Permalink sp_Print

We've just bought 2 French lavenders, one lilac and the other a deep pink, and an absolutely gorgeous deep pinkish David Austin rose, Munstead Wood.  It has the most glorious strong old-fashioned proper rose scent, it's just lovely.   

Our veggies are all coming on really well, will be eating the first courgettes this week, already had some new potatoes and onions (boy, they're so strong they make me cry like a baby when I'm peeling them!).  The blueberry and blackcurrant bushes are absolutely loaded with fruit, as are the strawberries (which we've had to net - we don't mind sharing a few with the birds, but flocks of starlings were a bit much!).  However, our fruit trees - 2 pears, 1 each cooking and dessert apple and a plum - have hardly any fruits on them at all  confused

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10534

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16162

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

datafastproxiespx01, IrinaSepsy, MariyaGrona, ThomasNaw, ScottTyhor, NetworthRCM

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516