HomeIn the garden day by day 2016 | Page 8 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

In the garden day by day 2016 | Page 8 | Growing: vegetables, fruit and herbaceous | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the garden day by day 2016
Mon 13-Jun-16
6:31 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
106sp_Permalink sp_Print

OH took his first toddle around the veg garden today - progress.  I've got my orders for what needs doing!!  Been too damp today to work outside.

Thu 7-Jul-16
2:34 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6699
107sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sunny, and windy out, but managed to do a bit of weeding.  Can anyone tell me why I have a lot of misshapen Strawberries this Year, always have some, but this is notable.   My Roses have really suffered, one lost all it's Leaves but now has new growth, as am treating them every 14 Days, and the other cannot seem to rid it of Mildew, despite the Fungicide.  Only have two in large Pots, the Blooms are beautiful. Am going to give them a good Feed, and move them so they have Air all round them.

Thu 7-Jul-16
4:14 pm
Toffeeapple
North Bucks

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 16337
108sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good report from your OH, Iris, I hope he continues to improve and rapidly now.

I'll try that again!

Mon 11-Jul-16
12:53 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
109sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going to lift the rest of the Onions and Garlic this Afternoon, and plant Courgettes in their Place, also got to pick Raspberries, and Gooseberries.

Mon 11-Jul-16
10:02 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10534
110sp_Permalink sp_Print

We picked some more raspberries and red gooseberries to mix with some redcurrants - I shall be making some more jelly - so delicious.

OH also picked a very large tub of Morello cherries. Still deciding what to do with them!

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Tue 12-Jul-16
6:21 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
111sp_Permalink sp_Print

Managed to cut grass today.  Before that I picked blackcurrants, the last of the redcurrants and gooseberries - oh and a few tayberries.  I'm leaving OH to pick the runner beans as the foliage irritates my skin!  Picked our first cucumber yesterday.

Tue 12-Jul-16
7:33 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
112sp_Permalink sp_Print

Picked my first two Cucumbers yesterday, Iris, now will not be able to catch up with them.  Have a Loganberry Bush, and it is the first time it is covered with Berries.  Picked more Raspberries.

Wed 13-Jul-16
1:41 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
113sp_Permalink sp_Print

Went out this Morning to water in Greenhouse, yesterday, had a Tomato that looked pretty Sick, gave it a good Water, and hoped for the best, have been very afeared since I found that Vine Weevil in my Strawberries but all was well, it needed a good Drink.  Been chopping off Leaves to let the Sun get to everything, it has turned out very nice, so am going outside but don't think a lot will get done, just enjoy the Sun.

Wed 13-Jul-16
3:21 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
114sp_Permalink sp_Print

Picked my first few Strawberries. Have been trialing Mara Du Bois, Red Gauntlet, and Elsanta.  Most prolific, Mara Du Bois, fattest, Elsanta, tastiest, Red Gauntlet.  Will need a lot more testing, but sure I will manage that !laugh

Thu 14-Jul-16
6:49 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
115sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sat today watching the Hoverflies on the Strawberry Plants in Pots, they are the most upright Strawberry Stalks I have ever seen, ' Mara Du Bois' holding their little white Faces up, as if saying, pick me to Pollinate, it was lovely and peaceful, except when a Kamikaze Fly landed in my Cuppa.eeek

Mon 18-Jul-16
5:20 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
116sp_Permalink sp_Print

Am absolutely pooped. Picked more Raspberries, Rhubarb, Onions, cut extra Stalks from the Tomato Plants  in the Greenhouse, weeded a bit, and dead Headed. A Delivery Man, brought me a Parcel whilst I was in the Garden, and said, " I love your Garden, it smells wonderful !"   My Dahlias are heading up, no idea what Colours they will be, they were a Present, but the two furthest on, are light.   Bit miffed with my Sweet Peas, they are lovely, but not a Red one amongst them.  A strange thing, I grew some from Seed, and then thought they would not be enough, so bought two Pots of them from the Garden Centre.  The ones I grew myself, are in Bloom, and there are plenty, the others, are straggley, and only a couple in Bloom, maybe a Lesson to be learned here.

Sun 24-Jul-16
12:39 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
117sp_Permalink sp_Print

First Tomatoes picked Today, the lovely 'Sungold', did not grow them last year, and wonder why I did not, as they fruited before any of the others, and were still going strong when the others were finished.  The previous year, that is.

Sun 24-Jul-16
1:37 pm
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
118sp_Permalink sp_Print

I picked a handful of orange cherry tomatoes, variety Venus 2 days ago.  I didn't think the plants were doing very well but they are covered in fruit.  On line it says the plants can reach 1.5 m but ours are only about 10 inches tall!  The fruit is not especially tasty but good to mix with gardener's delight in a salad.

Wed 27-Jul-16
12:35 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
119sp_Permalink sp_Print

Went to Greenhouse, and fed and watered them, the Veg, that is, then sat on my Stool, and moved it around while I chopped as much Foliage off as I felt was prudent. Picked two big Cucumbers, and half a Dozen Sungold.  Need to pick more Raspberries, so after Lunch will do that.  Marrows going well, after a very slow start Back out as soon as possible, it is windy but Sunny.

Mon 1-Aug-16
2:58 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
120sp_Permalink sp_Print

Picked the last of the Raspberries, just under a pound, and some Loganberries.  Watered everything it was so dry, Marrows coming on at last.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10534

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16162

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

datafastproxiespx01, IrinaSepsy, MariyaGrona, ThomasNaw, ScottTyhor, NetworthRCM

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516