stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
In the Garden Day by Day 2017
Fri 14-Apr-17
3:36 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 6701
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have to amend something I said, realize it is too late to plant Garlic, but you can buy them 'in the Green', that is part grown, looks like a Leek, because, of course Elephant Garlic, is not true Garlic, but belongs to the 'Allium' Family, but when I looked on Ebay, thought better of it, what a Price ! They do have Plants of wild Garlic, and am very tempted by that.  Glad we have got Rain, at last, everything was so dry.

Sat 15-Apr-17
8:58 am
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Husband has dismantled the 2 old polytunnels this week, we really need to get the new bigger one up next week, or we'll have no tomatoes or cucumber this year, shock horror!  He's planted the potatoes and moved the strawberry runners to a new bed, and prepared another bed for peas, so we're getting there slowly.  I want lots of peas this year, I just love fresh peas straight out of the pod.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Sat 15-Apr-17
9:54 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Mine never reach the Pot, Sue, I eat them while sitting out. x

Wed 19-Apr-17
10:57 am
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 9516

Project polytunnel has begun! I am clearing the weeds from around the base frame so that we can get the plastic on! It has been left for over a year and all the hard work I put in clearing the ground has to be redone!  I have cleared a margin around the inside and have stopped for coffee and to rest my back! Will clear the outside margin next. Then I have to do the usual dig, rake, dig, rake then keep raking until all weeds are gone. This is what I have done in the raised beds and three are now virtually weed free. I will have to keep hoeing to control any re seeding. It is a problem being surrounded by open fields, a lot of weed seeds find their way into my garden. I will never use any chemicals so all weeding is done by hand. My dig and rake routine has proved successful. My plan this year is to get the whole plot weed free! Quite a task!

Trying to enjoy life as it is

http://www.letertregites.com

Wed 19-Apr-17
1:14 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

That's the way to big strong Muscles, Aly, keep at it ! lol x   Ordered myself a Gilet , thought if I had that to protect my Chest, I might be able to get out more.  Am so frustrated, not being able to get the Dahlia Tubers I want, if I could only get to the Gardening Centre myself.

Thu 20-Apr-17
3:49 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Got my wild Garlic Seed, get that potted up tomorrow, Wind, still wreaking Havoc, scattered freebie Seeds in the Flower Patch, after watering copiously, although the Wind was blowing the Water back at me, so fed up with this Wind.

Thu 20-Apr-17
9:26 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

A gardeners life is ruled by the weather! Due to night time frosts I am going to have to repot loads of my seedlings. We have at least another week of Frosty nights.

Still working on removing weeds from the polytunnel. Hope to be done tomorrow. I have chilies, peppers, aubergines, tomatoes, cucumber and butternut squash waiting to be planted in there

Fri 21-Apr-17
9:36 am
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Good Show, Aly, will certainly help with the Budget, and lovely being able to pick stuff as you want it. Not Garden, but got Cress Seeds, yesterday, so will be sowing some this Morning , on the Windowsill, love Egg and Cress Sandwiches. It is now 25 Pence a Punnet from the Supermarket.

Fri 21-Apr-17
12:13 pm
Aly
Normandy France

Supreme Being
Members

New members

All planted now. Later today I will manure the outside beds and get the peas and beans in!

Fri 21-Apr-17
12:23 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Bet you are feeling so good, Forgot to pot Cress, must do it.

Tue 2-May-17
12:18 am
eileen54
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 4424

How is everyone's garden doing? My fruit trees ,strawberries, blueberries and peas are all flowering, the blackcurrant has fruit on it and I am harvesting radish ,salad leaves and spinach.

Never give up Tomorrow is another day.

Tue 2-May-17
9:55 am
irist
Cornwall UK

Expert
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 730

Hello Eileen.  Good to hear from you.  We picked our first ripe strawberry from the tunnel yesterday.  We have cut and come again lettuce almost ready and the radish and spring onions are not far from being ready to pick.  Have to confess I haven't looked at the currant bushes and gooseberries closely enough to know if they have formed fruit.  The tayberry has flowers on and the autumn fruiting raspberry canes are shooting up now.

Tue 2-May-17
12:34 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

April , has been such a dry Month, we will all suffer for it.  So cold here, with a biting Wind, going on Five Weeks now, and still the same. My Radish should be ready in another couple of Weeks, but Lettuce, and Spring Onions, not for ages.  Must go out and Water, before Friend comes, don't think I have ever had to water in early May.

Tue 2-May-17
4:55 pm
Sooliz
Somerset

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 8084

Yes, it's been exceptionally dry here, just yesterday we had the first real rain in weeks. 

We've grown nothing from seed so far this year, just starting to buy a few plug plants, in the past few days we've got 2 kinds of tomatoes, cucumber, courgettes, purple sprouting broccoli and yellow peppers.  Husband's already planted onion sets and early potatoes, he's just about to sow some peas.

We've got loads of strawberries flowering, oh and a workmate of husband's gave him a few other strawberry plants the other day, they're called Pineberry, they're apparently white fruits that look like strawberries but taste of pineapple!  Our blackcurrants and blueberries have tiny fruits on them, the raspberries are already waist high, the pear trees have lots of tiny fruit too.  The dessert apple had tons of blossom, so hoping for a good crop from that.  I doubt we'll get much, if any, from the cooking apple, it's still too young, however, our new neighbours 2 doors away (owners of Betty's friend Poppy the spaniel) have a large old cooking apple tree in their garden, which they've said we can share.  We've had lots of rhubarb already....which reminds me, I must get some more in to cook and freeze.  I'll take some pics of the new big polytunnel and what's in it when husband's finished kitting it out with bark chips and staging, will put them on the FB CSH page.

learning to love veg…..except celery :-O

Thu 4-May-17
3:32 pm
Ambersparkle

Supreme Being
Members

New members

Been down Garden, watered, still no sign of any Rain. Potted up Rosemary, Parsley, and Mint, all new Plants.  Sat for at least half an Hour in the Shelter of the Shed, to get some Sun. Radish will be about another Week, which is not bad here considering the cold Weather.  Topped up the Pond, it seems to go down so quickly, and really the Pond Iris, needed at least halving, as it is taking up so much room, but nobody will do it, and it is too late now, making rapid growth.  So pretty when it blooms, but it has become such a Thug.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
27 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16212

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2323

Newest Members:

FrankDum, JoseBattaglia, crystaivf, ElenofulA, Rickyfrere, Williamkep

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder