I have been making Chilli Jam for a couple of years now with mixed results. The jam flavour is good but getting it to set is very hit and miss.
I follow the recipe below which i got from the internet.
My first attempt was perfect but the second lot was very runny and did not set up as jam should.
I put this down to having the lid partially on the saucepan and i think the condensation from the mixture went into the pot so weakening the Jam sugar.
My next attempt was quite good, leaving the saucepan lid off but the next lot did not set up and that was without the lid on the saucepan.
I am really scratching my head now, does any one have any ideas or recommendations.
Hi, I make jam a lot, but unfortunately I haven't made chilli jam!
I looked on Nigella's site:
I wonder if this may help.
Briefly, it does suggest that preserving sugar will not set, but jam sugar should set as it has added pectin. You mentioned jam sugar, is that what you're using?
Also to boil for just ten minutes only, as you said you do, and then to leave for 30-40 mins before putting into jars. Cooking for longer than ten minutes you could find the pectin begins to deteriorate, and then will not set. Also not to make it in too large a quantity (whatever that is!!). This sounds like just what you're doing, so I wonder if the ripeness of the peppers has any impact on the setting - normally it should be a combination of ripe and under-ripe fruits.
Doing the saucer test may give you an idea as to whether it will set.
(It does suggest using it as chilli sauce if not setting!)
Sorry I can't be of more help, and good luck with it.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. My recipe actually is Nigella's one.
I have been thinking what happened and like i said it was more than likely putting a lid on the pot during boiling. The overall weight of the ingredients is 1750g, after the boil and cooling process it should be 750g which would fill three 250g Kilner type jars but i actually had more than that. This means that the condensation from the lid weakened the sugar and pectin. This resulted in the jam not setting.
I did re-boil the mixture and it removed a further 200g, this meant there was not enough to fill the three 250g jars. It did setup a bit more like jam but not as much was it should be, the re-boil reduced the overall mixture but did not allow a good jam set.
In short my fault on this batch.
I will be making some more in the New Year and will not use a lid lol
I quite fancy making some Marmalade as i really like the ones that have course peel in them, a bit of bite. I got some from a craft fair that was orange with lime, it was just lovely lol.
Hi, I do make marmalade, and always add a touch of something a bit different.
For my Christmas marmalade I soak a small bag of dried cranberries in Cognac, I think it is 100gms or 125gms, and add that after the marmalade pan is switched off (at the end, of course!), with the soaking Cognac, just for a bit of oomph.
Homemade marmalade is the best! I will not have anything else! I cannot get Seville oranges here so have to use a mix! Lemon and lime is yummy!
Trying to enjoy life as it is
Most Users Ever Online: 767
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 11
Newest Members:RobertasseK, EdwardDum, Suzanneclics, Brianalile, JamesSlops, RickySek
Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10, Fiona Nevile: 0
Administrators: Danny: 5517