stumbling self sufficiency in a small space

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Ideas for CSH meet-up June/July 2011
Sun 4-Jul-10
9:04 pm
mutley
Didcot/uk

Expert
Members
Forum Posts: 890
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

autumn harvest festival sounds good, i love the autum and i could print off some licence,s lol

Mon 5-Jul-10
1:00 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

I too favour the start it small and see how it develops approach, with folk bringing along offerings of booze and preserves, and perhaps crafts if they have the space in their luggage, for swapping purposes.

For the first one perhaps a really laid back informal thing, with no stalls or overly time tabled happenings (unless say there was to be a grand cookout for dinner that was at a certain time) would b best, as the organisation of of a more formal strcture would 1) betime consuming and 2) feel a bit weird to me.

I also second master Mutley's question about camping facilties. if there's a good camp site near by, and a few of us planing to sojourn under canvass, we could perhaps pitch our tents together and make a mini second site for the festivities.

This is all dependent on where I live come next summer/harvest time. I might be in nothern spain or Canada by then Frown

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Mon 5-Jul-10
10:37 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1636

Hi everyone

just a rambling thought ,for our wedding we held a second party for friends and family at the weekend (we got married mid week )and we decided to do a family favourite ,a plate party we booked the hall and supplied the music and everyone brings a plate of food enough for themselves and 1other ,this can be sandwiches savouries pies puddings or a mix of all or any of them we also supplied basic booze but told people if they wanted something special to bring that too on the same basis ,although i don't think booze would be a problem at a csh doo judging by the drinks section .anyway the beauty of this system is it doesn't matter how many turn up as there should be just a little more food than guests if everyone does the same .you also get to sample others favourites as well as regular stuff .all the food is put on a buffet table and you help yourself just like a buffet just a thought if this turns out to be a friendly get together for a few hours it solves the problem of catering for an unknown number of people with varying tastes

I am probably stating the obvious but I'm good at thatBig_LaughBig_LaughDoh

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Mon 5-Jul-10
10:44 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10533

No, MOS, it isn't stating the obvious, but it is a good idea.

When we lived in Holland, a number of us got together once a month, and we did exactly as you suggest - and it was great. Some people much prefer cooking savouries, and others prefer sweeter (cakes, desserts, biscuits, etc). Some don't like cooking - they can bring the cheese and snacks, grapes or soft drinks, etc.

We also do this in France for the village get-together. One year, there were five of us who brought a creamy garlic dip with crudities - but hey, they still got eaten!!!!! No worries.

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Tue 6-Jul-10
6:57 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

That is good, MOS, for the very reasons you state - no big catering task for F and myself and no wastage if numbers are small. Um as prefer can bring some vino or beer instead. Food can be either cold for ease or heated up if required in our kitchen. We would lay on some drinks in any case and a joint or two etc. The buffet idea is ideal because then no worries about arriving at a specific time and people can graze throughout the day as required.

Rae and Mutley - while the area has no campsites that I know of, our neighbour hosts family camp-ins every summer. It is likely that she would oblige for our guests also for the equivalent of your average campsite fee. I must ask.

Bobquail - there are at least four B&Bs in the village, plus Newmarket is only 3 miles away with several hotels and B&Bs to choose from.

It does not really matter whether we opt for a summer or harvest date. The English weather is unpredictable so I guess the chances of a good day are the same either way. We may take a poll on that to gauge general preferences.

Seeing as you mentioned it first, Joanna, what range of dates would you consider "Harvest" to be?

Thanks for your suggestions, all. It is heartening to see such a positive response.

Never knowingly underfed

Tue 6-Jul-10
9:07 am
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079

WWe would lay on some drinks in any case and a joint or two etc."

's that a joint of meat or some other substance, D?

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Tue 6-Jul-10
9:33 am
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

Harvest I would think of as late September or early October. My ideal time is actually November, it is wet, dull and miserable here until it snows but then that has absolutely no chance of an outdoor do at all. Doh

Tue 6-Jul-10
12:11 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Rae Mond said:

's that a joint of meat or some other substance, D?

Oh, the yoot of today Doh

Big_Laugh

I guess that would indeed be too late, Joanna. Maybe we will have to wait for the Journey to Somewhere get together to meet up!

Never knowingly underfed

Tue 6-Jul-10
6:43 pm
JoannaS
Latvia

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 4800

Oh that ones easy, there are camp sites, hotels and one flat - when it gets sorted Doh, still waiting for the door and the bathroom to be completed. Steam and we have plenty of space for an open air do. Timing is possibly difficult but May is perhaps ideal as it is before the wee beasties come out and the place is really pretty and quite often dry. Cheers

Wed 7-Jul-10
11:26 am
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294

I think the timing has to depend on Fiona and Danny, and the rest of us can hope to make it. I have no idea yet, but might be able to and would love to if I can! A big public event would take a lot of planning and £ up front. A smaller, forum event would take planning and hopefully not money up front. Not charging admission would be providing for friends, so that catering and health and safety legislation wouldn't apply in the same intrusive way, I think.

Stalls--how about one bring and swap stall?  I haven't been to Gardener's World Live, but something like the plant swap they talk about there. Any plants  for instance that Fiona has spare could start it off and be swapped with things we bring, and we could swap with each other. (This year I have some spare chilli plants, not sure what it might be next year.) Fiona/Danny could post on the forum ahead of time things that you wanted and what you had surplus of so we could be alerted. So you might end up with 50 jars of 2010 chutney, all different.

Presumably we could swap bottles of raspberry vodka, but not buy them. (So that means I need to remember to label things more fully than usual this year.)

Does anyone know anyone who opens a garden for the NGS scheme? They'd have a fair idea what was involved. I looked at their leaflet but it was pretty general.

Wed 7-Jul-10
12:01 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

Danny said:

That is good, MOS, for the very reasons you state - no big catering task for F and myself and no wastage if numbers are small. Um as prefer can bring some vino or beer instead. Food can be either cold for ease or heated up if required in our kitchen. We would lay on some drinks in any case and a joint or two etc.

Really sorry Danny but I think that being an ex-police officer, it means I won't be able to attend.   

I know that MOS has the C of P dressing up as the Green Man and cavourting, and I don't really know your relationship with your local police but I think notifying them that you will 'provide a joint or two' is a bit risque.  If you get raided it will spoil the whole event but not for me to pour cold water on your idea of how to have a good time...Whistle Whistle

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Wed 7-Jul-10
2:10 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

Oh you lot Steam

Well, well, well, Elsa - never would have guessed that you had a gamekeeper history!

Just for clarification:

A joint of roast beef and a joint of roast lamb, plus roast chicken - now it is entirely up to our guests whether they want to eat them or smoke them (I mean inhale) . . . . Big_Laugh

Never knowingly underfed

Wed 7-Jul-10
3:10 pm
mike.
Coventry

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1265

I think the idea of combining the meet-up with camping - it should be fun. Sitting around outside the tents in the evening, having a few glasses of wine, possibly with candles or tea-lights scattered around for more light. Like a slightly more civilised foodie version of being at a rock festival.

Visit my blog for food, drink, photography and hamsters.

Wed 7-Jul-10
3:20 pm
ep
Bulgaria

Supreme Being
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 3967

Can we leave it up to you Bobquail to order the weather....pretty please.....

Who lives long sees much : The diary of my life in Bulgaria

Wed 7-Jul-10
9:13 pm
MOS
Cannock Chase

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1636

Danny said:

:

A joint of roast beef and a joint of roast lamb, plus roast chicken - now it is entirely up to our guests whether they want to eat them or smoke them (I mean inhale) . . . . Big_Laugh

I think smoking was rite Danny or dehydrating or picling or salting or potting or imersing in some sort of licker there is no end to what some of the regulars will do with stuff when they get hold of it .but i think inhaling it will come with time someone will work out a way to inhale beef if there is one MOS.

sit down with a cupa and the urge will subside

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10533

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6701

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16212

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2323

Newest Members:

FrankDum, JoseBattaglia, crystaivf, ElenofulA, Rickyfrere, Williamkep

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516

Copyright © 2006-2012 Cottage Smallholder      Our Privacy Policy      Advertise on Cottage Smallholder