Ideas for CSH meet-up June/July 2011 | Page 6 | Self sufficiency | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Ideas for CSH meet-up June/July 2011
Thu 15-Jul-10
10:57 pm
Rae Mond
Waalre, NL

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1079
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

sounds like a plan Kate! I'll probably have my other half with me though, I don't know if you'll have space for the pair of us?

Intolerance will not be tolerated.

Fri 16-Jul-10
7:15 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829

Rae- Yep. No problem.

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Sat 17-Jul-10
10:17 pm
SandyC
Turkey

Enthusiast
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 221

I have no idea if this is legal, but to raise funds for charity in Saudi (or CSH getogether) we used to have a monthly 100 club. A hundred numbers are sold and a monthly pay out is made of 50%,25% & 10% or what ever % is agreeable.A fund could build up for those attending and a chance to feel involved could be extended to those who cannot.

The more people I meet, the more I love my animals!

Sat 17-Jul-10
10:51 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin
Forum Posts: 5516

Thank you, Sandy. That is a neat idea.Maybe we can tie it in with our Christmas hamper exchange programme.

If only i can find that thread.

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 17-Jul-10
11:25 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10534

Danny - look under 'Competitions' (????)

big_laugh   brightsparklystuff

Women are like tea bags. . .
you never know how strong they are
until they're in hot water.
- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sat 17-Jul-10
11:43 pm
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

BS - I think you should be offered the post of Go-getter And Finder. Thanks! welldone

Never knowingly underfed

Sat 17-Jul-10
11:56 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

One of the few things I am good at! CES; Go-getter And Finder - goodness where will it all lead?

Don't offer me too many posts - I might get swollen-headed!!!!!!!! big_laugh   big_laugh

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sun 18-Jul-10
10:44 am
devongarden
Devon, UK

Councillor
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 1294

100 clubs are fairly common. Do they have to be run for (or by) charities?

Insurance and the get together: I know that insurance companies aren't too keen to insure houses if they are used for business purposes, especially if a business means there are visitors to the house. Checking that aspect out seems important--having house insurance cancelled because you have had a lot of visitors would not be pleasant, nor would having them argue it was business not personal. I guess people who open gardens would have the answers to this. I'd hate to have this crop up as a last minute hitch, hence mentioning it now.

Sun 18-Jul-10
11:43 am
Danny
Scarborough, England
Admin

That is a valid point, Barbara.

I think we need to ensure it is merely a private party but still worth checking the facts with our insurance company.

Never knowingly underfed

Sun 18-Jul-10
11:59 am
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

Danny, Barbara's valid point could also extend to your barn shop - insurance would be another expense - people tripping walking down your drive, for example.

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sun 18-Jul-10
12:01 pm
KateUK
uk

Councillor
Members
Forum Posts: 1829

If you tell them in advance that walking down the drive is at their own risk...surely you would be covered...madness.....

Kateuk makes things at http://www.etsy.com/shop/finkstuff and sometimes she does this too http://www54paintings.blogspot.com/ and also this http://finkstuff.weebly.com/

Sun 18-Jul-10
12:30 pm
brightspark
Wilts

Supreme Being
Members

So much to think about, though, so many 'avenues' to cover when you're thinking about insurance.

Phew!

I envisage plenty of these  medicine as a respite..

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Sun 18-Jul-10
4:56 pm
mutley
Didcot/uk

Expert
Members
Forum Posts: 890

Beer runaway not for me jade,s ider,whistle

Sun 18-Jul-10
5:32 pm
SandyC
Turkey

Enthusiast
Members

New members
Forum Posts: 221

A few years back we put our holiday cottages in the hands of a british company Tapestry( before they went bust owing us a years rent) They came at the begining of the season to check that we had fire precautions etc.etc. They told us that we had too much in our first aid kits!!!!!!! We had to take out plasters as some people are allergic and could sue the company. I pointed out that we have adult people renting and should know what they are allergic to. They were very put out when I suggested I removed the kettles because they boiled water and somebody could get scalded. This world is going mad on litigation.

The more people I meet, the more I love my animals!

Sun 18-Jul-10
10:31 pm
danast
Argyll, Scotland

Supreme Being
Members
Forum Posts: 10232

Yesterday I attended an Open Garden Day in a small garden in the Borders.  The garden has been developed as a Forest garden over a period of 15 years.  Permaculture encourages the idea of maximum output for minimum effort and encourages the usage of  all layers in a garden from the canopy to the ground.  It was most interesting and although the garden was not large - about 0.4 of an acre every area of the garden was used.  At first it just seemed a totally crowded area, but on a guided tour you quickly realised the design and order that has happened over the years.  

Anyway the main reason for this post was to describe how well the day  was organised.  The garden was open from 11-4.   On arrival  we were greeted by the host and  after pleasantries  and practical issues  we had an initial wander round the garden on our own. Not long after, we had a proper guided tour.  This was so enlightening and quite inspirational.  

Eventually there were over 20 people there and as we had been asked to bring food to share for lunch this was a great meal.  The hosts had provided soup, a veg curry and different crumbles for a sweet.  We had collected salad leaves and edible  flowers from  the garden and all our food was laid out on tables, one of which was in a small gazebo.  This was a super meal, with lots of stimulating chat and much laughter.  There were people from different parts of Scotland and it was interesting to hear their stories.  

We then had another talk from one of the hosts. who described their journey, their successes and failures, highs and lows.  

We all helped pick lots of soft fruit and then we had the chance to buy fruit and plants.  The proceeds were divided equally between keeping the garden going and a hospital In Africa.  

All in all it was a simple, but very effective day.  It was not over organised with the emphasis on the garden and the people and not being in any way flash.  It brought like minded people together and that was as valuable as looking at the garden.  We left feeling happy and relaxed.

It has made me realise that things can be done simply and still be informative and fun.  Perhaps a lesson for our get together next year.  So Fiona and Danny would not have to worry and they could enjoy themselves too.  big_hug

Old teachers never die, they just lose their class

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 767

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

brightspark: 10534

danast: 10232

Aly: 9516

Sooliz: 8084

Hattie: 6920

Ambersparkle: 6699

JoannaS: 4800

Terrier: 4518

eileen54: 4424

Hannah: 4231

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 10

Members: 16162

Moderators: 2

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 6

Forums: 25

Topics: 2272

Newest Members:

datafastproxiespx01, IrinaSepsy, MariyaGrona, ThomasNaw, ScottTyhor, NetworthRCM

Moderators: Toffeeapple: 16337, AdminTA: 10

Administrators: fn: 333, Danny: 5516